PDA

View Full Version : This years Migratory Bird regs are out!

Ian F.
07-06-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.ec.gc.ca/rcom-mbhr/default.asp?lang=en&n=82220F4B-1

Going to need a little clarification here...

Looks like Specs are open now!

The clarification is on 5 canada's in addition to other species of geese, do cacklers and specs count as others? I can see cacklers being lumped with Canada's, but the specs?

All in all quite basically the same as last year..

Very best,

Ian

f350ps
07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Cacklers are lumped in with Canadas and no open season on Specs. K

Crazy_Farmer
07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Yep no season for them..............yet........ :wink:

I was asked about wanting a season and I said a resounding YES! Probably wont come about but dare to dream arnold dare to dream.

Ian F.
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Is that ever confusing!

(l) A total of not more than 5 Canada, Cackling or White–fronted Geese, or any combination of them, may be taken daily, except in MUs) 2–2 to 2–4, 2–8, 2–18 and 2–19 where 5 Canada Geese may be taken in addition to any other species of geese taken in Region 2.

This is the rules for limits, which as I read them says yes for specs, and in stating cackling separate from Canada implies they are considered a separate species which they are....

Then going over the seasons, which I missed early, it is clear that we have no openings for specs, but the question of cackling and the plus 5 is not clearly defined from what I read. Not that it's an issue for me, but I think a call to the feds is in order

Ian

Ian F.
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Provincials now too...

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Pheasants open thanksgiving sunday, ducks saturday..

heyblast
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Canadas and Cackling Geese are seperate spiecies so it's 5 Canadas or 5 Cackling or combined for a total of 5. The additional 5 Canadas that are allowed I assume are in addition to a limit of 5 Canadas or other geese. Who knows the answer.

Crazy_Farmer
07-09-2010, 05:49 AM
I believe it has to do with the regions, 2.2-4, 2.8, 2.18-19 all areas are close to 2-4 and 2-5 where you can shoot 10 snows IN addition to 5 canada/or cackling. So a person from out in the valley could shoot their 5 canadas in the morning and then go out for a night flight shoot for snows in 2-4. Or during the March 1-10th they could legally shoot 5 canadas, 10 snows and 2 brant.

mattchu_19
07-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Now, If you weren't big into waterfowling and read the regs and saw cackler, and didn't know what a cackler was, is there any where in our regs that has a discription of what a cackler is? I going to say that there are a lot of guys just starting out that dont know the difference between cackling geese and a cackler.

Ian F.
07-09-2010, 10:00 AM
This really illustrates a much bigger problem... Lets face it most of the people on this board are waterfowl geeks that are way beyond the everyday hunter. And if the geeks can't easily understand the regs then what is the average joe blow to do? and what about our enforcement community that knows big game well and ......

Ian

heyblast
07-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Cackling geese were classed a seperate spiecies about 4 or 5 years ago. Cackler and Cackling would be the same I would assume, Cackler being a slang if you would. The same as a Bufflehead being called a Butterball, which I've heard used back east but not here on the west coast. As for 5 additional Canadas, I interpret as in addtion to a legal 5 limit bag of geese, single or mixed spiecies. But I don't know for sure and I'm going into my 40th. season. So for new hunters no doudt it is really frustrating.There has to be someone on HBC that knows.

blindman
07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
We are " Geeks" and not "Gwacks?" Thanks for the post Ian and if you think that the BC regs are bad, take a look at the Washington State fishing pamphlet.

aliagha
08-08-2010, 12:48 PM
does any one know if the new 2010 - 2011 fraser valley special area maps are out, any one got a link???