PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate in Hunting Boot

pse&remington
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
After many years using my old hiking boots, I think its time I threw dwn & spent the Dollars.
I have never had Thinsulate in my boots before and am unsure how much I will want. I dont want so much my feet are sweating and....
If you are able to give me possible experience on how much thinsulate one needs, and as well what boots you prefer.
Thanks all

ianwuzhere
07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
neoprene gum boots r my fav..
lacross is the make

BiG Boar
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Interested also in the same thing. I have colder feet especially in a cold morning. Want something a tad warmer.

steelheadSABO
07-06-2010, 12:00 AM
north face snowcats seem to work good for me warm on hot days tho

Tanya
07-06-2010, 05:50 AM
It would depend on where you do most of your hunting, and is there much walking involved or more static hunting. I have thinsulate, but a minimal amount in my boots that I wear most often, it is never a problem in the heat or if I'm moving. For more static hunts or extreme cold I have other boots. If you live and hunt on the westcoast gum boots insulated or not are the best for hunting other than rough terrain. As to brand, get what feels comfortable on YOUR foot. What is best for one, may not be for another.

swampthing
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I use 400gram thinsulate. I find no problem with this in aug to dec. Wrap a pair of Kenetrek mountain extreems around that thinsulate and you will be set.

Brew
07-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I also have always had 400 gram thinsulate boots. I find that they are great throughout the season. I'm going to throw down some cash this year and buy some higher end boots.

Sunzuki
07-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I broke down a few years back and bought a pair of Irish Setters in the Tamarack model. They are the best boots I have owned. Bought them from the Red Wings store at the lower mainland. WSS sells them for about an orange one cheaper than I paid. Don't regret spending the $$$ for them. I just use them for hunting only and they stay in the truck till I get to where I will be hunting and put them on once I park the truck.
These are going on seven years old now and still do not leak. I mean I can stand in water up to near the top of the boot and no leaks. If I don't spill over, my feet stay dry. This material seems to wisk away the sweat. Socks stay dry and eye have happy feet. Don't care if it's hot or cold out. I have a standby pair of Brownings that are also great but the soles suck. No traction. I can't find the box for the Tamaracks but the tongue tag says 800g's. I would buy these boots again. Great product.
Hope this helps.

3006pg
07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
irish setters

cmfic1
07-11-2010, 06:07 AM
You never mentioned what type of terrain or hunting you will be doing.

For yrs I used Danners, I like them then.
Then I used Mendl, 3 pairs 2 of them were junk, wore out quick and leaked.

Now I use Kenetrek mnt extremes (400gr) & will likely never buy anything else as long as they make them.

For later/cooler hunts I use a pair of Shnees packs, and would buy them again when I wear these out.

IMO Irish Setters are good whitetail type boots, and not too serious of a boot in harsher terrain.

Benthos
07-11-2010, 09:40 AM
i have the irish setter tamarack boots. for the first 2 years, they were the cats ass. after that, they started to fall apart at some of the seams. i've had to goop them up to prevent them from leaking.

for the first 2 years, they were awesome. however, for the money i spent on them, i think they should of lasted longer. i still use them late in the season when things are cold for deer as they are great in the snow and freezing temps, but try to avoid walking in water while moose hunting (the first two years they were completely waterproof. i shot one moose that fell in a river, stood in the river for well over an hour with no leaks).

so, i have mixed reviews on irish setter.