PDA

View Full Version : Moose liver

stinney
07-08-2010, 03:38 AM
do people harvest the liver from their moose or deer these days? I remember having it quite often as a kid and how amazing it was. However in the 2010 synopisis its not recommended as they have high cadmium levels. thoughts?

boxhitch
07-08-2010, 06:29 AM
in the 2010 synopisis its not recommended Something new. Does it state all species or all areas ??

The Hermit
07-08-2010, 07:07 AM
we ate the the liver in camp from the smaller bull last year but left the big old boy's liver for the squirrels.

Steeleco
07-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Here too, I save the liver of the deer and moose if we're fortunate to bag one.
I don't eat as much as I'd like to due a good dose of Gout, but what I don't eat is gladly gobbled up by friends and family.

CanuckShooter
07-08-2010, 07:29 AM
do people harvest the liver from their moose or deer these days? I remember having it quite often as a kid and how amazing it was. However in the 2010 synopisis its not recommended as they have high cadmium levels. thoughts?

Where would the cadmium be coming from????:confused:

Steeleco
07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I just did a search of the synopsis and can't find the ref you speak of?
Searched the terms "liver, organ and cadmium" NADA

Where did you see it?? Thx

Roots
07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I saw this notice somewhere as well, but now I can't find it... :neutral:

Different plants uptake different trace metals directly from the soil, and in turn, get consumed by animals who depend on them. Arsenic,cadmium, cobalt, copper, lead, manganese, nickel, selenium and zinc, are just a few that are sucked up from the soil. I know that Willow is known to suck up more than its share of cadmium. The concentrations of these metals in the liver and kidneys of game animals are dependant on many factors, including the geology of the area where the animals graze, as well the effect of pollution. Some soils are 'richer' than others, naturally, or due to us.

The main job of the liver is to break down many, many different toxins, including drugs. As my old toxicology prof once said, "Why people would choose to eat an organ as loaded (concentrated) with "God Knows What" is beyond me. Everything will have to pass through your liver...which in the long term can't possibly be good."

Ate plenty of the stuff growing up, but now it makes me wonder and think twice.

One study (http://ijch.fi/issues/63suppl2/ICCH12_Jin_2.pdf) concluded: "Adults may continue to eat moose kidney and liver occasionally and in moderate amounts, but children and cigarette smokers
should not eat these organs at all. Consumption of moose muscle need not be restricted."

rifleman
07-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I usually have a good feed of fresh liver from most of the animals I harvest.
Fry it up in butter & onions for dinner & finish the left over for breakfast.
It's probally better for ya than farm raised meat..

MuleyMadness
07-08-2010, 08:38 AM
It's not in the synopsis but the above is correct. The above from Roots makes perfect sense, however I wonder if having one serving of liver/kidney or so a year is such a big deal. I suspect it wouldn't make an iota of difference to your overall health, but probably eating it a couple of times a month for years wouldn't be a good idea.

It's the whole "well this has been proven to cause cancer/sickness in mice in massive amounts, so there remote possibility that it could do the same in people, if they were similarily disposed to eat overwhelmingly large amounts of it" thing all over again.

Let's be honest here, most heath risks have been so overblown as to be crazy. Even smoking, the pariah of our times (and I am a non smoker, with relatives who have passed from lung cancer) takes years of exposure to dangerous heavy metals, chemicals, and of course tar and smoke to do serious damage, and to elevate your risk of lung cancer. Not saying the danger isn't real or even likely, but it's not an instant cancer sentence, and neither is eating a little liver.

Let's take all this advice from the experts with a heap of moderation.

greasysidedown
07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
My personal view is : why eat a filter. However I know some people who go gaga over the stuff.
It's like the above post, in moderation.
The older tidal fishing regs used to tell the asians how much [in grams] of crab filters they could eat a week out of Howe Sound.

MichelD
07-08-2010, 09:04 AM
I love it. And elk liver. OMG! Just like deer liver only more of it!

I was sad I had to discard the liver from a Vancouver island elk once as it was encysted and diseased. Something about snails and living with domestic animals I was told. The meat was great.

luckynuts
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
These days with all the spraying that they do to replanted clear cuts i would not eat the liver of any animal. We were erecting a deer stand last august when a guy pulled up to our truck and started honking his horn we went out to meet him and he was asking us to leave due to a helicopter was on its way to spray an area we where in. Told us not to come back for a couple of days. 3 days later we drove in and found 3 moose munching away in the middle of it. Yeah no thanks to liver not anymore.

moondog
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
another thing to consider in regards to eating liver, at least for moose is that because plants are sessile (ie., they cannot move in response to predation) they must create compounds that make them less desirable to eat. There is a group of toxic compounds known as tannins and there is a large build up of these compounds in the woody material of plants. Moose are browsers in the winter time and consume high amounts of this stuff, which ends up in the liver. So, go on and eat that deer liver, but watch out for that moose, as many people have already mentioned on this thread, the liver is essentially a filter that traps a lot of the crap...yes it is high in iron, but if the animal has consumed toxic material, it will for sure be in the liver.
It is a shame about all the spraying and tailings left behind from old, current and future mining operations as well.

all that being said, in my opinion, you cannot beat going out into the wilderness and hunting as a way to provide for you and your faimly.

Vanman1985
07-08-2010, 10:31 AM

This is from the Yukon Synopsis,

http://environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/wildlifebiodiversity/wildlifediseases.php

Contaminants in Yukon Wildlife

What is Cadmium?

Cadmium is a metal that is found in natural ecosystems in the Yukon. The metal works its way into the soil, and then into plants through the roots. Animals eating those plants will then absorb the metal. Once it is in the body, cadmium may accumulate in the liver and kidney. Older animals tend to have higher levels of cadmium than younger ones.
Cadmium can cause kidney damage at high levels, although this has not been noted in Yukon. Cadmium does not accumulate in the muscle tissue of any animal.
Recommendations for Consumption

These recommendations are based on eating these amounts every year. If you don't eat any this year, you can eat twice as much next year and remain within the recommended limits.
Caribou and moose meat are very nutritious, and there is no limit on the amount of meat (muscle) recommended for consumption.
Tobacco contains much higher levels of cadmium than animal sources. Reducing or eliminating smoking is the most effective way of limiting cadmium intake.
Maximum recommended consumption of moose and caribou kidneys and livers are noted in the table below.Maximum Consumption of Organs, per person/year

-Kidneys -Livers

Caribou 7-32, 4-16
Moose 1, 1

BruceW
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Sheesh guys, I'd wager the majority of you live in a city, and let me tell you, I live about 300 mi. from Calgary, and if you take off from here climb up to 500' agl it's darn easy to get to Calgary, just head for the yellow grease spot on the horizon.....and Calgary's about the cleanest city I've ever seen.

Eat the liver for gosh sakes. Anything I shoot the liver's in the pan before it's even room temp. WHATEVER's in wild game is the least of your problems.

bcyukonair
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
i know lots of beef farmers that won't eat store bought beef because of chemicals put in them at feed lots. they only eat beef they raised themselves.

takla1
07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
We eat our moose liver asap after harvesting our animal.when gutting out your moose take care to keep it clean and get it into a fresh bucket of cold water to sak and cool for a few hours.Same as the heart,then we boil the two together till cooked,slice and dice into small squares and add to the soap pot with potatoes,oinions,carrots ,garlic, ect.Never had anyone not ask for seconds!Note that if you shoot a bull further in rut the liver wont be as good.Ans as someone else said ive got the gout as well but dont mind limping around for a week afterwards,the stews that good!!!!

sparkes3
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
in the pan before it stops twitching.the heart gets stuffed like a chicken at christmas.

BigSlapper
07-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Are you kidding me!? ... marinate 4 or 5 hours in milk, coat with a little flour ... into a pan with bacon, onions, salt/pepper ... and a small splash of red wine .... YOWZZZZA ... good eats!

Caribou_lou
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Are you kidding me!? ... marinate 4 or 5 hours in milk, coat with a little flour ... into a pan with bacon, onions, salt/pepper ... and a small splash of red wine .... YOWZZZZA ... good eats!

I think I enjoy the liver the most. This way is the best. And my girlfriend doesn't like it so I don't have to worry about it dissapearing before lunch the next day. now I can't wait to bag that early moose!

Ddog
07-12-2010, 07:16 PM
ewwwww,,,thats just yuckie disgusting,, i am with GSD on this,,why eat a filter organ design to filter contaminants from the body,,just cant be good for ya. i chuck it and always will, however the heart gets kept for a friend whom loves it.

300win
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I saw this notice somewhere as well, but now I can't find it... :neutral:

Different plants uptake different trace metals directly from the soil, and in turn, get consumed by animals who depend on them. Arsenic,cadmium, cobalt, copper, lead, manganese, nickel, selenium and zinc, are just a few that are sucked up from the soil. I know that Willow is known to suck up more than its share of cadmium. The concentrations of these metals in the liver and kidneys of game animals are dependant on many factors, including the geology of the area where the animals graze, as well the effect of pollution. Some soils are 'richer' than others, naturally, or due to us.

The main job of the liver is to break down many, many different toxins, including drugs. As my old toxicology prof once said, "Why people would choose to eat an organ as loaded (concentrated) with "God Knows What" is beyond me. Everything will have to pass through your liver...which in the long term can't possibly be good."

Ate plenty of the stuff growing up, but now it makes me wonder and think twice.

One study (http://ijch.fi/issues/63suppl2/ICCH12_Jin_2.pdf) concluded: "Adults may continue to eat moose kidney and liver occasionally and in moderate amounts, but children and cigarette smokers
should not eat these organs at all. Consumption of moose muscle need not be restricted."
Most people ate liver growing up because of another trace metal Iron, as for cadmium a the like, probably more toxins in the environment now!!!

stinney
07-13-2010, 02:34 PM
i cant seem to find the link anymore but it was recommending deer and moose in all areas. however it is just a recommendation.

mikek blacktail
07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
love it but won't eat it anymore .not worth the risk,but i have no facts or info .lol

BlacktailStalker
07-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Not I.
Eaten moose/elk heart before.
The hounds get all the organs now aside from blacktail liver which I save for my friends grandfather who is much too old to hunt now but very appreciative of it.

Lone Ranger
07-14-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm safe on that one, never could stand eating organs (kidneys, liver, tongue, heart, you name it). Much happier eating steaks and roasts than the organs, never seen the point of eating the body's filters and pump. LR

ratherbefishin
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I sure like deer liver-soak it overnight in salt water and cut it into strips and fry it up in bacon fat and onions...just don't overdo it or its like shoeleather.Should be barely done.Run any you don't eat through the blender with butter and mayo,salt and pepper ,chill and serve as pate'