PDA

View Full Version : maps

dougster
07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
is there a map you can get that shows what land is crown and which is private property? I know about the back roads map and thats great for knowing the roads, but how do you know if your on private property or not, not all of it is fenced.

willyqbc
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Can't recall where to get them, but i believe it's the government office. What you need are called "deed maps", you will need to tell them specifically what area you are looking at, and you will have to pay for them.

Chris

6.5x55
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
if you have a specific area that you have in mind go to the regional district or municipal hall and give them the road name . Talk nice to the mapping technicians and they are generally very helpful.

dana
07-02-2010, 09:38 PM
You should be able to find a online mapping program that has lot lines and lot numbers on the maps. A lot of the province was surveyed for lots, but that don't mean they are actually private. If a owner didn't pay his land taxes, it then was turned back to crown. But it still shows up on the mapping bases as private lot lines. To find out if it is private or owned by Crown you need to do a landtitle search on that lot number. That costs some money, but IIRC not a lot.

Mountain Hunter
07-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Here's a link for everyone to start looking and exploring:

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?site=olc

It can be confusing, but if you are a little computer and mapping literate, and patient, you can figure out how to "zoom in" and "check" the "layer" you are looking for, and you can usually "identify" if it is "private" or "crown".

As dana said, you still have to do your homework to figure out if lots are currently private or crown?

hope this helps....

Mountain Hunter
07-03-2010, 12:57 AM
ps - the land ownership designation is under:

ICIS Layers - By Ownership

pg83
07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Here's a link for everyone to start looking and exploring:

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?site=olc

It can be confusing, but if you are a little computer and mapping literate, and patient, you can figure out how to "zoom in" and "check" the "layer" you are looking for, and you can usually "identify" if it is "private" or "crown".

As dana said, you still have to do your homework to figure out if lots are currently private or crown?

hope this helps....

Thanks for posting the link Mountain Hunter. I've been using these maps for a bit now combined with the Google Earth ones. You can never get exactly the same scale on things, but you can get a very good understanding of the place you are looking at. Like you mentioned, the Gov't map can be a little difficult to get into initially, but once you have used it a few times it is quite informative.

IronNoggin
07-03-2010, 11:04 AM
if you have a specific area that you have in mind go to the regional district or municipal hall and give them the road name .

Here on The Rock pretty well all of the land has been mapped by the various Regional Districts. For instance, Alberni-Clayoquot produces a "House Number, ALR and Zoning Base Maps", a series of large maps in a large booklet type of format. Need to ensure you get the latest version of course, which costs a little but can save a lot of grief. I use mine constantly when out and about locally. Suspect each RD will likely have something similar...

Cheers,
Nog

Gun Dog
07-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks for posting the link Mountain Hunter. I've been using these maps for a bit now combined with the Google Earth ones. You can never get exactly the same scale on things, but you can get a very good understanding of the place you are looking at. Like you mentioned, the Gov't map can be a little difficult to get into initially, but once you have used it a few times it is quite informative.If you go to Web Map Services (http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html) there a link to overlay the data in Google Earth. (If you notice the copyright notice while flying around in GE, BC and some municipalities are providing the images now too.)