PDA

View Full Version : Misguided bear cub

Slinky Pickle
07-03-2010, 10:14 AM
We have a forlorn little yearling cub that wants to keep hanging around the place. There is nothing for him/her to get into except maybe the fruit trees but it I guess it just hasn't quite figured out how to be a wild bear yet. I don't really mind it being around but this just isn't the place for a bear.

What are my choices? I don't want it dead but I don't want it around either. COs have been called a few times for various things in the area and they just show up, shoot and leave. That's not quite the approach I'm looking for.

If I find a local trapper, can it be legally live trapped and THEN call a CO to relocate it once it's contained?

I'm not looking for a flame war just some guidance on what's legal.

BlacktailStalker
07-03-2010, 10:15 AM
It is illegal to trap black bear.
If he hasnt figured it out by now he likely won't... You have kids ? If he gets hungry enough... I'd let the CO deal with it.
Besides, its illegal to shoot a bear under 2 years old.

sako7mm
07-03-2010, 12:03 PM
call the RAPP line, if its a cub of the year it'll go to rehab. They're the experts in dealing with this stuff anyways.

bad arrow
07-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Have you tried scaring it away? at this time of year a good scaring might do it.

Slinky Pickle
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Have you tried scaring it away? at this time of year a good scaring might do it.

I've put the run on him twice now but I'm not sure he's getting the hint.

I'll just have to stay on his heels each time I guess.

Ozone
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
The term rotisserie comes to mind.

Slinky Pickle
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
The term rotisserie comes to mind.

If he was rug making material I might consider it but so far he won't even make a good sized bath mat :???:

07-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Is it legal to shoot it in the ass with a rubber slug or bullet from a shotgun? Can you even buy them?

sako7mm
07-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Compareing it to a dog, how big is it?

Slinky Pickle
07-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Compareing it to a dog, how big is it?

About collie or lab size. A runty last years cub I figure. Mom has given him the boot or has met her demise. He's certainly not from this year.

Spokerider
07-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I know of someone who shoots garden foraging deer with a paintball gun.
Might work for the cub too?