PDA

View Full Version : moose finding?

Trevorg
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
dont worry people im not looking for honey holes or anything, more like types of areas. What kind of areas do people look for when hunting moose? Ive come across quite a few bulls and cows but i actually plan on trying to find an immature this year and since ive never even come across one i was just wondering about some hints. Does calling actualy work?

blackwater moose
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
calling works very well.you also have to be patient

Trevorg
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
ive been told calling only brings in dominant bulls, will it bring in immys too?

srupp
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
depends on the time of year..here..august sept..look for rivers and lakes..cooler...

sept oct they are constantly moving looking for love..

yes immys will respond to a moose call

Nov will find the moose thinking of food...willow swamps areas of less snow..wind swept areas with thick treed areas to get out of the elements..

srrr

CanuckShooter
07-01-2010, 06:07 PM
dont worry people im not looking for honey holes or anything, more like types of areas. What kind of areas do people look for when hunting moose? Ive come across quite a few bulls and cows but i actually plan on trying to find an immature this year and since ive never even come across one i was just wondering about some hints. Does calling actualy work?

Look for tracks...if there are no tracks to be found, chances are that not too many moose are around....they like willows and water....and shaded thick timber...when they are rutting calling will bring them within spitting distance!!!

abbyfireguy
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Immys will come into a call . Call several in every year. Now this year I will have to count the points exactly(No LEH!).
I'm tempted to head back up north for a GOS and brave the crowds.
Haven't done that for a few years.

I have used the burning stix as well with mixed results.
Ended up one morning with 4 cows in the clearing,but no bulls.

Trevorg
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
burning stix?

Caveman
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
The post rut opening will challenge the Spikefork hunter even more IMO. Early they tend to hang out in batchleor groups or with the cows. Post rut they may hang around for stragglers still in heat, but more likely have been pushed off by the dominate bulls. Less responsive to calling after the rut, but with a little snow you may be able to track what appears to be a small cow or bull.

22savage
07-01-2010, 09:13 PM
burning stix?

scent stix cow in heat bull in rut ect insense

moosinaround
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
They like to hang around the cows after the rut in my experience. If it looks like a calf or a couple calfs with a cow look VERY CLOSELY at them. My uncle and his friend shot twin spike forks last year on the last day of the season. My only spike fork was shot after the rut on Oct 27 so watch closely late!! Moosin

jml11
07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
They like to hang around the cows after the rut in my experience. If it looks like a calf or a couple calfs with a cow look VERY CLOSELY at them. My uncle and his friend shot twin spike forks last year on the last day of the season. My only spike fork was shot after the rut on Oct 27 so watch closely late!! Moosin

Opening day of calf season last year I saw 4 moose from a distance and it looked like 2 cows and 2 calves at first...moved in close to find out it was 2 cows and 2 immature bulls, one being a perfect 2x2 :-D.

CanuckShooter
07-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Immys will come into a call . Call several in every year. Now this year I will have to count the points exactly(No LEH!).
I'm tempted to head back up north for a GOS and brave the crowds.
Haven't done that for a few years.

I have used the burning stix as well with mixed results.
Ended up one morning with 4 cows in the clearing,but no bulls.

We were testing out the ones made for elk, third week of sept 7-21,,,bull moose kept coming in to them.....

buk1830
07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
calling for immatures is not the best ways as it brings in matures most of the time.
I have came across a few and they were always as far away from any other mature bulls as possible but I feel you just have to get out and beat the bush.

just my 2 cents....