PDA

View Full Version : Overheating a barrel

Island Mile
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I have been hunting a couple years and try to spend as much time at the range as possible. i have a Tikka 270. I've heard you can over heat a barrel I have only shot 5 to 10 rounds each time I head out. I have a good stock pad and could shoot this gun all day. How long should I wait between shots ? How many rounds should I put through the barrel per range trip ?

Drillbit
07-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Should be able to hold it with bare hands.

I have shot guns so the barrel is so hot the image in the scope is very blurry, and they still shoot just fine (50 rounds straight). Throat erosion can happen if you do that too much also.

Usually at the range I take a few guns to give them all some cool time. I usually only shoot four or five out of a big rifle at a time. Hunting is different though, so I shoot till I'm out of targets, can't see through the scope, or nothing is moving. (this is varmint hunting)

Surrey Boy
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Usually at the range I take a few guns to give them all some cool time. I usually only shoot four or five out of a big rifle at a time. Hunting is different though, so I shoot till I'm out of targets, can't see through the scope, or nothing is moving. (this is varmint hunting)

I want to make a few tasteless jokes, but I don't want to get banned.

Legi0n
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Overheating the barrel increases wear.
Shoot 4 or 5 rounds, then let it cool (until it's warm to the touch at most).
Practice a 22 in between.

Schutzen
07-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I have seen posts from fellas that regularly hunt Pdogs.
They often shot a ton and quite rapidly. They say the bbl erosion is not that bad.
I'm thinkin tho that they are using small bores and small capacity stuff.
For sure when u get into the big magnums and over bore stuff especially its a problem. My brother shot the throat out of his 264 Win mag in about 500 rds coulda been a bit more.
He tended to just shoot away when he practiced or sighted in but other than that nothing special.
It was a Douglas custom bbl and a few fellas over the years have told me when they got to be a big name the quality of their bbls went south.
Could be that he had one of them I guess.

Schutzen
07-10-2010, 12:34 AM
I try to leave myself a lot of time if its hot I wait 5 mins tween shots.
If its cool 2 mins.
Always leave ur bolt or action wide open tween the shots to.
When u load a shell try and get the shot off within 20 secs. so if the chambers a bit hot it won't effect the pressures too much.
So be ready drop the shell in close the bolt and by count of 10-20 the bullet should be traveling downrange.
I often switch off to other rifles usually or a .22 to help fill the time.

boxhitch
07-10-2010, 08:16 AM
When u load a shell try and get the shot off within 20 secs. so if the chambers a bit hot it won't effect the pressures too much.Good point. often overlooked. Especially when working near max loads.
If you want consistent chrony readings then the timing should be consistent also

Island Mile
07-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys good info.