PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Ribs

rollingrock
07-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I love ribs and chops and bones. Not very many times I've left with meat only after I shot a game. BBQ sheep/lamb ribs are my favorite too. But it's impossible of course to bring out a whole sheep after you shoot it somewhere up high in the mountain, unless you shoot it right on a logging road. I don't know if anyone here has tried bring out a whole sheep or goat?

Rodd
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm a lover of the Ribs myself.... My Father taught me on our 4 successful Ram hunts, that you don't carry them out, you eat them at base camp. We always had a jug of BBQ sauce with us, and we hung our ribs(2 racks) by some wire, then built a little rock wall behind them, and slowly roasted them for the afternoon while caping and fleshing your Trophy. They are sure a treat after eating soup for a while... And what you don't eat makes for great lunch snacks on the trail..... Yummy!

07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm a lover of the Ribs myself.... My Father taught me on our 4 successful Ram hunts, that you don't carry them out, you eat them at base camp. We always had a jug of BBQ sauce with us, and we hung our ribs(2 racks) by some wire, then built a little rock wall behind them, and slowly roasted them for the afternoon while caping and fleshing your Trophy. They are sure a treat after eating soup for a while... And what you don't eat makes for great lunch snacks on the trail..... Yummy!

Dont hunt sheep.... but damn im gonna do that wth a deer this year!
that is a great idea. I just shoot them and hang them. the ribs just turn into stew meat. But i think now they will make better camp meat!

boxhitch
07-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Rodd, do you flip yours or cook them through from one side only ?

Thats the best recipe for sheep ribs there is. Spices can vary but they should be done when fresh as possible. In my taste, the fat from sheep and goat gets bad quick. A little packet of the dry special sheep spice is easier to pack than the sauce. Add just the right amount of smoke and charcoal.

shantz
07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Sheep ribs are one on my favorites. Salt, pepper and a little oil olive over a campfire. Grandpa taught me that one.

bridger
07-06-2010, 10:58 AM
ribs over a willow fire one of the great rewards of a sucessful sheep hunt

ytlogger
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I love ribs and chops and bones. Not very many times I've left with meat only after I shot a game. BBQ sheep/lamb ribs are my favorite too. But it's impossible of course to bring out a whole sheep after you shoot it somewhere up high in the mountain, unless you shoot it right on a logging road. I don't know if anyone here has tried bring out a whole sheep or goat?

One hunt my partner and I took a ram and decided to split him and take him out in two pieces and cape and butcher him in camp. We gutted him, split him around the second to third rib, tied the pieces to the packboard with the hair on and packed out to our boat, pretty near 4 hours. I took the front end 'cause I'm stupider. It was awful. Never did it again. Nice big cape though. Rib meat for stew sounds sacreligous. I pack 'em out, but as I said, I'm stupider.

BimmerBob
07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Pics would really help this thread guys... anybody have some pics of their field rib cooking setups. I want to try this at the next opportunity, those ribs always looked too good to just cut the meat for stew but I am not really into packing bones either...

How about it? Some pics please!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I've seen pics of a 36" and a 45" Stone together WHOLE in the back of a pickup......but I don't think that's the norm when it comes to sheep hunting:wink:.

SSS

bighornbob
07-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I have seen a B&C rocky (minus the guts) posed for pictures in a backyard once. Not the norm but I am still trying:-D

BHB

behemoth
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Does this work for Goat, too? I've heard the ribs can be pretty chewy

Hotshoe
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
To this day the best meal I have ever eaten was after a 10 day backpack hunt for Dall's in the NWT, we walked 18mi the day after the kill, made it to a cabin, found a few potatoes and lard. Slow roasted the ribs over a fire while we deep fried home made french fries...MMMMM....what a treat!

Farmer
07-06-2010, 02:14 PM
One hunt my partner and I took a ram and decided to split him and take him out in two pieces and cape and butcher him in camp. We gutted him, split him around the second to third rib, tied the pieces to the packboard with the hair on and packed out to our boat, pretty near 4 hours. I took the front end 'cause I'm stupider. It was awful. Never did it again. Nice big cape though. Rib meat for stew sounds sacreligous. I pack 'em out, but as I said, I'm stupider.

I don't consider it stupid. I just hate to waste part on an animal I have harvested. I don't believe we have ever left the ribs in the bush. From sheep to goat, deer elk, and even a cow moose, the ribs have all been packed out. It has taken a lot of sweat but our meat has always (so far) come out in quarters or havles, or in 6 or 7 pieces in the case of a big bull elk a few miles back. We like bbqed ribs and they are just not the same without bones. In camp we will normally eat the heart and liver instead.
ytlogger - I always try to let my brother pack the the fronts - the benefits of him being older:-D. He only complains when I try to help him up while I am standing on his hand.

Kudu
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
If we bring an animal out whole - we gut it, skin it, and hang it - before dispatching it like this.......

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/sheepspitbraaivancouver09.jpg

If we quarter it and pack it out - the ribs come home and get done like this on the BBQ

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/ribsonthebraai.jpg

Sometimes we do some of the ribs on the BBQ with a rub, and some with chicken / grouse in the pot..

mostly we just do the ribs like this - in camp....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/braai01.jpg

Jehiah
07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I dont have any pics and Ive never been sheep hunting. What I HAVE done is venison ribs and damn were they tastey!
I boil my ribs first (tenderizes the meat and cooks it through) then finish it on the bbq with the finest sauce I can make. Cook it hot and fast and with open flames.

07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
ribs over a willow fire one of the great rewards of a sucessful sheep hunt

Are you sure you mean willow? Maybe your using alder..willow smoke is very acrid.

TUG
07-06-2010, 03:47 PM
I dont know about ribs buttttt fresh sheep backstap fried in bacon grease with mushroom gravey crisp pan fried potatoes pork and beans washed down with chevas ahhhhh now that brings back mems

tug

BimmerBob
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Love the pics, this thread is making me hungry!

budismyhorse
07-06-2010, 09:50 PM
From an old Eastmans video, a good tip is to roast the ribs bone-side down.....that way the bones heat up the meat from the inside out.....then flip em over and crisp up the other side when cooked through.

Ive done it with everything from sheep to goats to whiteys.....but nothing beats sheep ribs!!

clipped this pic after we finished up....for a memory.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/145_2_resize.JPG

ytlogger
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I was thinking about that Eastman film the other day. I used to have it on video but it got trashed. I can't remember the name, but they were hunting the Mackenzie Mtns. in NWT. Didn't the old fella have something roasting on a rope as well. Just winding it up and letting it spin by the fire?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I must say I've never eaten anything better. Only problem was our stomachs had shrunk more than we would have liked.:(

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Greg_s_2010_Stone_037_2_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20140)

SSS

sako_300
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I wish we had camped somewhere that a guy could get a fire goin' those look pretty damn good.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I wish we had camped somewhere that a guy could get a fire goin' those look pretty damn good.

We wanted to eat some the first night but couldn't find any firewood. Ended up eating them on the pack out the next day.

Grease from ear-to-ear!!:mrgreen:

SSS

BCbillies
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
We wanted to eat some the first night but couldn't find any firewood. Ended up eating them on the pack out the next day.

SSS

Looks delicious!!! Is this a fresh photo from 2010? Three full weeks have passed . . . I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for some recent Stones sheep photo safaris. My partners should show up within a day or so . . . sheep or no sheep we wants some tales! :confused:

bighornbob
08-19-2010, 02:07 PM

SSS

Wasn't there a campfire ban???????????:-D

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2010, 02:38 PM

BHB

It had rained so hard I had to use the Raptor to get a fire going. Having said that I'm not going to answer BCBillies' question.:wink:

SSS

BCbillies
08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Before the campfire ban is removed we need to remove the HBC ban on 2010 Stones stories! :( I was starting to think the smoke was causing havoc with the field photos but what the hey . . .

BCrams
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Scrumptious sheep ribs. SSS was the chef extraordinaire while I was busy caping the head and turning eyes, ears, nose, lips.

luckynuts
08-19-2010, 08:14 PM
*******s:-D:-D:-D How long have you been home?? you only get one day of rest until you have to post story with Pictures!!!!!!!! Unless of course it's B&C material:wink: BTW huge congrats to ya both. I'll be waiting here patiently

W.

Can't believe I got edited for saying b ast ar ds

Scrumptious sheep ribs. SSS was the chef extraordinaire while I was busy caping the head and turning eyes, ears, nose, lips.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
*******s:-D:-D:-D How long have you been home?? you only get one day of rest until you have to post story with Pictures!!!!!!!! Unless of course it's B&C material:wink: BTW huge congrats to ya both. I'll be waiting here patiently

W.

Can't believe I got edited for saying b ast ar ds

Rams has been busy scouting for his next victim!:wink: Patience.

SSS

huntergal
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Too early to say "congrats" then?! We're waiting...........

rollingrock
08-19-2010, 10:06 PM
wow! I'm glad that I had my supper tonight!

Stone Sheep Steve
08-20-2010, 07:39 AM

BHB

Here's the latest.
http://www.bcforestfireinfo.gov.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Campfire-Ban-Map_July-29-2010.pdf
Not sure when they removed the province-wide campfie ban (we were in the mtns) but we saw a GO having a fire so we assumed they had some updated info.
We had several heavy all night rains so conditions were very, very soggy.

SSS