PDA

View Full Version : confused with elk draw area... ?

204rug.ftw
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
hey as some may know i drew and elk draw for zone x of MU:4-03, i have been looking at the elk leh map for this zone, and the area is outlined in pink, and this area is much larger than the MU 4-03, and extends up and past fort steele. just wondering if the draw includes the other MU's that are in the 1100 metre and below range that i MAY, or MAY not hunt.. thanks

coquitlam
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
You lucky guy, That`s my tag you go. The LEH MU covers all those MU`s in the general reg. I love that area not only for the hunting but also for all the friendly people. Have fun

sawmill
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Zone X 03 has open flattop and spike bull as well,under 1100 meters.And it it huge.Kimberley is /was the highest incorperated city in Canada and it is 1100 meters.

J_T
07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
The new regulations are a bit confusing with the Agricultural zone x areas. Last year, a zone x tag for a Management Unit was only valid below 1100 metres in that MU. This year, your zone x LEH is for the entire zone x. The MU is no longer a factor. The regs refer to the ag zone in the East Kootenay trench as 4-03x but it covers all the MU's.

This has been discussed and recognized that it's confusing. I'm sure something in the future will work to clarify it. Unless your LEH states a specific MU, you are open to hunt and harvest anywhere within the pink lined area.

You can check with any Region 4 MOE office to confirm.

sawmill
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah it IS confusing.When I first saw the GOS map I coundn`t figure why 03 took in big chunks of 20 and 21.Oh well,I`m just glad it does.I don`t have to kiss a farmers butt to hunt elk.

Darksith
07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
you would think one would understand what and where they were putting in for before they put in for it. I can understand never being there before, but only realizing these things now kinda grinds a guys gears a bit.

To answer your question your area is based on elevation, not boarders. This is b/c the farmers are down low, and you are trying to help them remove problem elk. You will get a phone call with info on how to contact farmers that want hunters on their property, pay attention to that, it is your free pass.

204rug.ftw
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
The new regulations are a bit confusing with the Agricultural zone x areas. Last year, a zone x tag for a Management Unit was only valid below 1100 metres in that MU. This year, your zone x LEH is for the entire zone x. The MU is no longer a factor. The regs refer to the ag zone in the East Kootenay trench as 4-03x but it covers all the MU's.

This has been discussed and recognized that it's confusing. I'm sure something in the future will work to clarify it. Unless your LEH states a specific MU, you are open to hunt and harvest anywhere within the pink lined area.

You can check with any Region 4 MOE office to confirm.

thanks, helps alot. i appreciate it

07-09-2010, 09:10 AM
This year, your zone x LEH is for the entire zone x. The MU is no longer a factor. The regs refer to the ag zone in the East Kootenay trench as 4-03x but it covers all the MU's.

Also be aware that this only applies to those MUs south of Canal Flats and the new combined zone (4-03) does not include the x-zones in 4-24 and 4-26.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_maps/Elk_4-03_Zone_X.pdf