PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat Hunters Wanted!

Gateholio
07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Mountain Goat Hunters Wanted

BC Wildlife Branch, and Western Washington University needs your help.

We are conducting a study on the genetic relationships of the mountain goats herds in Southwest BC and Washington State. So we are looking for volunteers to collect not lethal mountain goat DNA. This can be done by collecting goat scat from as many individual mountain goats and locations in SW BC (Region 2 and 8 ) as possible.

You can help by going hiking in goat habitat and searching for fresh mountain goat scat then placing a few fresh mountain goat pellets (2-3 from each pellet group) into a small paper envelopes and labelling the envelopes with the GPS coordinates of the exact location it was collected then storing in a container so the pellets do not get crushed. As soon as possible air dry the pellets in the envelope and send to me for correlation and to prepare for the laboratory to extract the DNA. Please collect relatively fresh pellets only and from as many piles and locations as possible and do not crush the pellets. Scat can be used to obtain genetic material because cells are scraped from the lining of intestine as the fecal pellet passes through the gut. When the animal defecates these intestinal cells are suspended in a layer of mucous on the outside of the pellet. Exposure to UV radiation (direct sunlight) for an extended period of time may degrade these cells. Rain may also wash the intestinal cells from the surface of the pellet . Crushing the pellet can release digestive enzymes that can break down these cells. Sample the freshest pellets available and make records on the envelope about freshness.

If you would like to assist with this project please contact me ASAP so that I can: answer any questions you may have, supply you with sample kits (coin envelops and containers) and to discuss the location where you intend to collect samples. You are free to participate in this project whenever and wherever you want this summer and fall. However, we do not need samples from Mt. Meager as we collected sufficient sample from this location last summer during a similar study. If you do not know where to find mountain goats I could provide suggestions.

This is a great project for hunters and non-hunters to share in the collection of scientific samples while hunting, scouting an area, or hiking..

Thank you for your time, consideration and any assistance you can provide.

Darryl Reynolds, R.P.Bio
Wildlife Biologist
Ministry of Environment, South Coast Sub Region
Office Location: 6451 Sechelt Inlet Road.
Mailing Address: Box 950 Sechelt, BC, VON 3A0
Phone: (604)885-7419, Fax (604)885-2445
Email: Darryl.Reynolds@gov.bc.ca

Amphibious
07-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Sounds like fun. :D

BearSniper
07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Interesting study.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to help. It would appear that the south peaks of the Chilliwack river valley would be a good scouting point. Also the south peaks of Manning park.

BlacktailStalker
07-07-2010, 08:48 AM
$10 per turd sounds fair.
Could have helped with region 4 later this year...

Gateholio
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Last summer I was one of the participants in an extensive goat study near Meager Creek. We had a great time, although our area was pretty devoid of recent goat sign.:-D

MichelD
07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
When my daughter was in Cap college studying textile design we went up to Blowdown and Gott Ridge and climbed the ridges looking for tufts of goat hair.

Didn't find any, but could have harvested bags of pellets.

ishootbambi
07-07-2010, 09:13 PM
that sounds like a crappy adventure! :wink:

hopsing
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Mountain Goat Hunters Wanted

BC Wildlife Branch, and Western Washington University needs your help.

We are conducting a study on the genetic relationships of the mountain goats herds in Southwest BC and Washington State. So we are looking for volunteers to collect not lethal mountain goat DNA. This can be done by collecting goat scat from as many individual mountain goats and locations in SW BC (Region 2 and 8 ) as possible.

You can help by going hiking in goat habitat and searching for fresh mountain goat scat then placing a few fresh mountain goat pellets (2-3 from each pellet group) into a small paper envelopes and labelling the envelopes with the GPS coordinates of the exact location it was collected then storing in a container so the pellets do not get crushed. As soon as possible air dry the pellets in the envelope and send to me for correlation and to prepare for the laboratory to extract the DNA. Please collect relatively fresh pellets only and from as many piles and locations as possible and do not crush the pellets. Scat can be used to obtain genetic material because cells are scraped from the lining of intestine as the fecal pellet passes through the gut. When the animal defecates these intestinal cells are suspended in a layer of mucous on the outside of the pellet. Exposure to UV radiation (direct sunlight) for an extended period of time may degrade these cells. Rain may also wash the intestinal cells from the surface of the pellet . Crushing the pellet can release digestive enzymes that can break down these cells. Sample the freshest pellets available and make records on the envelope about freshness.

If you would like to assist with this project please contact me ASAP so that I can: answer any questions you may have, supply you with sample kits (coin envelops and containers) and to discuss the location where you intend to collect samples. You are free to participate in this project whenever and wherever you want this summer and fall. However, we do not need samples from Mt. Meager as we collected sufficient sample from this location last summer during a similar study. If you do not know where to find mountain goats I could provide suggestions.

This is a great project for hunters and non-hunters to share in the collection of scientific samples while hunting, scouting an area, or hiking..

Thank you for your time, consideration and any assistance you can provide.

Darryl Reynolds, R.P.Bio
Wildlife Biologist
Ministry of Environment, South Coast Sub Region
Office Location: 6451 Sechelt Inlet Road.
Mailing Address: Box 950 Sechelt, BC, VON 3A0
Phone: (604)885-7419, Fax (604)885-2445
Email: Darryl.Reynolds@gov.bc.ca

It sounds like a ton of fun.

Just worried on how to sample them. :mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun to do this as a team and learn about goats and be with some knowledgeable people.

07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
To bad not Reg 3 Gate, I'm in your neighborhood with an LEH.

I hope a billy can put himself where I can get em this year rather then just pics again.

Baaaa Baaa

CT

Would loved to have helped.

Elkhound
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Wait til I see Daryl. I am going to tease him about this one

ufishifish2
07-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I remember in the good old days when I used to get paid to collect samples for studies like this. The last one was collecting deer scat samples on the Kelowna Mtn Park Fire. Yup, our wonderful government actually paid me to count and collect shit.
Ah, those were the days my friend! Hell, nowadays they don't even pay people to do the jobs that actually need being done!