PDA

View Full Version : How long have you bowhunted and how many big game animals have you harvested?

GoatGuy
07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
With all the talk, just wondering.........

It's anonymous.

07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I've been bowhunting since the fall of 2008...I have taken one muley buck and one whitetail buck. I also got a ruffed grouse with a Judo tip...it worked great. I am totally addicted now.

ThinAir
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I've had way more chances than kills. Tough sport:-D

mikek blacktail
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
18yrs and more than thirty average three or more a year...

Bow Walker
07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I've hunted more than 10 years and have 'harvested' less than 10 animals. I lost one and have recovered 3 more. Yup - that adds up to <10 animals alright.

It just ain't that easy, unless you're fudgin' a bit.

Caribou_lou
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I have hunted 5 years myself. 4 bull moose harvested and Two Blackbears. Looking to go for my first Deer this season. Maybe goat if I have time.

Bow Walker
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I have hunted 5 years myself. 4 bull moose harvested and Two Blackbears. Looking to go for my first Deer this season. Maybe goat if I have time.
Looks like I'm not hunting in the right places. :evil:

It's tough to be successful when all you can do are day-hunts.:(

That's my excuse - and I'm stickin' to it.:wink:

Caribou_lou
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
It's tough to be successful when all you can do are day-hunts.:(

I agree with you there. I worked hard for most of those moose. Got lucky last year on the first day. But I find the hardest part is finding the moose first. Once you find them its easy. Sometimes it takes me a few days though and lost of hiking.

I never give up, I think I owe that to much of my success. Leaned that from my father.

BlacktailStalker
07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
About 8 years, only harvested a handful of animals with it though, deer and bears.
I may try for my goat with it this year...

jrjonesy
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
My success rates went way up when I noticed that historically, pretty much all of my rifle kills were at relatively close range. I seldomly hunt with my rifle anymore and spend a lot of time in "close" setups in treestands.
I also probably see less game than most but when/if it does wander along, there is a good chance I'll have an opportunity.:-D

urbanhermit
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
2 years, one deer, 20 chickens, rabbits.
I like this post!

urbanhermit
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
My success rates went way up when I noticed that historically, pretty much all of my rifle kills were at relatively close range. I seldomly hunt with my rifle anymore and spend a lot of time in "close" setups in treestands.
I also probably see less game than most but when/if it does wander along, there is a good chance I'll have an opportunity.:-D

x2. i prefer thick brush set ups, unharassed deer usually stick to the one or two trails youre sitting on..

Bow Walker
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way (or at least - not quite right) as I do the spot-n-stalk thingy for the most part. Sometimes I'll do the still-hunt thing, which I like.

pappy
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
2 Island bucks and 1 mulie in about 5 seasons, all spot and stalk. I only bow hunt till gun season starts up. Its a good warm up to get your skills honed as its more of a challenge.

lilhoss
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
2 black bears,and one misfire on a blacktail deer (broken nock).The thing I like most is the spot and stalk to within range.Even if you don't shoot,it's still a rush.

Archer
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Bowhunted for 4 years, and have killed 6 deer (3 mulie does, 3 mulie bucks), and 3 bears (2 Alberta bears, 1 Island bear). Spot and stalk only so far, but I just got a trailcam set up, and have pics of whitetail bucks walking by this falls treestand location almost every evening. I'm finally gonna break my whitetail curse!

ROEBUCK
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
been an archer for 6 years ,a hunter for 30 years!

bow hunted for 3 years, shot 2 mulies ,1 spike and 1 doe!

and 3 black bears,

all my bowkills have been spot and stalk!

and although none of them have been huge!

they are all my biggest trophy memories!

any big game bowkill is a trophy of a lifetime

bowhunterbruce
07-09-2010, 04:17 AM
i've had a bow most of my life however i got serious about bowhunting 7 years ago.i'm at 17 animals now with my bow and counting.
i love the challenges and by hunting with a bow it has provided me with more oppertunities to get meat in the freezer.
talking to numerous farmers throughout the okanagan has been a great way to put what i call "sugar bucks" in the back of the truck.when most of thier diet has consisted of fruit ,it makes the meat taste that much better and helps keep the price per pound down,which in turn allows for more hunting trips for other animals like moose,elk,and goat.
happy hunting
bruce

Slinky Pickle
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm close enough to my 50th birthday that I should know better but this will be my inaugural bow season. I'm still working on the "pointy goes forward" aspect of it but I'm coming along slowly.

Shade Tree
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
20+ yrs, my goat is by best trophy. It's been over 10 years since my last bowkill, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

houndogger
07-10-2010, 02:45 PM
I have bowhunted about 13 or 14 years. I would have to dig back through old licences to get a number count but it would be well over 20. Only a handfull of deer but usually 2 bears a year...

killman
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
0 years bowhunting and 0 kills. It can only get better from here!

The Hermit
07-10-2010, 04:07 PM
What are you trying to get a handle on here GG? The timeframe is dubious... a year/season might be two weekends out with the bow for some and others might put 50 days in.

No snobbery intended here but to me an equally interesting question is: what archery tackle was used? Crossbow? Compound? Recurve/Longbow?

In my case, first year of bow hunting was with a compound bow = 1 black bear + one small WT buck (probably 20 days in field with the bow)

Two years now with longbow = 1 fatally wounded BT deer (eventually killed by Trevor with his crossbow) (probably 15days/year) Passed up at least 10 WT doe from treestand while elk hunting)

I hope to take a LEH grizzly and a goat this year with the longbow... will carry a shotgun and have a back-up shooter for protection with big rifle. Will also be trying for elk again...

greybark
07-10-2010, 04:19 PM
20+ yrs, my goat is by best trophy. It's been over 10 years since my last bowkill, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

:-DHey Shade Tree , You got it . The heart of a Bowhunter !!!!!!!
Cheers

Mik
07-10-2010, 05:21 PM
What happened to the ... tried Bowhunting many years ago...nevergot anything column in the poll ???????? So I moved back to the i love the thud from a rifle column too much!!!!!!!!!

GoatGuy
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
What are you trying to get a handle on here GG? The timeframe is dubious... a year/season might be two weekends out with the bow for some and others might put 50 days in.

No snobbery intended here but to me an equally interesting question is: what archery tackle was used? Crossbow? Compound? Recurve/Longbow?

In my case, first year of bow hunting was with a compound bow = 1 black bear + one small WT buck (probably 20 days in field with the bow)

Two years now with longbow = 1 fatally wounded BT deer (eventually killed by Trevor with his crossbow) (probably 15days/year) Passed up at least 10 WT doe from treestand while elk hunting)

I hope to take a LEH grizzly and a goat this year with the longbow... will carry a shotgun and have a back-up shooter for protection with big rifle. Will also be trying for elk again...

Curiosity............

tbocking
07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
2 years now and have 1 wt buck 1 wt doe and 1 mulie buck many grouse and bunnies tried very hard last year for a moose but no luck

Onesock
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Curiosity.......I doubt it........!

BearSniper
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I tried archery when I was younger, but have never hunted anything with a Bow. Don't think I could very well:icon_frow

I respect those who can

TyTy
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
First kill, was with a bow, quadra island doe. easy start.

Going to use a tree stand this year, and also going to designate certain areas i hunt, that i know intimately to bow hunts; after-work hunts.

Shot a bow for years, but switched to a rifle, success is very difficult when you don't know the area well.

Ron.C
07-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I bowhunted for a couple years as a teen, but never with much success.

I picked it up again in 2001 and since have harvested 5 blacktail, 11 Whitetail, and 3 elk with the bow. Lots of does/spikes and forks. Only one 4x4 WT that most would consider a "trophy", but all were exciting and rewarding hunts that I wouldn't trade for anything.

My most memorable animal was probably my first elk, a small cow. Absolutely awesome morning.

greybark
07-17-2010, 05:55 PM

:wink: Hey Hermit , Grizzly with a longbow eh . Can I place a bow camera on your bow facing towards you ?:-D The look on your face with a giant Grizz at 20 yards would be "Priceless: :-D Then again you may Nail a brute !!!!!!

Shootingblanks
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Great Thread :)

This will be my second season with a crossbow (I know, I know...it's not a bow). I was out a few times, but saw nothing. This year I'm thinking of heading to one of the Gulf Islands to better my chances. Living in the big smoke...I don't get much of a chance to scout. Officially I'm 0-1.

Kody94
07-29-2010, 06:11 PM
The numbers are quite interesting....based on the 'demographic' there seems to be good uptake of bowhunting.

Blacktail
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
25 years of bowhunting
nine BT bucks
couple WT bucks
a few BT, WT, and Mulie does
couple black bears
whole bunch of chickens
and............................................... ....

more trees, stumps, and rocks than all put together:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
07-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Great Thread :)

This will be my second season with a crossbow (I know, I know...it's not a bow). I was out a few times, but saw nothing. This year I'm thinking of heading to one of the Gulf Islands to better my chances. Living in the big smoke...I don't get much of a chance to scout. Officially I'm 0-1.
Yeah, it may not be a bow but it IS considered archery equipment.

Flame On!!

Big Lew
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
I've bow-hunted over 20 years, possibly 25-6, and have arrowed 13, mostly mulie bucks (1 doe), some whitetail bucks, and one really old knarly blacktail.

calvin L
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Well I have been bow hunting over ten year and have been able to harvest mule & white tail deer, b/bear ,moose , and birds . I have missed some and turned down more from looking for the big boy's . I think it is time to start punching tag's to fill the freezer as I will soon have one more to feed in the house :mrgreen:

calvin L

It has been my hope for years that moe would give us more than deer and bears to play with for a couple of weeks . FD don't wet your pants it would be nice to be able to harvest different animals not just deer . in the bow season we have now . :wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
It has been my hope for years that moe would give us more than deer and bears to play with for a couple of weeks . FD don't wet your pants it would be nice to be able to harvest different animals not just deer . in the bow season we have now . :wink:

I totally agree ... I cant Harvest my LEH Bull Moose in the 9 day archery season ... and i think that is silly as the LEH (for mine anyway) is sept 10 to Nov 30th, so the whole GOS ... why not include the archery seaons with that????
So I will go scouting for moose with my bow in hand sept 1st -9 and If I see a deer or bear its gonna get an arrow

BC4Bowhunter
07-31-2010, 02:17 PM
I have been bowhunting for ten years and harvested 7 mule deer bucks, 3 whitetail does and 2 WT bucks,and three black bears with my bow. I am still trying for a bull elk and a moose with my bow and a sheep if I ever get a draw.

GoatGuy
08-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Well I have been bow hunting over ten year and have been able to harvest mule & white tail deer, b/bear ,moose , and birds . I have missed some and turned down more from looking for the big boy's . I think it is time to start punching tag's to fill the freezer as I will soon have one more to feed in the house :mrgreen:

calvin L

Another jam eater for you? Congrats!

What happened to the 4 season bowhunters?

Buck
08-01-2010, 09:40 AM
I have been Bowhunting for 4 years and no kills to date.I had a great chance last year but missed.I have passed up some iffy shots which i am proud of.Each season i am getting better at placing stands which is not easy when i have only one week and a 10 hour drive to try and arrow a whitey.I am practising more at 3D and have trained my dog for bloodtracking.Hopefully this will be the season as i really like bowhunting.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-01-2010, 09:43 AM

thats not the point of his post ... his point is for sept 1st -9th Archery only season for example... Its illegal to take a moose (at least in my neck of the woods) other than blatently obvious of "Moose season doesnt open until the 10th of sept" Whats the reasoning behind it??? the only reasoning I have gotten so far is " The Government says so" I have yet to see any scientific proof that the world will come to an end if Archers wishing to take advantage of the early seasons (or late for that matter) harvest a Moose on september 8th as opposed to the 10th

Ambush
08-01-2010, 02:38 PM
At least one here, and a few more that I hunt with.

GoatGuy
08-01-2010, 03:25 PM
thats not the point of his post ... his point is for sept 1st -9th Archery only season for example... Its illegal to take a moose (at least in my neck of the woods) other than blatently obvious of "Moose season doesnt open until the 10th of sept" Whats the reasoning behind it??? the only reasoning I have gotten so far is " The Government says so" I have yet to see any scientific proof that the world will come to an end if Archers wishing to take advantage of the early seasons (or late for that matter) harvest a Moose on september 8th as opposed to the 10th

At least one here, and a few more that I hunt with.

Sorry guys, it was an inside joke. :wink:

BZ Mikey, if you think hunting regulations have anything to do with science I've got a 25 year old racehorse I can sell ya, he's a guaranteed winner.

thatskindafunny
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
You know, it's not how many animals you've taken that matters butttttttttt while bow hunting I have had more close encounters and more smiles on my face than any other type of hunting.

MikeH
08-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I've been an Archer for 20 plus yrs hunting for 18 yrs taken 7 deer 1 moose.I could have more but I choose to rifle hunt also if I stuck with the bow full time I'd have a kill for every yr hunted.

thatskindafunny You know, it's not how many animals you've taken that matters butttttttttt while bow hunting I have had more close encounters and more smiles on my face than any other type of hunting.
totally agree with you there.I see way more game while walking with the bow than rifle less pressure i guess.