PDA

View Full Version : baiting deer

buckwild76
07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Do any of you HBCers bait deer, and what are your thoughts on the subject. I overheard a conversation in the local co-op yesterday which started cuz a customer wanted to know what kind of grain he could buy that would work as deer bait and it turned into a pretty heated one. Just wondering what some of your opinions are on the idea.

Gateholio
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
When doing a deer study around Pemberton, hay, oats and molasses and apples were used to good effect.

It's 100% legal in BC, although I don't really know anyone that does it except for trail camera pics.

Ron.C
07-04-2010, 10:07 PM
As long as it's legal, which baiting deer is, who cares. Why get sucked into an argument over a legal method of hunting?

The next thing you know, this will lead to rifle hunters will be arguing with bowhunters, and some traditional bowhunters will be after crossbowhunters. Oh wait, that's already happening :wink:

If it's legal, to each his own.

BiG Boar
07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I think you would have to be consistently putting down bait. If I had property I would definitley consider a feeder for a smaller piece of property. I mean why not!

buckwild76
07-04-2010, 10:13 PM
both parties involved in the argument made valid points, i just happened to hear the whole thing because i was next in line at the till.

Steeleco
07-04-2010, 10:18 PM
It's huge business south of the line. Mostly geared towards antler growth.
Many of the US hunting shows are inundated with commercials for those types of items. Biologic is one product I recall seeing.

mark
07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I tried it one year, lots of work!!!! Arrowed a small whitey buck for my efforts! Apples, oats, and salt!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/best_whitey.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=5898&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
&

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/2x3_4_point.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=3455&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

dukester
07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Baiting deer with oats is very effective to shooting a huge buck. It is done exclusively by outtfitters and hunters in Sask. oats and a trail camera will give you a good idea the caliber of bucks in your area. build yourself a blind 80yrds from the bait natural or plywood (if you like some portable heat) sit and wait. I have tried it, it brings in alott of deer, BUT i have no patience and love walking. Early's sell 50lb bag of feed oats $10.00 a bag will last a week. no need for mollasses, sugers unless you plan on baiting a bear.

As for lots of work,, pour oats out of bag onto ground. done. know your prevaling wind.

buckwild76
07-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I hear ya dukester i went to Log Cabin Outfitters 2 years ago and sat in a coffin blind for 11 hours the first day (over a grain bait) having to piss in a water bottle no less, i could not WAIT to get the hell out of that thing by the time the giude came around to get me. Cool experience I got to see a lot of wildlife but I would much rather be hiking through the bush you get to see so much more.

ufishifish2
07-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I bait them with salt blocks all year round for my trail cameras. I can't keep up with the number of pictures I am getting. It works great. My own personal ethics though wouldn't permit me to hunt deer using the salt licks.

Centerfire
07-05-2010, 02:24 AM
I didn't think it was legal to bait animals in BC. Where is it laid out in the regs about baiting? I thought you couldn't have bait down for a certain period of time before you can take an animal. I also couldn't find the info about not being able to bait bears in the regs. Am I blind? Help. :confused:

-Centerfire

hunter1947
07-05-2010, 03:18 AM
I used oats at $12.00 for a 50 pound sack the oats worked very well for the deer.

I caught some good bucks on the trail cam that was set up in front of the oats.

Unfortunately I never did get a buck from where the bait station was.

Slinky Pickle
07-05-2010, 06:11 AM
I didn't think it was legal to bait animals in BC. Where is it laid out in the regs about baiting? I thought you couldn't have bait down for a certain period of time before you can take an animal. I also couldn't find the info about not being able to bait bears in the regs. Am I blind? Help. :confused:

-Centerfire

From page 14 of the 2010 - 2012 synopsis

It is unlawful..

17) to intentionally feed or attempt to feed dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf and bear) except when lawfully engaged in hunting or trapping where baiting is authorised.

Until deer are considered dangerous wildlife you're good to go!

I used to use molasses for my trail cam but it just brought in bears. Now I stick to salt.

ratherbefishin
07-05-2010, 06:24 AM
They love COB[corn,oats barley] and since I like watching deer ,generally keep a small amount out.I don't know about salt blocks-they should work.I think the key to it is consistancy,I doubt if you can just put some feed out and expect them to show up,they have to establish feeding patterns

dukester
07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
They love COB[corn,oats barley] and since I like watching deer ,generally keep a small amount out.I don't know about salt blocks-they should work.I think the key to it is consistancy,I doubt if you can just put some feed out and expect them to show up,they have to establish feeding patterns
Forsure if you can get ahold of corn bingo!! they love it. salt blocks work great for spring/summer in addition to the grain.If you can get a hay bail break it up and pour your grain ontop makes it last longer, keeps the bears out of it also. As for feeding pattern, well if i put out a case of beer in your back yard, i'm sure the 1st time you see it your feeding pattern will change. lol.. deer will find those oats/corn in a hurry and will eat any time during the day till its gone. i fed a whitetail Doe and her fawn 500lbs of oats and 200lbs of apples, with 1000trail cam pics of them over the summer/fall. OMG the Doe was so fat. Looks like i have her back with twins this yr.

leadpillproductions
07-05-2010, 11:18 AM
the problem with barley it heats them up , You see hunting shows where there loosing the hair thats why, but they like it the best i use rolled oats

buckwild76
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
I put out 100lb. of cob feed last year in a fairly well used area and got 1 pic of a doe??? I did however go out today to a different area (the back of an old slough bottom) and put my camera up with about 40lb. of apples, so we'll see.

gwillim
07-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I put some mineral enriched loose livestock salt next to a stream/wallow where I usually set up a trail cam. Within a few days I had about 200 pics of this guy...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/moose.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19673&size=big&cat=501)

leadpillproductions
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I put some mineral enriched loose livestock salt next to a stream/wallow where I usually set up a trail cam. Within a few days I had about 200 pics of this guy...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/moose.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19673&size=big&cat=501)
what region this guy from

gwillim
07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
That there is one of the rare Southern Selkirk moose. Seem to be getting less rare every year around here...

Mauser98
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I didn't think it was legal to bait animals in BC.................. I also couldn't find the info about not being able to bait bears in the regs. Am I blind? Help. :confused:

-Centerfire

Here ya go. This is from Sect 17 of the Hunting Regs(the real regs, not the synopsis)

17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts

(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,
Bait is defined as:

any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy; Baiting deer is not prohibited in the Regs

Slinky Pickle
07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
any thing, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;

I hate to even open this can of worms, but where does a distressed rabbit call fit in with predator hunting? It's certainly manufactured to attract wildlife.

Has anyone recieved an opinion from a CO on this one?

Sorry for the slight thread derailment.

boxhitch
07-07-2010, 07:02 AM
I bait them with salt blocks all year round for my trail cameras. I can't keep up with the number of pictures I am getting. It works great. My own personal ethics though wouldn't permit me to hunt deer using the salt licks.
Any good pics of those pesty elk ?

boxhitch
07-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Has anyone recieved an opinion from a CO on this one?No need. Calling has nothing to do with baiting. The manufactured product mentioned is related to feed.

tbocking
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
just out of curiousity when you guys are placing your bait or checking your trail cams are you concerned about your sent ie rubber boots sprays etc

dougster
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
would it be considered baiting if you returned in a day or two to the sight where you cleaned your deer? Are you not supposed to return to a gut pile? and if you do return and there is a bear there, is it baiting or is it just your lucky day?

Slinky Pickle
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
just out of curiousity when you guys are placing your bait or checking your trail cams are you concerned about your sent ie rubber boots sprays etc

I try pretty hard to de-scent before I go ih and I don't take anything with me that isn't necessary. Well, maybe just a case of beer... and the scotch bottle... oh, and the Cheezies.

Seriously though, I try to go into the trail cam sites with the same care that I would hunt with.

Mauser98
07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
would it be considered baiting if you returned in a day or two to the sight where you cleaned your deer? Are you not supposed to return to a gut pile? and if you do return and there is a bear there, is it baiting or is it just your lucky day?

Did you return with the intention of hunting bear? If so, yeh, I'd call it baiting.

(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,

DGuest
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
When I lived in New Brunswick we used Beef finisher, bought it at shur-gain, deer absolutely love it!

buckwild76
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Ethics man, ethics.

hunter1947
07-08-2010, 03:03 AM

I would say to some extend that the animal passing through does smell the human scent.

The animals that you do catch on your trail cam if they do smell human scent they just keep traveling on by ,at least that is what I have found out in the past ,the trail cam pictures tell the story.

If it rains it will clean up the human scent on the trail cam as well or after a few days the human scent will filter away leaving next to non on the trail camera.

If human scent does play a roll lots of times a game animal will be coming into the scent of your trail camera down wind of the trail camera and then the animal would not smell any human scent ,there are all kinds of things that could be a factor :wink:..

mrdoog
07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Ethics man, ethics.

HUH?..........

Caribou_lou
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm going to grab a trail cam this year and try baiting. Not intending to hunt over it. Just want to see what caliber of buck I am following.

Darksith
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM
find a good spot and plant a couple apple trees, no maintenance if you can find a place to keep it moist. Crab apples work well too, but ripen too early. Ive never tried this, but have always wanted to. You can legally bait a bear with a tree as well I thought, if you can keep them away from it until fall that is.

Darksith
07-08-2010, 01:51 PM

you know the answer already, so why ask the question. As someone said above...ethics

MichelD
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Oats? Is that what works?

I put a 100 pounds of salmon guts out in my spot and didn't have a single deer come to it.

Just kidding

buckwild76
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
the ethics comment was directed to the post regarding shooting a bear over a known gutpile.

nano
07-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Any of you guys plant or hunt over food plots

phoenix
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I set up a rackstacker.com Mineral Fountain earlier this year and it is amazing. The first deer hit it about 2 hrs after I set it up. That takes topping a small tree and in my case trimming surrounding branches. I had to carry in a ladder to top the tree, not quiet. The stuff smells so good I was tempted to lick it myself:mrgreen: If I was to do it again I would pass on the fountain and just buy the bags of minerals. You pour it on a rotting stump and water it in. The fountain is a bucket you mount on top of a small topped off tree. When it rains the minerals drip out of holes in the bottom of the bucket and down the tree. Since I set it up about 4 months ago I have gotten over 1500 pics from the trail cam I have set up over it.
I also have a small food plot set up near the house that attracts a lot of deer throughout the year. I have hunted the food plot, deer from the sundeck:mrgreen:, and will hunt the nice white tail that is using the fountain if he is there in the fall no problem.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/SUNP0003.jpg

hunter1947
07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
This is a picture of a nice Island deer I captured eating my oats..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_1491.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19695)

ufishifish2
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM

Nah, I put my cams up near Pinaus Lake, whereas, the Elk head somewhere high up between Falkland and Salmon Arm/Enderby at this time of year. They disappear during the summer months every year, and then reappear for the rest of the year. I do have a really nice 6 point Elk shed I found in Westwold though.

leadpillproductions
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
when do you guys start to bait for deer. here they start in oct

dukester
07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
when do you guys start to bait for deer. here they start in oct

3-4 weeks before your hunt.. some start as soon as snow is gone.

Vanman1985
07-10-2010, 10:46 PM

Crappy pictures but here they are...

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/photos003.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/photos002.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/photos001.jpg

boxhitch
07-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Them's the bale munchers.
Saw a beauty 6 at the driveway to the range in late Oct

Vanman1985
07-11-2010, 12:24 AM
These pictures are a bit older, they were taken back in '07. I've seen them around but this was the only chance with the camera. We didn't see them last year at all though.

digger dogger
07-11-2010, 09:01 AM
3 parts cracked corn, 1 part powdered C'mere Deer. One scoop at a time, so the bears, mice, squirrells don't get it all! If the deer come only at night, take it away, and put it out in the morning to get them on your schedule. When the bears are gone to sleep, full force apples, crushed and sprinckled with C'mere Deer powder.. 4' away i have a Deer Co. Cain mineral lick. I can't say if the Deer Cain works, but there are 3 big Blk Tails around my place.