PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing....

CanuckShooter
07-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I saw the strangest thing the other day, wish I'd had the camera with me so I could show you a picture. East of Prince George there is a spot where the moose like to lick minerals in the ditch..in one spot they [assuming highways?] put big rocks all through the lick.

BUT, what really got my attention was the other one with the six or seven foot high fence all around it...maybe 20x40ft...is this some new crazy study or what..anyone else notice it???

northof49
07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
I saw the strangest thing the other day, wish I'd had the camera with me so I could show you a picture. East of Prince George there is a spot where the moose like to lick minerals in the ditch..in one spot they [assuming highways?] put big rocks all through the lick.

BUT, what really got my attention was the other one with the six or seven foot high fence all around it...maybe 20x40ft...is this some new crazy study or what..anyone else notice it???
Likely trying to stop the moose coming into them so they don't hang by the hi-way. Too many people piling into them in the dark and gettin killed.

308Lover
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds true. They've done the same in Jasper.

MB_Boy
07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
It's a land claim.

BCrams
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Its not as strange as one might think. Northof49 nailed it.

Its an experimental study to determine if, by putting deterent measures (i.e., rocks, fence) to block access to the mineral licks along the highway will disperse the moose and discourage them from hanging around. The areas were chosen based on data of high moose collision areas.

I did habitat assessments on those licks and a number of others and likely will be partaking in more work on mineral licks in the near future with the professor who has a vested interest in moose (wildlife) collisions along highways associated with lick activity.

If it keeps 4 moose or a 12 moose from regularly visiting the licks along the highways, thats 4 to a dozen less moose putting drivers and the moose themselves at risk of being hit.

They have done this back east with success and the idea is it will deter moose from utilizing those licks.

However, areas like that along the highway also hold an abundance of moose during the winter and is part of a travel corridor so we'll see what happens there.

jessbennett
07-02-2010, 07:23 PM
It's a land claim.

:mrgreen:..............:mrgreen:

BimmerBob
07-02-2010, 07:32 PM
It's a land claim.

Is it called "XCROSSX XCROSSX"?

jessbennett
07-02-2010, 07:39 PM

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:mrgreen:

CanuckShooter
07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
It's a land claim.

:mrgreen:..............:mrgreen:

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:mrgreen:

Trolls.......:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-02-2010, 08:29 PM
jess hay jess remember? Or have you forgot to remember? lol a d d or subtract?

jessbennett
07-02-2010, 08:35 PM
jess hay jess remember? Or have you forgot to remember? lol a d d or subtract?

what the hell are you talking about???? troll.........