PDA

View Full Version : rules and regs?

dougster
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
so i asked this in another thread and decided to start one just for this. is it considered baiting a bear if you return to a recent deer kill site? I am considering going for a black bear for pepperoni, and deer fill, and want to know if it would be illegal for me to return to the site where i field dressed a deer a day or two later. is that considered unlawful baiting? or is it just returning to a favorite spot and getting lucky?

Ozone
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Personally i would not, but I am from the Island and we have a lot of bears.

elkdom
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Once you harvest a big game animal in a certain location,,?:neutral:

You can NEVER return to that same spot!:icon_frow

it's right in the Hunting Regs on page 109 !:neutral:

Caveman
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Must be the supplement pages, as the regs only have 96 pages :wink:

dougster
07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
lol wow this is harder than i thought to get a strait answer... is this a question best saved for a co or does anyone here know for real???

Confused
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
It is illegal...period...end of story. You can not bait bears, which includes using animals, live or dead, or parts of. It is in the regs, black and white. too lazy to look up the page # for you.

NaStY
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Well if you really need an answer then you have more questions. It would be unethical to shoot a bear over a kill site.

dougster
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
k thanks guys, there are enough black bears roaming around that finding one shouldnt be to hard... probably easier than finding a deer

hopsing
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
so i asked this in another thread and decided to start one just for this. is it considered baiting a bear if you return to a recent deer kill site? I am considering going for a black bear for pepperoni, and deer fill, and want to know if it would be illegal for me to return to the site where i field dressed a deer a day or two later. is that considered unlawful baiting? or is it just returning to a favorite spot and getting lucky?

A good friend of mine shot a moose. Field dress and quartered it. Can only take half. It was getting late. They decided to come back for it next day. A big blackie was on it the next morning. He has a tag so he shot it. Moose and bear were confiscated. Lost his license for five years and fined.

Yes it is illegal. The ruling was, anyone on that hunting party will be considered baiting if they choose to shot a bear over a gut pile.

So shoot one and call me. :mrgreen:

Caveman
07-07-2010, 09:35 PM
In don't know dougster, If you didn't place the remains of the deer out there and you happen to walk past the kill every morning or set up a blind in the area, is it baiting. I would argue, no. Who to say it was your kill and not a predator kill that you are taking advantage of. :twisted:

dougster
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
or what if i am just hiking in a known hunting area and come across a bear eating the remains from a deer cleaning, whats the difference then... or if im heading back to my spot for a second deer because it is a good spot and i just happen to see the bear eating the guts, and i happen to have a tag

NaStY
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
or what if i am just hiking in a known hunting area and come across a bear eating the remains from a deer cleaning, whats the difference then... or if im heading back to my spot for a second deer because it is a good spot and i just happen to see the bear eating the guts, and i happen to have a tag

Apparently someone hasn't taken the core yet? While they are good questions, it would seem you are looking for an excuse to do what ever you want. If you find a bear eating a fresh kill, old kill or any kill. YOU CANT SHOOT IT..... End of story. If he is eating grass, berries or tree leaves, then shoot to your hearts content. :mrgreen:

07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Big grey area. Legal... no. you cant use any part to bait bears. Carcase guts nothin'

Caveman
07-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Bait - means anything, including meat, cereals,
cultivated crops, restrained animal or any
manufactured product or material, that may
attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation
foods, but does not include a decoy as
described under these regulations

I can not find what is considered the act of baiting, only what would be considered bait. Therefore if you didn't transport it to the location and plant it for the purpose of baiting, I think you may have a defense.

Challenge for clarification to HBC'ers Find what the definition of baiting is and not the opinion or interpretation of a CO

Ozone
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
End of story. If he is eating grass, berries or tree leaves, then shoot to your hearts content. :mrgreen:

Unless you planted the grass, berries or tree. :mrgreen:

elkdom
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
A good friend of mine shot a moose. Field dress and quartered it. Can only take half. It was getting late. They decided to come back for it next day. A big blackie was on it the next morning. He has a tag so he shot it. Moose and bear were confiscated. Lost his license for five years and fined.

Yes it is illegal. The ruling was, anyone on that hunting party will be considered baiting if they choose to shot a bear over a gut pile.

So shoot one and call me. :mrgreen:

you see! if your friends read "THE" Regs' Page 109 thoroughly ???:confused: they could have saved themselves a $hit-load of trouble!:wink:

Caveman
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Unless you planted the grass, berries or tree. :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the bear is eating grass from a cultivated crop, is it considered baiting even though you didn't plant it. Is this any different that sitting over a kill site provided by Mother Nature. What if you came across a dump site from some orchard of apples and found a bear on it.....different? I fail to see it.

elkdom
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if the bear is eating grass from a cultivated crop, is it considered baiting even though you didn't plant it. Is this any different that sitting over a kill site provided by Mother Nature. What if you came across a dump site from some orchard of apples and found a bear on it.....different? I fail to see it.

killing any Bear! over a kill IS considered baiting,,,
do it, admit it, call the CO and report what you did,,,,

any "GREY AREA" will instantly be clarified for you!:shock:,,,,,,,,:lol::tongue:

dougster
07-07-2010, 10:23 PM
so would that mean you cant shoot a bear if its in the vicinity of a kill too? for example, i drop my deer, gut it, come back in a few days and in the general area there is a bear? is it ok as long as i dont down it while its eating

Caveman
07-07-2010, 10:29 PM
killing any Bear! over a kill IS considered baiting,,,
do it, admit it, call the CO and report what you did,,,,

any "GREY AREA" will instantly be clarified for you!:shock:,,,,,,,,:lol::tongue:

The CO doesn't write the rules only interprets them to what he thinks they say. All I'm saying is it doesn't seem to be black and white. Kind of like the Spike/Fork ruling........mature bull with one spike on one side because of disease or injury. Not the intent of the rule according to the biologist who proposed the rule as proven via e-mail in another thread, but legal. It is a loop hole or grey area. Makes for a good debate!

I'm not a lawyer but if you stumbled across a bear eating a carcass, there was no intend to bait, just circumstance. You come through a farmers property to hunt that you have permission, knowing he has an apple orchard, As you pass through you spot a bear standing on his hind legs eating apples.............Baiting?? No! Circumstance!

Ambush
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Your friend didn't get a lawyer did he? That one is easily defensible.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2010, 10:43 PM
It's illegal without a doubt. Directly from the CO Service.

Doug, never EVER take the advice of anyone that EVER suggests "you can beat it in court." If there is ANY question at all, don't do it 'cause your gut is telling you not to. You do not want the wonderful experience of hunting tainted by trying to "beat" something in court.

Caveman
07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
so would that mean you cant shoot a bear if its in the vicinity of a kill too? for example, i drop my deer, gut it, come back in a few days and in the general area there is a bear? is it ok as long as i dont down it while its eating

Ya, just let him finish up and step off, I don't know 25 yds.:confused::mrgreen: I don't know Doug, I've never done it, and I can see a hole in the regs as I read it, because they don't seem to define The Act Of Baiting, just what is considered bait

I see another e-mail to the ministry to clarify in the near future

BimmerBob
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
There was a rather long post on this site earlier where a long time member shot a black bear with a Bow in a "cultivated" field while the bear was eating the "cultivated" grass... There was not talk at the time of that being "baiting" or hunting over "bait".

I have seen sooooo many cases brought forth by CO's that have been thrown out by one technicality or the other that I am not sure I beleive the "good friend of mine shot a moose" one at all.

Seems like one of the various urban legends that frequent the intrawebs...

I am with Ambush on it, easy win for the hunter if it was taken to court.

My feeling is that if you came accross a bear eating almost anything and shot it and went by the advice some are giving here you would be "guilty" of "baiting" which I can not beleive is the intent of the regulation.

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Ya, just let him finish up and step off, I don't know 25 yds.:confused::mrgreen: I don't know Doug, I've never done it, and I can see a hole in the regs as I read it, because they don't seem to define The Act Of Baiting, just what is considered bait

I see another e-mail to the ministry to clarify in the near future

Here ya go:

Division 7 — Hunting Methods
Offence

17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,

RJ
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Bears aren't that hard to find... Don't need to rely on baiting over gut piles

Brian011
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I would say call a CO and get their opinion cause there is definately a big grey area aound the whole subject.

BiG Boar
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
From this years regs:

It is illegal to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully engaged
in hunting or trapping where baiting is
authorised.

Offence

(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or

urbanhermit
07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
i doubt coyotes and ravens would leave a small gut pile long enough to be an effective bait anyways, its a mute point. seems silly to return the next day and over hunt a place .

elkdom
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
as there is WAYYYYYYYYY,, more Bears than there is Bear Hunters,,,
I would have to surmise the bears are generally smarter than the Hunters :wink:, whatever method the hunter chooses to achieve success is his own decision, should experimenting with a "grey area" in Law provide some advantage ???
well I really could care less,,,:neutral:

anyone wishing to challenge "the grey area" before a judge with their attorney??,,, well I could care less about that also,,:rolleyes:

risking 1000's of $ dollars $ for the sake of killing some flea bitten Bear just dont make much sense in my books,,,:?

BiG Boar
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
It would be interesting to see if anyone has gotten charged for shooting over a carcass. Other than something they intentionally placed. Like whats his name did, shooting his horse, and then shooting a bear on the carcass. Or someone actually bringing in bait to be eaten by bears.

urbanhermit
07-07-2010, 11:04 PM
risking 1000's of $ dollars $ for the sake of killing some flea bitten Bear just dont make much sense in my books,,,:?[/quote]

that pretty much sums it up right there..

Caveman
07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
From this years regs:

It is illegal to intentionally feed or attempt to feed
dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
and bear) except when lawfully engaged
in hunting or trapping where baiting is
authorised.

Offence

(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or

and if you didn't place it there??

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2010, 11:06 PM
BB14, guides are liars. It is illegal to shoot any bear on a carcass.

urbanhermit
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
whats the best recipe for a "known" carion eating bear??

Fisher-Dude
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
It would be interesting to see if anyone has gotten charged for shooting over a carcass. Other than something they intentionally placed. Like whats his name did, shooting his horse, and then shooting a bear on the carcass. Or someone actually bringing in bait to be eaten by bears.

Yes they have.

and if you didn't place it there??

Then you meet part 2, "using" it. It's an "or" section, not an "and" section.

Jelvis
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
One thing they forgot to mention or should clarify is blood, what about blood,
smells bad, when rotten, and isn't a part, of flesh a bit gray can't eat it must drink it so another chance to clarify and correct with an e-mail when done.
Blood on the ground?

Caveman
07-07-2010, 11:11 PM

So then by definition if you shoot a bear in a cultivated field you are baiting, since a cultvated crop is defined as bait.

Just for the hell of it, I e-mail the F&G Ministry for a definition of the Act of Baiting as discussed here

elkdom
07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes they have.

your preaching to a "DEAF CONGREGATION",,,:-?

pray for them,:evil:

for THEY know NOT what they do,,,,:-|

BimmerBob
07-07-2010, 11:54 PM

Yes they have.

FD, do you know if the charges were contested? And if so what the court verdict was?

I can understand some CO's maybe trying this one on for size but it does not seem logical that the court would not see "reasonable doubt" as something like this could occur accidentally with a hunter not even realizing there is a kill site in the location. (it could have been from another hunter or natural predation)

Do you know how to search the court records for past cases?

Thanks, Bob

hunter1947
07-08-2010, 02:46 AM
To me this is a grey area ,first off you know that there is a gut bag there.

#2 why would you go back right to the spot where you gutted it ??? ,my thoughts are that you would want to avoid this area because the chances of a bear would be there cleaning up the remains of your gutted deer.

If I was a CO and caught you by this deer gut bag with a bear down you would have to do a lot of explaining to the CO.

Me myself I would just avoid the area where you shot this deer the day before then you have nothing to worry about..

I did ask a CO about this same situation and he said for your safety and the way the courts would see it is to stay away from the kill spot makes sense to me..

Caveman
07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
What if you have a grizzly tag and you come onto him over an elk kill of his own. You have to walk because he's over a carcass? I doubt it. At the end of the day I think there has to be intent on your part to intentially place "Bait" for the purpose of attracting a bear, therefore baiting. If you didn't place it there I can't see an issue.

boxhitch
07-08-2010, 06:01 AM
I think there has to be intent on your part to intentially place "Bait" for the purpose of attracting a bear, therefore baiting.Thats how I see it.

Somewhere along the line, someone probably thought hunting over a carcass was an unfair advantage, so created the rule against it.
Probably not much concern for BBears, but GBears need all the help
Whether the term carcass extends to natural kills, non-manmade, is grey.
Proof of how the carcass came to being could be tough, no one wants an animal poached just as bait.

boxhitch
07-08-2010, 06:06 AM
BB14, guides are liars. It is illegal to shoot any bear on a carcass.Hey ! :evil: :)

Whats your def of a carcass ? any dead animal ? the remains of a hunter-killed animal ?

hunter1947
07-08-2010, 06:15 AM
If I came across a bear on a natural kill and this bear came in at me on a full charge and it got to the point where I had to shoot it I would ,but this is different then going back to where you killed a game animal a day or to ago you know this gut bag or rib cavity ot other parts are there so avoid this area don't go near where you killed this animal a few days ago..

boxhitch
07-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Do you know how to search the court records for past cases?

Check here for the quarterly summary reports
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/compliance/

.330 Dakota
07-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I asked a C.O this question and YES it is Baiting

Caveman
07-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Could you clarify what you asked him, as there are several scenarios being discussed here

Confused
07-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Just to throw another wrinkle into this debate......seems to be okay to hunt over naturally occurring dead fish, spawning salmon and such.

It is gray and that is how government likes it, that allows then to make things up as they go along, and for the rules in this case to be as far reaching as they choose. Most people don't want a ticket or to end up in court, so steer clear of any percieved breach of the regulations.

As has already been stated go try shooting a bear over a carcass and see how it works out for you, you may win in he end.....and you may not. Most would see that the most important thing is to not end up in court in the first place.

BimmerBob
07-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Asking a C.O. about the "legality" of something in some cases is like asking a police officer a question regarding the Firearms Act, you are not assured of accuracy.

Their answer will be to "charge" or "restrict" and then they will be overruled by superiors or the courts.

Enforcers always seem to want to "enforce" and they are not all that good at reading comprehension thus the reason courts overturn a lot of the cases when "charges" are brought before the courts.

I recall a long time ago that there was a lot of activity going on in the way of people killing animals and just leaving them in the bush as "bait" for bears, mostly for grizzlies and my recollection is that this particular regulation was written to stop the practice of wildlife being killed intentionally as bait for bears. Heaven knows my recollection is not infallible by any means so I could be wrong (would not be the first time) BUT somehow the interpretations provided in this thread seem much too restrictive to me.

And... btw, this is a discussion, I am NOT recommending to anyone to go and try something that is discussed on this site, that would be taking unnecessary risk.

Caveman
07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Asking a C.O. about the "legality" of something in some cases is like asking a police officer a question regarding the Firearms Act, you are not assured of accuracy.

Their answer will be to "charge" or "restrict" and then they will be overruled by superiors or the courts.

Enforcers always seem to want to "enforce" and they are not all that good at reading comprehension thus the reason courts overturn a lot of the cases when "charges" are brought before the courts.

I recall a long time ago that there was a lot of activity going on in the way of people killing animals and just leaving them in the bush as "bait" for bears, mostly for grizzlies and my recollection is that this particular regulation was written to stop the practice of wildlife being killed intentionally as bait for bears. Heaven knows my recollection is not infallible by any means so I could be wrong (would not be the first time) BUT somehow the interpretations provided in this thread seem much too restrictive to me.

And... btw, this is a discussion, I am NOT recommending to anyone to go and try something that is discussed on this site, that would be taking unnecessary risk.

I agree 100% I'm not condoning any of this either, I just see an issue with it. As you said the CO is going to take the Shoot first ask questions later approach, or charge you, settle it in court, so at least his *ss is covered

Caveman
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM

This is his interpretation, as he didn't write the law

Tenacious Billy
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Unless you or someone in your hunting party knew that you were shooting the bear off a gut/bait pile, I see little chance of charges sticking. Are hunters now required not only to identify the family structure of the bear in question, but also what exactly it is they're eating right before you pull the trigger??? Bear's got his face buried in a pile of deer guts from another hunter 3 days prior, and you're now expected to I.D. what he's eating??? Seems a bit of a stretch........

Confused
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Unless you or someone in your hunting party knew that you were shooting the bear off a gut/bait pile, I see little chance of charges sticking. Are hunters now required not only to identify the family structure of the bear in question, but also what exactly it is they're eating right before you pull the trigger??? Bear's got his face buried in a pile of deer guts from another hunter 3 days prior, and you're now expected to I.D. what he's eating??? Seems a bit of a stretch........

You are quite correct on this one, it comes down to did you know the "bait" was there. In the few cases that charges have been brought, unless it can be proven that the person knew the bait was there, natural or otherwise, the person(s) has either got off or charges have been dropped. Very few convictions.

BimmerBob
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM

x3 on that one TB, that is where I am leaning on this question as there is just too much "reasonable" doubt unless somebody is stupid and somehow incriminates themselves by yapping. The "thought" police at work again :wink:

07-08-2010, 12:12 PM

This is the grey part.

MichelD
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Guts don't hang around long enough for it to be an issue in my experience.

In between the ravens, eagles, magpies, gray jays, coyotes and bears it gets cleaned up pretty quick.

I shot an elk on the Island right at sunset one time, gutted it and left it until morning. Next day at sunrise there wasn't a bit of guts left. The bear had left the elk alone and dragged the huge paunch and everything away.

sawmill
07-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Sometimes I think we ought to switch to Alberta rules and save a lot of B.S.We have lots of Blackies here,hell the C.O`s shoot as many in town as hunters do in the bush.
Bait`em shoot `em who cares.Just don`t shoot the black phase Spirit Bears.

bridger
07-09-2010, 07:05 AM
the simple answer is that it is illegal to shoot a bear on a gut pile period. the phraac committe has been looking at a new definition of baiting and hopefully we will have something that makes sense soon. the present law is basically unworkable. for example if you are walking down a trail and see a bear and shoot it and find it was on a gut pile that someone else shot and of which you had no knowledge technically that is baiting. probably would not stand up in court, but still illegal. the intent of the law was to prevent the actual placing of baits like they do in saskatchewan and alberta not so much as to shooting off a gut pile. hopefully this will change.

CanuckShooter
07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
the simple answer is that it is illegal to shoot a bear on a gut pile period. the phraac committe has been looking at a new definition of baiting and hopefully we will have something that makes sense soon. the present law is basically unworkable. for example if you are walking down a trail and see a bear and shoot it and find it was on a gut pile that someone else shot and of which you had no knowledge technically that is baiting. probably would not stand up in court, but still illegal. the intent of the law was to prevent the actual placing of baits like they do in saskatchewan and alberta not so much as to shooting off a gut pile. hopefully this will change.

I wouldn't consider that baiting, they would have to prove you had 'placed' the gut pile with the intention of attracting bears.....personally I find the idea of baiting bears [as shown on tv] by filling 45 gallon drums with garbage and rotting meat as distasteful. Hopefully if they do change the regs around baiting this practice is not something that becomes common place in BC.

bridger
07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't see it as baiting either but in the strictest intpretation of the law it is and that is what we are trying to get around. I would be very suprised if bc ever adopts the the alberta system of baiting.

Gateholio
07-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Marc the owner of HBC had this happen to him. He shot a black bear and when he approached it, he found that it was feeding on another dead bear that was partialy buried. Marc talked to a CO about it and was informed it was legal as he had no knowledge of the "bait"

Caveman
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Marc the owner of HBC had this happen to him. He shot a black bear and when he approached it, he found that it was feeding on another dead bear that was partialy buried. Marc talked to a CO about it and was informed it was legal as he had no knowledge of the "bait"

Here ya go:

Offence

(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or

As I have mention earlier........There was no intent to bait

It may have been a carcass, but Marc didn't place it there, was not previously aware of it, even though it meets the criteria of what others have quoted as baiting. Thanks Gate!

Jelvis
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Gate's the main man he knows lots of stuff and when to say it .. thanks house .
Clarification, confidence and correct
Jparsly ..

bridger
07-09-2010, 02:11 PM
not going to argue the point but there is no distinction co may not charge you as it may not stand up in court, but people have been charged under those circumstances and the fact that there is so much confusion on this thread points to the real problem. we have no clear definition of baiting and that needs to be changed.

Jelvis
07-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Gate cleared it up read above post number 62
best answer with example

Fisher-Dude
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
The OP of this thread clearly talked about shooting a bear over the gutpile of his deer. That is without a doubt baiting and would result in charges and a conviction.

peashooter
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
i have amnesia, how could a co prove i knew about this gut pile before i pulled the trigger.

Jelvis
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Eggz act leee

BimmerBob
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Fisher-Dude would tell him :wink::confused:

The only way they would know it was a gut pile from your own kill would be if you were stupid enough to tell them. I hope they chance the wording of the regulation so it is clarified as it would stop all this pointless argument and the goofey charges cluttering up the system. Then they can get on to things that matter as far as game management goes.

What is the likelyhood of this happening? Not likely at all, as earlier posters have indicated gut piles are gone overnight with the small critters having a feast!

Caveman
07-09-2010, 11:04 PM
What I find interesting about all this, is how things are interpreted by individuals who read it. I find that the regulations can be very confusing, especially to the "Newbie". You need to read and understand the entire synopsis, because so many sections have rules that refer to a definition or example in another section. A prime example is the Spike/Fork Bull. The definition of a bull is

Buck or Bull - with reference to deer, moose,
or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers.
Buck or Bull - with reference to caribou, means
a male one year of age or older, bearing visible
bony antlers.

Antlered Animal - means a member of the
deer family over one year of age bearing visible
bony antlers

No definition of what constitutes an antler, just a tine. The main beam, other than in regards to a spike buck, is not limited by length so as it reads if the bull has visible boney antler but could be less than 12 months old is it a bull or a calf?

Calf - means a moose, elk or caribou less than
twelve (12) months of age.

How may of you have seen a button bull/buck

Calf or bull?? Visible boney antler, but likely less than one year old

Moose - Spike-fork Bull - means a bull
moose having no more than two tines on one
antler. (Includes tines on main antler and brow
palms.) Does not include a calf

elkdom
07-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Fisher-Dude would tell him :wink::confused:

The only way they would know it was a gut pile from your own kill would be if you were stupid enough to tell them. I hope they chance the wording of the regulation so it is clarified as it would stop all this pointless argument and the goofey charges cluttering up the system. Then they can get on to things that matter as far as game management goes.

What is the likelyhood of this happening? Not likely at all, as earlier posters have indicated gut piles are gone overnight with the small critters having a feast!
quite easy to end up in this scenario with a summons and NO gun and NO Hunting license!, :?
CO happens to check "dougi's" bear tag/hunting license ! OH my it seems you have a canceled deer tag and a canceled bear tag in the same management unit !! HMMMMM??? where exactly did you kill your deer 2 days ago and your bear today????
there you go dougi-do-little,,,,:-|

now you have to TELL the TRUTH !, because lying to a CO is an OFFENSE under the statutes of the Wildlife Act!:wink:!