PDA

View Full Version : Our First Stone Ram's

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-04-2010, 12:32 PM
well it's almost sheep season and i can hardly control my self, so i thought i would try to tell ya about are Aug 08 stone hunt.

this was not are first try at stone's it was my second and Wayne's third all turned up nothing,but with the first couple hunts we learned lots and new we were getting close to getting are first rams.
are hunt started July 30 when i got off of work and met Wayne at my r.v in pink mt,we planed this hunt over the phone do to location and work schedules,so we had allot of organizing to do, after throwing out all are gear on the ground and cutting out as much as possible we were ready with are 75 pound packs.

with no fear and filled with piss and vinegar we were off at 9:30 at night we drove a hole 2hrs before i had to pull over just outside ft nelson..we were both really tired i just worked a 14hr day and Wayne drove 12hrs to get to my place we were both done.

July 31 we woke up at 4:30 am and continue are drive to are SPOT cant remember how long the drive took i think between 6 to 8 hrs:mrgreen: to get to are SPOT..with the tunes CRANKED!! we filled are water bottles and changed into are climbing gear,listing to Ozzy getting are self's pumped up for the climb and staring at the MOUNTAIN before us and picking are route.

7hrs later we break through the tree line and decided to make camp still not at the top but in a good spot to glass and still have some cover,after setting up camp we pull out the spotting scope's and start looking around with in 15 min we have sheep spotted and they are rams small ones mind you but still we were happy to be so lucky. after glassing for a 2hrs we made dinner "mr noodle" and called it a night.

Aug 1 awake early stiff and sore from the climb up we both down Advil an ibuprofen with are instant coffee, after breakfast we glass for awhile looking for the rams we saw the night before with no luck,so we grab are packs and head for the top which we think is just over the next noel we are sadly mistaken 2hrs later we make it to the top legs burning and dying of thirst.

water was short on this trip we only had 6 liters each and were hoping to find some along the way..but there was none, so we were watching are water carefully,not fun when your are thirsty and can not down a bunch of water when it's +23 out!

when on top we started glassing the surroundings and found sheep quick,1.5 km away on a south facing slope there was 7 rams feeding after checking them over there was one shooter for sure and maybe another, but with no cover we closed the distance to about 800 yards and looked them over again 1 legal ram that's it! Wayne was the one who spotted the rams so it was go time for Wayne!!! we decided that he would close the distance by himself and i would stay back and watch through the spotting scope.

After a hour or so Wayne closed the gap to 365 yards crawling on his hands and knees with me watch through the spotter i hear the crack of his 270 and the sound of his bullet flying through the air!! i will never forget this sound it was unbelievable it was like a f-18 flying through the valley with a loud smack at the end of it!!! SO COOL i watch the ram hump up and start to roll down the backside of the mountain.

when i reached Wayne we shook hands and gave some hi fives, it was a moment that we will never forget, he has got his first ram and we are now going for that walk to find his ram talking loud and going over the last moments of his hunt..good times!

After finding the ram and taking pictures we de-bone the ram and pack up for the 800 yard pack straight up the backside of the mountain,Wayne carried all of his ram out and would not let me help and that's the way we are stubborn bull headed,we made to the top and then back down to are camp with burning legs. we decided to break camp and head back down do to heat and lack of water are hunt was over, with time running out we head down, wayne's pack had to be min 125 pounds i took his clothes and sleeping gear in mine and any extra stuff we could fit in which put me around a 95 pounds. 6hrs latter we made it to the hwy drench in sweat and legs that felt like rubber it was over, never so happy to see the truck!!
part 2 coming soon, it's not really over yet!!!

srupp
07-04-2010, 12:36 PM
GREAT photos, wonderful story..well done I love these sheep episodes...waaaaaaaaaaaaay cool...THANK YOU

can't hardly wait for part deux..
Steven

Geo.338
07-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Nice story and pics .Wayne is an old high school buddy of mine .Have not seen him for years .Glad to see his smiling face with that ram and looking forward to the next part. Geo

kennyj
07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Sounds like an awesome hunt. Thanks for the story and great photos. Can't wait for part 2.
kenny

pappy
07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Thats a good story to get primed up for sheep season. I hope to get up north in Aug. to feel the burn in my legs. hope to hear the rest soon.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice story and pics .Wayne is an old high school buddy of mine .Have not seen him for years .Glad to see his smiling face with that ram and looking forward to the next part. Geo
small world Geo,Wayne and i have been friends for awhile,we will be going again this year and his son will be coming along cant wait!!

whitetailsheds
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Very nice Jamie...thanks for posting it up....

Duk Dog
07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Right on, congrats on your successful hunt! Not long now for the 2010 season.

WildlifePredator
07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Some great pictures!

kootenayelkslayer
07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Great story and great ram. Gettin' me pumped up for sheep season.

rollingrock
07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Awesome story and photos!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
once we got to the truck we unloaded Wayne's ram we washed and cleaned the meat up in the river,but not before drinking about a gallon of water each. we loaded everything back into the truck and were on a mission to make it to ft nelson to have BEER, i think we drove about 45 min before we pulled over we couldn't make it any farther, way to tired.

Aug 2 we wake at 6am and got out of the truck and went for a leak and we are both hunched over like we are a 100 years old, so out comes the Advil and ibuprofen are body's hurt all over from head to toe. we drove to nelson and fueled up and grabbed coffees and headed to pink mt.

Just before we got to my place we passed a coworker of mine on the hwy,he is big time sheep hunter so we turned around and flagged him over to show him Wayne's ram, we told him the about the hunt from the beginning to the end, when we were all through he congratulated us and said if i were you guys i would be going right BACK?? Wayne and i looked at each other and the brain waves started to go..we honestly never Even thought about going back but we still had time..but could are bodies handle it...

We got back to my r.v and butchered the ram and put the head in my girlfriends deep freeze, we were sore and tired but with the thought of getting a chance at another ram was starting to get us ALIVE AGAIN.. Wayne and i looked at each other and we both knew we were going again!!

We re organized all are gear and got a load of laundry in the wash and decided we had to go to fort st john for more supplies..water bladders and hard Candie and a flat of Gatorade, and i wanted to up grade my spotter the leupy sequoia just didn't cut the mustard.

After running around FSJ we stopped at backcountry and grabbed Bushnell elite 15-45-70 and we were on are way back to pink mt drinking Gatorade like no tomorrow,we quickly re packed are gear and were off again to the SPOT,Wayne drove this time and we made it all the way with no naps.

Aug 3 awake at 5:30 am and start the climb again with much surprise it was allot easier just knowing the trail better,we get to the top and set up camp 2:30 we are glassing for rams again but nothing it is hotter then hell so we decide to take a nap for a couple hours.

we wake up 5:30 and eat some more Advil ibuprofen and head out for evening walk and glassing session,we go in the opposite way from where Wayne got his ram, after 1hr of walking we spot some sheep RAMS WE BOTH HIT THE DECK!! we were a long way away and cant get a good look so we back track and get lower on the hillside to stay out of sight.

We make it to about 600 yards and crest over the top were we last seen the rams we are now above them! and what a awesome sight we were now looking at 24 rams all feeding in and out of the willows and pine trees! we looked over the rams for 2hrs trying to figure out which ones are legal but it was to hard with the angle we were at.

We were losing light now and the skeeters are driving us crazy with the rams still 500 yards away they start to feed toward us!!! trying to stay still and judge moving rams the excitement was growing fast!!! the rams are now 200 yards and still coming are way!! Wayne and i pick one ram out at the back that looks good full curl and broomed,we both agree he's legal and i get ready to shoot but he gets in the middle of the rest of the sheep and i cant get the shot off.

With that many sheep around it was confusing trying to pick him out!! they are still coming are way!! the ram I'm looking for makes his way to the front of the pack now leading them!! to come up on top now at a 100 yards and broad side i raise my gun! Wayne gives me final confirmation and my gun barks the ram drops..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0253.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19630&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=14071)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0233.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19629&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=14071)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0263.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19631&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=14071)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0243.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19633&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=14071)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0222.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19628&ppuser=14071)

cavebear
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
awsome story, hope your luck continues this year :)

07-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Great Story and Photos Jamie, keep typing, the Sheep bug's hitting me hard with this story. Brings back some fine memories and reminds me of the pain sheep have caused me over the years too.

Looking forward to more story!

CT

Call of the Wild
07-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow great story and congrad For your hunt.

Your story sure does get me excited for my trip to the mountains.

Call of the wild

hunter1947
07-05-2010, 03:23 AM
Your story tells it all as for the stone laying on the ground http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif,thanks for the story and pictures there http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif congrats..

07-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Awesome story and pics! I hope you can do the same this year.

stoneguide
07-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Great story and great rams. Hope your success continues. Cant wait to be up there hunting next month.
SG

budismyhorse
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
sounds like a heck of a "spot" you got there....

congrats and thanks for sharin the success!

boxhitch
07-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Good going guys
Glad you let yourselves get talked into going for the second trip ?
Lots of unnecessary driving, but I bet you got it dialed for the next time.

paw325
07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Never get tired of Wayne tellin that story. Good luck again this year Jamie.

Peter

srupp
07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
awesome story.... what drive and desire...those Advil deserts sure do the trick..well done guys..24 rams...WOWZER...:eek: talk about being dialed in or what...

thanks guys appreciated that success story...

srupp

BiG Boar
07-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Wicked story J. Looking forward to meeting you this year in Pink Mountain. A buddy of mine has a bison draw from your neck of the woods. Will the sheep be back in time?

kodiak10
07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I hope my partner and I get the same luck.Great story.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Wicked story J. Looking forward to meeting you this year in Pink Mountain. A buddy of mine has a bison draw from your neck of the woods. Will the sheep be back in time?

ya for sure stop in bigbore it's always cool meeting HBC members:)

Chironomid_16
07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Deadly story Jamie, good luck this year and looking forward to seeing you at the end of August!