PDA

View Full Version : Tuning

Evolution
07-05-2010, 06:52 AM
At 25 yards my bow is almost perfect, at 35 I can make it almost perfect if I am about 1-11/2" to the left and on my third pin -45y I am easily 6-8" to the right. Elevation is perfect. It doesnt seem to matter what I do I cant get it hitting straight on all 3 pins. I have tried moving my biscuit and sight.

Originally when I bought my bow I was using 85g tips and basically out of the box I was having none of this problem. The only thing I have really changed other than maybe 2000 shots through the bow is I have stepped up to 115g. Ive shot paper and it appears good. Is it normal to have to compensate so much for accuracy between the 25 and 45 pins. The way it is I could probably make a 6" group with it, which I know is still amazing compared to my recurve and I also know I wouldnt likely take a 45y shot in the field anyways, but is there any suggestions on this problem? Do I just need to keep fine tuning? On a 70lb bow after about 20 shots my accuracy goes for a shit so I have limited amount of testing time per day. Basically I only have 55 days to fix this issue. Could it be wear? Is it my weight change or do you think its just me. Any help is appreciated.

Slinky Pickle
07-05-2010, 07:07 AM
The bubble level on my R.T.S. PSE was way off when I got it. When the bubble read level, the bow was leaned over quite a bit. I held the bow vertical and then adjusted the level to suit. It's been much better since then. Not sure it this is your issue but it couldn't hurt to check.

Bow Walker
07-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Your center-shot could be off a wee bit. Not noticeable at shorter yardages, but definitely there when extending your shooting. The further away the more noticeable.

Re-tune your center shot by eye and then do the walk-back tuning. Make the necessary adjustments in very small increments. It won't take much of a change to make a big difference to your P.O.I.

Also, did you re-sight when you went up to the heavier grain tips? The change from 85's to 115's won't affect your windage so much as your elevation, but you should have needed to gang adjust your sight, at least.

It's also very important to periodically check all the 'nuts and bolts' on your bow and accessories. They will loosen up over time. There is a lot of vibration going on when you shoot - even if you can't feel much of it. Your arrow rest could've moved on you a bit.

hardnocks
07-05-2010, 07:34 AM
google walk back tuning theirs step by step instuctions on how to do that.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
your eyes are getting older ... I am willing to bet all 3 pins are differant colors ... you see those colors slightly diferant and hold your bow accordingly ... thats just one possibility

I would suspect tho that when you put 30 more grains on the front of your arrow you didnt upgrade the shafts .. thus throwing your spine out

mntbowhunter
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I would think that a consistent six inch to the right group is not an eye problem? Sorry BZM that seems kind of out there. As Bow walker has stated it should be your center shot. If it is a spine problem and you dont want to buy new arrows try adjusting your poundage.

jessbennett
07-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I would think that a consistent six inch to the right group is not an eye problem? Sorry BZM that seems kind of out there. As Bow walker has stated it should be your center shot. If it is a spine problem and you dont want to buy new arrows try adjusting your poundage.

the eye problem that mikey has stated is a valid point and does happen. it has happened with me. and my target pin. had to change colors.
it would in fact be consistant because the shooter is using the color of pin everytime at said distance. an eye will react differently to certain color and can cause a difference in perception and poi. ive seen it.

centershot could also be the issue, but, as the shooter has stated all was well till he changed the tip. that leads me to believe that the spine has affected the poi. go back to the 85 grain and see if all is well again. simple test to do and will give you your answer.

willyqbc
07-05-2010, 01:03 PM
most likely culprit in my opinion is that you are canting (tipping) the bow to the right. What happens when you do this is #1 arrows will tend to go in the direction of the lean, and #2 when you lean the bow to the right and sight in with your 25 yard pin....it will be fine but as you move down the sight box those pins will be increasingly farther to the left causing you to move the bow right to get them on target...thus causing hits to the right

Bowzone_Mikey
07-05-2010, 01:41 PM
in his first post he stated that his 35 yrd pin to the left and his 45 pin was to the right ...

Not a center shot issue typically ...
either pin color /eye prolem
or poor spine cause the arrows to effectivly Barrel roll ...

if they were dead on with 85 grain points and now doing ths with 115 grain points ... I will lean toward the spine issue first .... the original poster didnt say if he upgraded his arrows at the time of adding weight

Bowzone_Mikey
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
never mind .. I read i re-read it 8 times .... all are hitting right ???? ... but you are are dead nuts on with 85 grain points ....

Bowzone_Mikey
07-05-2010, 02:05 PM
the eye problem that mikey has stated is a valid point and does happen. it has happened with me. and my target pin. had to change colors.
it would in fact be consistant because the shooter is using the color of pin everytime at said distance. an eye will react differently to certain color and can cause a difference in perception and poi. ive seen it.

centershot could also be the issue, but, as the shooter has stated all was well till he changed the tip. that leads me to believe that the spine has affected the poi. go back to the 85 grain and see if all is well again. simple test to do and will give you your answer.

As has happend to me and many ... many other people I know including a few guys on the national team. Mostly Glasses wearers have this issue as well ... A friend of mine that shoots internationally that wears glasses actually worked with his optomertrist to offset the center of his prescription so that he wont see so much distort that would happen if his lenses were centered ... I took his advice and my shooting improved as a result ....
Now my biggest problem is getting string time and getting my internal rangefinder to work on the 3D course

Evolution
07-07-2010, 12:10 PM
You might be on to something here Mikey, I did recently get new glasses to correct my astigmatism. I have noticed certain things appear or align differently with my glasses on as opposed to them being off. My sight pins are all orange. My bow may be canting , I cant say for sure but I try very hard hold my form consistant. I did change arrows and I believe I am close to the correct spine. Im just going to keep practising I got some practise G-5's at 100g so Im going to try tuning to them this week.

Anyone try that Sabo Holographic Bow Sight ?

As has happend to me and many ... many other people I know including a few guys on the national team. Mostly Glasses wearers have this issue as well ... A friend of mine that shoots internationally that wears glasses actually worked with his optomertrist to offset the center of his prescription so that he wont see so much distort that would happen if his lenses were centered ... I took his advice and my shooting improved as a result ....
Now my biggest problem is getting string time and getting my internal rangefinder to work on the 3D course

afflicted 1
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
put a piece of electrical tape down center of target shoot for top of it at 30 yards with twenty pin adjust your level until they hit tape then keep moving back to make sure, could also be spine.

Bow Walker
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM
I wear glasses because of astigmatism as well. You're right about things appearing to be slanted, tilted, or just plane angled away from you while appearing to be level. I found that I've got to keep them on all the time. Pretty soon you get used to it and can't see well unless you're wearing them.

I also had a thought that you might be shooting with both eyes open sometimes and focusing on the target with the wrong eye. That'll sure change your P.O.I. in a hurry.