PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Rod & Reel Whats Good?

Don_Abbate
07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I want to start fly fishing and was wondering what rod and reel combo would be good to start with something good but dosnt break the bank and mostly going to be fishing trout on lakes and rivers any help will be great

NaStY
07-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Really depends on you. Do you know how to cast? Will it just be for trolling a fly? How big of fish to you plan on fighting? The best thing to do is go to your local tackle shop and ask lots of questions. Then when you have an idea what you want, feel free to ask others what they think of what you plan on....

Hub sports in abbotsford has lots of good choices.

Steeleco
07-04-2010, 10:14 PM
For lakes you'll likely want something around a 5 or 6 weight. But as to which one, Nasty has already touched on that answer.

doubled
07-05-2010, 05:33 AM
Once you figure out what you want, have a quick look on Ebay. I have saved hundreds if not thousands through this route. I try to support the local businesses but when things are half price, it is a no brainer.

Tarp Man
07-05-2010, 05:53 AM
It all depends on what your budget is. Breaking the bank takes different meanings for everyone. If you are looking under $150 for a rod and reel, the Amundson Top Fly combo is one of the best going, and the company is local to the Lower Mainland, so warranty service is lightning fast if you have an ooops moment. The Redington Crosswater combo is also a good deal, but with a faster action. If you are just beginning, spending a day and some money on casting lessons with a pro is likely the best money you can spend after getting kitted up. Spending less than $100 on a rod will likely get you a bit of a broom handle of a rod - too stiff and heavy to give you the feel you need as a beginning fly caster.

Edit: if you are near Abbotsford, Reaction Fly and Tackle out on Whatcom Road exit of HWY #1 will be able to set you up with a rod, reel and line and casting lessons. They also hold casting clinics out at Cultus Lake over the winter, so keep an eye out for that. Hub Sports may have some selection of rods, but there is no where to try them out. Reaction does have a strip of grass to use.

Don_Abbate
07-05-2010, 05:20 PM
awesome thanks for all the help guys, a lesson sounds good aswell, thanks

MB_Boy
07-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Don.....I was looking for a set up to get started back last fall as I spend all my time out on the salt chuck.

As tarpman said.....it's all about your budget. Now if you are looking to keep reasonably priced I had a lot of people as noted above recommend looking at Amundson Rods and Reels. Very affordable and sound pretty darn reliable for the price point from a local company.

http://amundson.ca/

If you do want to move "up" in price......really the sky is 'almost' the limit. :wink:

Don_Abbate
07-05-2010, 06:22 PM
where do they sell amundson

springpin
07-05-2010, 06:57 PM
In my opinion, the Temple fork outfitters rods are a good rod, and resonably priced...My reels are BFR, and Redington, and really like both of them, and never have had a problem with either of them.

But there are so many companies out there, it's hard to choose.

good luck.

MB_Boy
07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
where do they sell amundson

Geez.....do I have to catch the fish for ya too? :wink:

Go on to the website I noted above.....look under "Dealers" and you will find a complete list.

Don_Abbate
07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
ahah yah that would work thank you MB

FishandHunt
07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I'm a g-loomis fan, although the price can get a little high.

Iron Glove
07-06-2010, 09:55 AM
As everyone else has said, decide where and what type of fishing you will be doing, but the usual "go to" outfit that is usable for most is a 9 - 9.5 ft. 5 wt.
There are many quality lower priced outfits available. Amundsen seems pretty good, have seen them at Army and Navy. Temple Fork produces a very nice outfit.
I regularly furnish my adult son and son-in-law with Dragon Fly outfits ( son breaks his annually :( ) from Berry's Bait. At the Father's Day sale, about $120 or so for a Dragonfly rod and reel combo, low price floater and backing. Even came with a rod sock and tube. Son is an accomplished flyer and he loves 'em.
I have Sage, Orvis and others but my favourite is a 5 piece 4 wt. from Cabellas - probably cost me @ $125.00 all in.
One "trick" to consider is loading the reel with a line that is one weight higher - i.e. a 5 wt line on a 4 wt. rod. Son-in-law and soon to be daughter in law and son have all tried it and they liked the ease of casting.

07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Lots of good stuff has been touched on here. Admunson,Temple fork, St.Croix, fenwick they all make good rods. But what hasnt been said is..

Make you budget spend as much as you can on the rod. Buy a good courtland or scientific anglers weight foreward dry line and buy a cheaper reel.

Reason is, The rod and the line make your cast. The reel just holds the line. Dont get me wrong the reel does a bit more but to start you dont need an Islander or a Lampson, Get a Dragonfly. You can buy a better reel after you get addicted.

Buy a rod with one weight. Dont but a 5,6,7weight rod get a 5 or a 6 weight. This keeps the balance.

And when you are in the store inquire on casting clinics, they will put you miles ahead.

100-200 rod
75-100 reel
50 line
ish

Fly fishing isnt cheap. If you buy a cheap rod your learning curve will be long. Spend a bit more on the rod and the rod will work better.