PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting/ Bear Defence

cainer
07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
What do you archery dudes carry for bear defense if anything? Thinking about eventually trying for an elk with a bow, but wouldn't care to run into a nice big Grizz with just a pointy stick.
Yet, can't see myself wanting to carry around a long shot gun while out bow hunting-and would you even be allowed anyways? If yer out in a Bow only area, I'm guessing you can't carry a firearm while you're hunting.

Looking for some suggestions and see what works for all yee archers.

Buck
07-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I carry Bear spray but i will be getting a Eberlestock A1 pack it has a bowholder and rifle holder built into the pack.Where i hunt deer during bow only season bearhunting with rifle is open at the same time so you can carry a gun with you.In other ares you would have to get a note from the CO.

redthorn
07-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I carry an extra arrow.

Ron.C
07-04-2010, 09:31 AM
I ALWAYS carry bear spray whenever I'm hiking, bowhunting, gun hunting regardless of where I am. It works!!!!! I sprayed a cougar this winter at a stones throw from me and it didn't like it one bit, and took off on a dead run. Unfortunately due to wind direction, the spray cloud was blown into my face and my eyes burned for days. I am 100% confident, A gun would have done me no good whatsoever in this situation. It all just happened too fast.

When I bowhunt on the island, Most of my stands are very close to home and I am pleanty comfortable without a firearm, even after this incident. I hunt in areas commonly frequented by others and have cell contact, so I am by no means "alone" and help is not far away

Having said all that, A few years back when I started hunting reg 4 alone, in 4-25 where there is no cell coverage and quite remote. I borrowed a friends 12 guage 870 shotgun for a solo bowhunt when packing in for a goat. The problem was it was still very large heavy and alot of xtra weight added to my pack. After that trip I still wanted to have some sort of firearm for pack in type hunts, or day hunts where I may find myself several kms in with the possibility of having an elk down.
What I ended up picking up was a single shot 16 guage shotgun with a 20" barrel. I know alot of guys will say "what good is a single shot", or why a 16 guage, too small! My intention is not to hunt with this gun, but have something that is very light but still have some punch. I have it loaded with a 16 guage slug, and have 5 more on the butt stock.

Is it light and packable" Yes, very much so"

Can I use it at a moments notice "Yes, "

Will it stop a charging bear? Hopefully I don't have to find out

Will it put down an agressive cat? Hopefully I don't have to find out

Is it nice to have ready and leaning against a tree beside me while I'm hunting anlone and calling elk? "You Bet"
In the past 3 early Region 4 archery elk seasons, I have run into two griz bear and called in 7 black bears and one cougar while calling alone, and a Sow+4 cubs when hunting with two friends. I can assure you, when you are 15 yards face/face with a bear that wants to eat and came to the sounds of a call, even a single shot shotgun makes you feel better:wink:

Is it nice to have laying in the tent beside me when I camped alone in elk country with Griz around "You Bet", especially after you saw a Griz 200 yards from your camp two days earlier

Does it give me a little more peace if mind and the confidence to "go in a little further", You bet

Is it as effective as a pump shotgun or 45/70 for bear defence "no"

Is it more effective then my bow for bear defence "yes"

Is it more effective them my pepper spray " depends on the situation, but it's another option"

I predominantly hunt alone, and now think carrying a firearm when bowhunting in Griz Counrty is not a bad idea. You have to do what you think is best to keep yourself safe and what gives you the confidence to get out and hunt comfortably. Just because one guy says you "need" a cannon with dozens of rounds doesn't make it so. He made need it to feel comfortable/safe, just as another may think there is no need to a firearm period.
That's my little rant on this subject. Have fun, be safe!!!!

rocket
07-04-2010, 09:42 AM
personally I don't carry anything, have had a run in with a cougar at 30 yards, missed with an arrow he wouldn't leave til i shot at him,(kinda getting off topic) talked to a couple other bowhunters after, one guy said some guides carry a flare gun in bear country for backup. Nothing like a fireball to the face and you don't need a permit to carry it. interesting idea as long as you don't burn down the forest.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I carry a flare pen with Bangers and or Spray ...when i am Hiking alone in bear country .... I dont want the extra weight of a rifle .. I also have a good knife very handy to my hand that isnt carrying the bow

I havent had a need to discharge either as of yet ... Be aware of your surroundings and you wont have a problem .... a bear will only charge you or attack if it feels threatend or you surprise it .... a cougar typically wont attack you if are a bigger person ...even so there are exceptions to each rule ...

The Hermit
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
After a very close encounter last year with an adult G-Sow I will always carry my 12G Defender. Period.

Rob
07-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I carry Bear spray but i will be getting a Eberlestock A1 pack it has a bowholder and rifle holder built into the pack.Where i hunt deer during bow only season bearhunting with rifle is open at the same time so you can carry a gun with you.In other ares you would have to get a note from the CO.

Curious as to why you need a note from a C.O?

cainer
07-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I carry a flare pen with Bangers and or Spray ...when i am Hiking alone in bear country .... I dont want the extra weight of a rifle .. I also have a good knife very handy to my hand that isnt carrying the bow

I havent had a need to discharge either as of yet ... Be aware of your surroundings and you wont have a problem .... a bear will only charge you or attack if it feels threatend or you surprise it .... a cougar typically wont attack you if are a bigger person ...even so there are exceptions to each rule ...

I'm thinking the bear spray might be a good addition...Problem is the dang fog nozzle that comes with it. you can almost guarantee the bear is going to be upwind from you if you surprise it and a nice blast-o-pepper to your own face(cuz what happens when you spray into the wind:wink:) isn't going to help your cause-might make you taste better if anything. :mrgreen:

I always carry a large gerber knife-saw strapped to my pack- although- i'd rather not count on that if I run into the 'exception'al bear

Just puttin the feelers out to see who carries what, and how they think it affects their hunt/hike.

Gateholio
07-04-2010, 02:16 PM
http://www.canadaammo.com/images/P/8.5.jpg

Bow Walker
07-04-2010, 02:21 PM
If I were to be going into country where there were bears that would want to do me harm, I'd pack along one of these pictured below - filled with good quality slugs. The weight would just be a satisfyingly, reassuring weight.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs516.ash1/30402_430579515515_526315515_6153049_3892847_n.jpg

cainer
07-04-2010, 02:53 PM
like the looks of the short one there. anyone know what the shortest legal shotgun allowed in canada is? can't really tell from that photo, but looks like a pretty short sg in that picture. what is it?

killman
07-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I was thinking one of these.

http://www.wanstalls.com/Tactical-Shotguns/files/page17-1002-full.jpg

Buck
07-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Curious as to why you need a note from a C.O?

I read a post about the Todagin Bow only zone where the guy got a note from the C/O to carry i am not sure if its absolute law or not as to carrying a firearm during bow season.

Gateholio
07-04-2010, 04:08 PM
like the looks of the short one there. anyone know what the shortest legal shotgun allowed in canada is? can't really tell from that photo, but looks like a pretty short sg in that picture. what is it?

Top one is 8.5" barrel shotgun from Dominon Arms

Next down is 18" Barrel Mossberg

Then 14" barrel with a "youth" butt stock

DOuble barrel is also DOmnion Arms with 12" barrels.

Ron.C
07-04-2010, 04:14 PM

according to the Canadian firearms Center, pretty sure Non restricted rifle or shotgun - Barrel length greater then 18.5 and overall length of 26" or greater

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a3

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

Restricted firearms include:

handguns that are not prohibited;
semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (about 18.5 inches);
rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches); and
firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/code-eng.htm)Prohibited firearms include:

handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;
rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm (about 18 inches) or their overall length is less than 660 mm (about 26 inches);
full automatics;
converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and
firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/pol-leg/code-eng.htm).

Gateholio
07-04-2010, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=Ron.C;704432Barrel length greater then 18.5[/QUOTE]

This only applies to semi auto rifles and shotguns.

You cannot CHOP DOWN a barrel shorter than 18" but if the barrel is MANUFACTURED that way, it's legal. All the shotguns pictured above are non restricted.

cainer
07-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Nice-so if I can find a nice shorty like the double above-it can be legally purchased in Canada-and i don't have to worry about it?

"You cannot CHOP DOWN a barrel shorter than 18" but if the barrel is MANUFACTURED that way, it's legal. All the shotguns pictured above are non restricted."

I thought i read that somewhere, but just wasn't sure. Been wrong before-once ;)

Bow Walker
07-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd wonder about the hammers on that double. Hope they don't catch on anything and go off prematurely....and, hopefully there's time to cock the hammers prior to firing.

cainer
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
haveta say i'm leaning towards a pump/lever shotgun. I like the dominion line, but hard to find.

Slinky Pickle
07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Here's my version of Bear Spray!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bear_Spray.jpg

P.S. The cammo was added by the boys at Cobra Imaging in Salmon Arm.

Gateholio
07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Frankly, I'd avoid the side by side "Outlaw" as a bear defense tool. Exposed hammers that need to be cocked make it somewhat elss desirable. And as it's like $400, it's not going to be as good quality a finely made expensive double gun:wink:

Dominion shotguns are made for Canada Ammo.com by Norinco.

8.5, 12.5, 14, and 18" barrels

I know Omineca has a few 8.5" barrel shotguns

northof49
07-05-2010, 04:13 AM

Pen with bangers = so so. If close will go off behind and can scare towards you. Have seen bears that didn't seem to care one bit. If predatory black bear you will probably wish you a gun. I thro defender with pistol grip and folding stock over back. Its a pain but feel safer having it on the hoof and in tent.

Coyote
07-05-2010, 08:59 PM
This little item could be good for bears and all kinds of other pests if they market it. Folds up nice and compact. I like the hip pocket idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

'yote

Bow Walker
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Now that looks do-able. Barrel might be just a wee bit too long though.....now where the hell did I put my hacksaw?!?

Here's my version of Bear Spray!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bear_Spray.jpg

P.S. The cammo was added by the boys at Cobra Imaging in Salmon Arm.

The Hermit
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
This little item could be good for bears and all kinds of other pests if they market it. Folds up nice and compact. I like the hip pocket idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99NHb6B03s

'yote

OB baby!!!! I like that one for sure!! LOL Its shit like this that makes me want to live in the US sometimes!! LOL

Slinky Pickle
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Now that looks do-able. Barrel might be just a wee bit too long though.....now where the hell did I put my hacksaw?!?

I agree, but I had to keep it that long so as not to ruffle the feathers of the federallies!

Coyote
07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, kinda makes you feel warm and fuzzy all over don't it Bill.

'yote

J_T
07-07-2010, 06:52 AM
OB baby!!!! I like that one for sure!! LOL Its shit like this that makes me want to live in the US sometimes!! LOL

Haha.... "Get's nasty.... get down to business"

hardnocks
07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Overall length must be 26in...you can have a barrel shorter then 18 but it must not be on a takedown shot gun.

Iga from brazil make a 410 that has a 10in barrel its a non take down model.