PDA

View Full Version : Antlerless/spike elk Kootanys

300H&H
07-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Im looking to do a bow (sept 01-10) or rifle hunt for antlerless/spike elk (Sept 10-19) in the new Kootany elk season.

Because I live in Kelowna I don't get east much so if you can offer up some help to guide/show/tell me the area. I would appreciate it. I bet some good Okanagan wine would be coming your way if im sucessful.

My elk hunting experience is very limited. I can't call worth a hill of beans.
I've got a "hochie mama" and it sounds good but im not a elk soooo....I don't know if it sounds good to a bull.

Can anyone help ?

Ron.C
07-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Last year I picked up one of the baby hoochie mama's. It seemed to work very well and really good with the cows. And practice with the pallet plate calls. It's great being able to call hands free when the situation requires you to.

TheDuckinator
07-02-2010, 06:05 PM
The hoochie works great, supposedly if you use multiples its much better.

300H&H
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys. I was going to get the small hochie. I also heard it works great on cows.
I am still looking for help with a area to go.

hunter1947
07-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks guys. I was going to get the small hochie. I also heard it works great on cows.
I am still looking for help with a area to go.

What area are you thinking about ???.

Jehiah
07-03-2010, 05:05 AM
I dont know what MU you are thinking about trying but I know there are a lot of "problem" cow/calf/bull elk that wander in and out of the fields around cranbrook and the like.
You probably will not get much more specific than this so google earth the area and try to find a spot you feel an elk would want to bed in (hillsides with cover) above talked about fields. If you can get permission to access the hillsides via the fields/hunt the fields(not too difficult from what I hear) youre probably doing pretty good for yourself.
I hunted that time of year last season (skunked) but what action I did see was nearby watering holes - it was 30+ degrees all day every day.
Good luck.
Im from Victoria - we love wine! jk

300H&H
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys...keep it coming. And thanks for the PMs.

Wayne...I was thinking around your house. It seems you have a elk tied up just waiting for opening day. :wink:
But with the changes to the elk season in Reg 4 I was thinking there. Because I live in Kelowna its a bit of a trip so any help is appreciated. I would be so happy with a cow or bull. Im not picky for my first elk.

Jehiah...I too heard it was warm and the elk went for cover as soon as the sun was up. Do you think I should contact the COs ? maybe they could help with a good area or hooking me up with a farmer that is having elk problems.

I bow hunt & rifle so either season.

BimmerBob
07-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Can anyone help ?

I can help you buddy! Just send me some steaks and roasts when you are done,:tongue: I will eat them for you! :wink:

J_T
07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Any chance you can do a reconnaissance trip over in mid August. I can give you a day of my time to drive you around and show you some access and areas. Depends what you want to do and what you hope to achieve.

300H&H
07-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Any chance you can do a reconnaissance trip over in mid August. I can give you a day of my time to drive you around and show you some access and areas. Depends what you want to do and what you hope to achieve.

Yup Yup Yup !!!

I can make a day for this kind of help.
Let me know when/where.
All I want is a chance at a elk.
Gun or bow.

Thanks

J_T
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Yup Yup Yup !!!

I can make a day for this kind of help.
Let me know when/where.
All I want is a chance at a elk.
Gun or bow.

Thanks What kind of hunt are you looking for? Sept 1 - 9 bowhunt, for bulls in the backcountry or any elk in the Ag zone? Sept 10 --> and beyond GOS? Hiking? Road? Quad?

sawmill
07-08-2010, 04:43 PM
If JT is tyed up I can show you a few places around Kimberley for the GOS..Lots of Whities too.Just don`t shoot a collared cow,those are mine.I plan to sell the collar back to the Goverment to cover costs.:mrgreen:

J_T
07-08-2010, 04:46 PM
If JT is tyed up I can show you a few places around Kimberley for the GOS..Lots of Whities too.Just don`t shoot a collared cow,those are mine.I plan to sell the collar back to the Goverment to cover costs.:mrgreen: Had a youth hunter take one of those with his bow. He thought he was in real trouble when he saw the collar.

300H&H
07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
What kind of hunt are you looking for? Sept 1 - 9 bowhunt, for bulls in the backcountry or any elk in the Ag zone? Sept 10 --> and beyond GOS? Hiking? Road? Quad?

I can be very flexable with my dates. So early bow if I can get close would be great. My desire is ther to do a back country hunt but my knees will let me down. So I cant walk up and down mountains all day. As I said I would be happy with "any" elk. I t would be my first. I can hike/quad/ or road hunt but I do like walking/still hunting best.
Tha AG zone sounds interesting but I don't know where to start.

300H&H
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
If JT is tyed up I can show you a few places around Kimberley for the GOS..Lots of Whities too.Just don`t shoot a collared cow,those are mine.I plan to sell the collar back to the Goverment to cover costs.:mrgreen:

Ive never hunted Kimberly but would like to.
If I shoot a collered cow I will give you the coller. :wink:
Let me know.