PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my 2008 season

Marc
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Well I was organizing my pictures on my computer and after seeing some of the collections people put together of their hunts I figured I'd give it a go.

2008 a lot changed for me. I did quite a bit of water fowling back east and a bit on the west coast but my yellow Lab Nash was ageing and It just didn't feel right going without a dog. Christmas 2007 I asked for a new puppy to go Duck hunting. This is when everything changed...

I've wanted a layout boat since I was in my teens and I finally decided that I'm not getting any younger and it would open up so many more opportunities for me as I was hunting alone at the time as I hadn't met any other duck hunters on the island. I took an interest in the MOmarsh DPfatboy as it had a place for the dog situated behind the hunter safe from the muzzle and the noise of the gun. The combination of the boat and the dog has taken waterfowling to a whole new level for me.

Since the creation of the site I've met a lot of good people and able to enjoy a duck blind with several of them.

In this little slid show of 2008 I've been fortunate enough to share a blind with the following members. SVIR-Symon, Tanya, Shotgun John, DuckBuster, HuntNHookSports, and Field Marshall.

http://s683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/huntingbc/?action=view&current=Waterfowl2008.mp4

Pioneerman
07-04-2010, 12:26 PM
nice video, thanks for sharing

kennyj
07-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Awesome photos.You've had good success. I love that boat.
kenny

Marc
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Awesome photos.You've had good success. I love that boat.
kenny

It is a sweet boat,I only had it out for two hunts last fall as the vast majority of my waterfowling last fall was field hunting.

If you remember to a post back to last fall my chessie developed limp tail on a hunt and this was caused by not enough water work to condition the muscles in his tail, 16 water retrieves and sitting on a wet chair in cramped cold conditions. The poor bugger was stiff and sore for 2 or 3 days before he could lift his tail again. I had to leave him home for the following weekend not to re-injure it and the hunting was just not the same without him.

So the conditioning and training now begins as I've been taking him to the bay in the evenings now for an hour or so per night when I can. I've never seen a dog with so much enthusiasm to retrieve.

I want to try and do some video taping of my hunts this year so expect to see some waterfowl video in 2010. I also plan on trying to vary the species and locations from Mallards / Canada Goose field hunting, Teal /Wigeon/Pintail bay hunting, Blue Bills/Golden eyes/and if I get lucky enough maybe the odd canvas back.

Lone Ranger
07-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Nice looking setup! Whats the stability like on the water when shooting? LR

Ruger4
07-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Great post Marc and a great tribute to the " superior " of retrievers !!

Brought back many memories back in the day of westham island marsh area bird hunting. That being the only thing I miss at the coast !!

Chesapeakes are a special breed for sure , the hardiest of the hardy , mine gone for a few years now but still makes my hair stand up responding to your vid. Thanx

R.I.P. Chessie May

Marc
07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice looking setup! Whats the stability like on the water when shooting? LR

Haven't done any deep water shooting but the boat is quite stable. you're pretty much sitting on the floor when shooting and the boat is 4 feet wide and 13 feet long. I do feel a bit of swing in the boat if I sit up fast and swing to shoot. This is where a good anchor front and back of the boat would have to come in to the picture.

Great post Marc and a great tribute to the " superior " of retrievers !!

Brought back many memories back in the day of westham island marsh area bird hunting. That being the only thing I miss at the coast !!

Chesapeakes are a special breed for sure , the hardiest of the hardy , mine gone for a few years now but still makes my hair stand up responding to your vid. Thanx

R.I.P. Chessie May

Love the Chessie, this is the first one I've ever owned and would never go back to anything else if I made all the decisions. :mrgreen: He pisses off the wife on the best of days.

one-shot-wonder
07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Great looking Chessie doing what he loves best!

I am 1 month into Chessie ownership and am more than thrilled!

Good luck this fall!

Tanya
07-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Ah yes, some great hunts that year. Cool Marc, thanks for sharin'!

Albafly
07-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Great looking dog, great pics and a pretty fun season! The boat-dog combo must really open up some opportunity!

Thanks for sharing.

07-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Man!
I love ducks, You guys that post these pics of hunts with wheelbarrows of birds and log fulls an tail gate fulls..... Man, I hope you know what that does to us guys still trying to learn where to go and how to do it!!!!

Great pics! but it is July and now you got me wishing it was October!

Caribou_lou
07-06-2010, 08:51 AM
That looks like one happy dog. Great vid.

mijinkal
07-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Great vid! Looks like a great time had by you and your dog. I love the boat!
I can't wait to get out hunting with my dog.
What do you do with all of those ducks and geese?

Marc
07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
What do you do with all of those ducks and geese?

I eat em :mrgreen:, seriously I eat pretty much everything I shoot and then some. I work with a bunch of guys and it's nothing to go through 2 or 3 ducks a week if not more. I just roasted up two geese for Canada day as I had 9 people over for supper that evening.

I've also had some made up as Kielbasa and and Acadian style fricot, man is it good.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/huntingbc/kielbasa.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv191/huntingbc/bottledfricot.jpg