PDA

View Full Version : Quick, before my wife changes her mind...

Padron
07-05-2010, 12:04 PM
So after two years away from the woods (having children is so inconvenient), I officially have permission from the missus to disappear for a few days this fall. I am planning a bow hunt for the first week in September, but really have no plans beyond that. I have hunted very little in BC (mostly Texas, Illinois and Alberta), so I admit I am a bit intimidated with figuring out where to start. Unfortunately, my social circle doesn't include as many hunters as it used to.

I am hoping you guys (or gals) may be able to help direct my planning a bit.

So here's what I'm looking for...
Bow hunt 1st week of September
Hunt for deer (doesn't matter the type)
Don't need a trophy, just to see game
Within 5 hour drive of Vancouver
Accessible by 2WD truck
Decent tent camping
Don't mind a hike
Fly fishing an added bonusThank you to anyone willing to share some advice.

GS

swampdonkey
07-05-2010, 12:05 PM
check out the princeton area

BigBanger
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice first post. Good luck.

300wsm
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
gsaruk i would be happy to give you my humble opinion but first, unofficial site rules require new members to post a hunting joke.

Are you tenting? are you quadding?

welcome to HBC and you picked the right place to hunt.

Dew99

Padron
07-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Hunting joke, huh? Let's see.

After years of unsuccessfully trying to fill their moose tags, two brothers came up with what they thought was a full-proof plan. They carefully designed and sewed what they considered a very sexy cow moose costume, and practiced their cow calls for what seemed like hours. The plan was to hide in the costume, seduce a bull moose to come in close, then pop out guns-a-blazing.

Finally, the time came to put their plan into action. They sauntered (as only two men in a cow moose costume can) out into a clearing, and began calling in their sexiest cow moose voices. Sure enough, before long a huge bull moose came crashing out of the trees looking very... well, aroused.

As the bull got closer, the brother in front shouted "now!".

But there was a problem.

"The zippers stuck! What do we do?" shouted the brother in the back in a rather panicked voice.

After a pause, the brother up front says, "Well, I'm going to start nibbling grass, but you'd better brace yourself."

GS

kayjayess
07-05-2010, 12:45 PM
NICE! Welcome to hbc

Padron
07-05-2010, 12:47 PM
gsaruk i would be happy to give you my humble opinion but first, unofficial site rules require new members to post a hunting joke.

Are you tenting? are you quadding?

welcome to HBC and you picked the right place to hunt.

Dew99

We'll be tenting. No quads I'm afraid.

rollingrock
07-05-2010, 12:47 PM
If you're going for bow hunting, you don't even have to drive that far. And...welcome aboard!

300wsm
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
ok oldie but definately a goodie.

sending a pm

Padron
07-05-2010, 12:53 PM
If you're going for bow hunting, you don't even have to drive that far. And...welcome aboard!

Heck, I am more than willing not drive 5 hours. I would much rather spend my time sitting on cold, wet ground in the middle of the woods, than on the warm, soft seat of a pick-up.

Any suggestions for closer areas?

rollingrock
07-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Pls check your PM.

BigBanger
07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Do you have a back roads map book for bc yet? If not get some. There are lots of deer a few hours drive from where you live.

hunter1947
07-06-2010, 03:07 AM
The Princeton area would be a good place to hunt for elk ,mule deer ,WT deer ,bear 8-4 and 8-5.

I would head up to hunt Oct 10 If you are figuring on a weeks hunt ,if you are going up for two weeks then leave on the 5th of Oct.

8-4 or 8-5 there is a no point restrictions for mule deer or whitetail deer at this time frame.

Elk are open but has to have 6 points on one side ,bear are open as well so you got a chance at 4 species of animals to hunt ,good luck and welcome to the site.

buckwild76
07-06-2010, 04:24 PM
me and 4 others are going to the princeton area on sep. 24 for 5 days, it is probably a 3 hour drive from vancouver, beautiful country and there are some pretty good tenting areas there, as well as a variety of game. At that time though you may only harvest a 4 point or greater for mule deer and 6 point bull elk as well as bear. I did see a monster blackie up there yesterday when i was hiking. Welcome to bc and good luck!!