PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips

PointMan
07-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I know this has probably been covered a hundred times already, but I'm asking again anyway, sorry. I'm looking for a few tips on hunting mulies and whitetails here in BC. I've hunted moose back east before, but there's no big science to it, find some sign, follow the track and scout around it and before too long you'll usually strike meat. The Deer on the other hand seem to have me at their mercy, been skunked two years in a row. I'm not using any special tactics, or treating my clothes, is this really necessary or is it personal preference? I think I may have found the perfect honey hole (LOTS of sign at a river crossing, hopefully no one else frequents there), I want to make sure I keep this place "deer friendly". Assuming I do plug my buck here, how far should I haul my deer before dumping the gut pile? Like I said, newbie questions I know, but getting tired of finding new ways to justify buying a license and tags to the wife every year. LOL

Feel free to throw in any tips or comments you feel necessary. Thanks guys.

Gateholio
07-03-2010, 03:37 PM
First tip-

Use regular font and colour if you actually want anyone to read your posts...:wink:

CanuckShooter
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
You should find a mentor, it's really not all that hard to nail a deer. I've shot a deer one day and watched one sniff the gut pile the next....they stand beside the open flames of a slash pile...they run like the dickens when you walk upwind of them [most of the time] and they will spot you moving way before you spot them [most of the time] and they have awesome hearing...you whistle, fart, rustle as you walk and they will hear you..;). some people even speculate they can hear the ticking of your wrist watch.....

PointMan
07-03-2010, 04:06 PM
First tip-

Use regular font and colour if you actually want anyone to read your posts...:wink:
Oh sure! My first post and the best tip you can give is about fonts!? I KNEW I shouldn't have had my wife proof read it first! Any tips pertaining to HUNTING by chance? (note font and font colour) :mrgreen:

Gateholio
07-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Tip number 2

Put your location in your profile. BC is a big place and deer hunting tactics vary considerably from coast to the rocky mountains...

ROEBUCK
07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Tip No 3 ,
Dont Question Gatehouse! He Is Allways Right!!

The Hermit
07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Tip number 2

Put your location in your profile. BC is a big place and deer hunting tactics vary considerably from coast to the rocky mountains...

Use of coloured text helps to highlight exceptionally useful guidance! Ha!

If you happen to be on Vancouver Island, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions. 1) travel to Princeton to hunt deer as the only deer on VI live in the cities and towns; 2) get a quad so you can bi-pass all the frickin forestry gate on the island; 3) get into bowhunting and try a hunting from a tree-stand close to the main trials you have found; 4) get off the quad and outta the truck and slowly hike UP to the tops of the clearcuts along the edges frequently glassing everything that even remotely resembles a deer; 5) hunt mid-week when there are fewer people out there!

Gut your deer where it falls, unless that happens to be in a stream or on a road... deer are not spooked by gut piles.

Gateholio
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Use of coloured text helps to highlight exceptionally useful guidance! Ha!

That would be a good use of colored text.:-D

PointMan
07-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Tip number 2

I would have updated my profile, but unfortunately I was a member of HuntingBC almost a week before it would let me post anything or even access my profile. For what it's worth I'm in Vernon so most of my hunting is done in region 8 with a little done in 4-14. I'll update my profile shortly.

Caveman
07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I know this has probably been covered a hundred times already, but I'm asking again anyway, sorry. I'm looking for a few tips on hunting mulies and whitetails here in BC. I've hunted moose back east before, but there's no big science to it, find some sign, follow the track and scout around it and before too long you'll usually strike meat. The Deer on the other hand seem to have me at their mercy, been skunked two years in a row. I'm not using any special tactics, or treating my clothes, is this really necessary or is it personal preference? I think I may have found the perfect honey hole (LOTS of sign at a river crossing, hopefully no one else frequents there), I want to make sure I keep this place "deer friendly". Assuming I do plug my buck here, how far should I haul my deer before dumping the gut pile? Like I said, newbie questions I know, but getting tired of finding new ways to justify buying a license and tags to the wife every year. LOL

Feel free to throw in any tips or comments you feel necessary. Thanks guys.

No real science to being successful on deer either. Whitetails are very predictable as in they tend to stay in a rather small area their entire life and use the same trails over and over. Mule deer are less predictable, but curious by nature. If you have a well traveled trail to a bedding area or a food plot, stake it out, they are bound to show up. Be patient and persistent. Wind in your face, eyes and ears open. I'd be tempted to set up a blind off off that river crossing with good sight lines by 30 yds and sit and wait.

2nd tip, if you're going to use a different color, make it bigger as there are likely a lot of aging eyes trying read this

knighthunter
07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
All great advice so far, I'm glad to see you finally got to post on here. Guess who?

PointMan
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
All great advice so far, I'm glad to see you finally got to post on here. Guess who?

Would it be a black powder hunter originating from the flatlands? LOL

NaStY
07-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh sure! My first post and the best tip you can give is about fonts!? I KNEW I shouldn't have had my wife proof read it first! Any tips pertaining to HUNTING by chance? (note font and font colour) :mrgreen:

Really you need advice and you live in Vernon? How about you drive north for 2 blocks and look to your left :mrgreen:

ufishifish2
07-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Now that your font isn't green, and it's looking kinda regular, I'd be happy to take you out come deer season. Show you a few spots not too far from your doorstep, etc, etc. You just have to be willing to drive 30 mins NW to meet me. I can put you onto the mulies my way, or we'll head out to Cherryville area for Whitetails. Keep in touch if you like. Never know when it may pay off!

P.S. - No, I'm not quite as ugly as my avatar depicts. I was hung over that day! Trust me!

hunter1947
07-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Most times when I am looking for a new area I will look at the regs to see what area is open for the animals I want to hunt.

Then I get the back roads book out and plan on an area to hunt this is how you find places to hunt ,Google earth is nice to look at as well.

If this place I selected does not produce and there is not much there I move to a different location till I find what I am looking for.

thepitchedlink
07-04-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm out east of you in Lumby. Feel free to PM me and meet up at the Lumby range and do some practise and talk hunting. I'm new to the area as well so more hunting partners the better....There are buckets of deer around, the hardest part is avoiding other hunters in the area, as it's very popular, I'd be happy to go out with you in the fall. I'd take that offer up about going out around Falkland as well, ( then you can show me!!) I've hunted a bit out there and lots of mulies up high...i'm sure WT's down low.
Pitched

PointMan
07-04-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm out east of you in Lumby. Feel free to PM me and meet up at the Lumby range and do some practise and talk hunting. I'm new to the area as well so more hunting partners the better....There are buckets of deer around, the hardest part is avoiding other hunters in the area, as it's very popular, I'd be happy to go out with you in the fall. I'd take that offer up about going out around Falkland as well, ( then you can show me!!) I've hunted a bit out there and lots of mulies up high...i'm sure WT's down low.
Pitched

Sounds like a plan!