PDA

View Full Version : southernmost ''any bull'' area

ratherbefishin
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I know If I go way up to the Yukon border,there is ''any bull'' seasons,as well as southern early openings for ''any bull'' but I prefer to hunt later on when the weather has cooled down and the flies gone,which restricts me to LE,[unless its for an immature,]and that is an 'iffy'' chance.How far do you have to drive north to get into ''any bull'' areas?Last year I called in a beautiful mature bull-and could only look at him-quite a thrill-but no meat in the pot.I have a canoe and would like,if possable to camp on a lake or river and hunt from that,if only to get away from the crowds

derek p
04-11-2006, 07:18 PM
There is some beautiful country on Highway 37 north of Kitwanga. As soon as you cross the Nass river bridge moose (any moose) is open.
Typically this season starts on the 15th of August. The long weekend in September has lots of hunters up in the Dease Lake country but lower down around Bob Quinn can be quite productive..
The early bulls will be velvet. This is not the rut but the bulls will be on the move looking, it is not uncommon to have frost in Dease Lake by the end of August.:smile:

quadrakid
04-11-2006, 07:43 PM
large areas of zone six open for a week in late oct,great country., fair numbers of moose and some nice mulies in spots, definately nice and cool temps

3kills
04-12-2006, 05:41 AM
quadrakid is right burns lake area for example has an any bull season for a week in oct...

ratherbefishin
04-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I have just got into calling-and the thrill of a bull coming in,what ''any bull areas are open late september to mid October?And, for the post rut[late October]-are the bulls moving-and will they come to a call?

3kills
04-12-2006, 08:19 AM
the burns lake area one is open right during the rut i believe...

Sitkaspruce
04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
By the time the only bull season is open in region 6, the rut has pretty well finished. The odd little bull might come into the call but for the most part the bulls will be holded up and feeding to put weight back on. I hunt that season when I do not get a draw in my area and we have been much more successfull glassing cut blocks and watching main crossing trails. The shores will usually have some ice around them by that time and there will be very little feed in the lakes. Much better hunting the cut blocks and the open fields.

GoatGuy
04-12-2006, 10:14 AM
By the time the only bull season is open in region 6, the rut has pretty well finished. The odd little bull might come into the call but for the most part the bulls will be holded up and feeding to put weight back on. I hunt that season when I do not get a draw in my area and we have been much more successfull glassing cut blocks and watching main crossing trails. The shores will usually have some ice around them by that time and there will be very little feed in the lakes. Much better hunting the cut blocks and the open fields.

Agreed we used to hit the area for 3-4 days on our way down from guiding. It was fairly easy hunting but calling wasn't as effective (it did work on 1 bull though); as Sitka said hit the cutblocks. Bit of road hunting was always nice after 2 months of pounding bush.

If you're looking for a river you can drift several of the rivers around Chetwyn, Hudson's Hope and Ft.St John in August for any bull. There's all kinds of places to spot vehicles and it'll keep you away from the crowds and it's about as far south as you can go. If you stick to 2 day drifts then you shouldn't run into too many problems with meat temps.

City Slicker
09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
There is some beautiful country on Highway 37 north of Kitwanga. As soon as you cross the Nass river bridge moose (any moose) is open.
Typically this season starts on the 15th of August. The long weekend in September has lots of hunters up in the Dease Lake country but lower down around Bob Quinn can be quite productive..
The early bulls will be velvet. This is not the rut but the bulls will be on the move looking, it is not uncommon to have frost in Dease Lake by the end of August.:smile:

Hi

Heading up to Dease Area in a week, never been befor but am after a moose and CBou, What area is the Bob Quinn, Do you have any Access hints for me, drop me a private line if you can. I have ATV and can camp in bush is needed but will be taking my camper with me. I am a seasoned hunter and was told by one guy cassier was the spot but no more info than that.

Scott
City Slicker

BCRiverBoater
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Agreed we used to hit the area for 3-4 days on our way down from guiding. It was fairly easy hunting but calling wasn't as effective (it did work on 1 bull though); as Sitka said hit the cutblocks. Bit of road hunting was always nice after 2 months of pounding bush.

If you're looking for a river you can drift several of the rivers around Chetwyn, Hudson's Hope and Ft.St John in August for any bull. There's all kinds of places to spot vehicles and it'll keep you away from the crowds and it's about as far south as you can go. If you stick to 2 day drifts then you shouldn't run into too many problems with meat temps.

The rivers around FSJ have some good river boat traffic in hunting season so careful when you say it will keep you away from the crowds. Some areas yes, some areas no. Also the moose pop took a hit 2 years ago. Of course we still have lots of game around. The rivers are quieter than the roads and cut lines but still not isolated by any means. Riverboating in FSJ has exploded the last 10 years. Not uncommon in July/August to have 50 plus boat trailers at the launch for the Peace River.