PDA

View Full Version : duck hunting

dougster
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
i heard from a friend that you can only shoot ducks while in flight. is this true that you cant get them while they are on the water

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
So sitting ducks aren't sitting ducks?

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
so noone actually knows the answer then eh?

Alex
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
You are allowed to shoot sitting ducks in BC

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
does it have to be with a shotty or can you get em with a 22?

Trevorg
06-30-2010, 08:25 PM
no 22, you cant fire lead into water.

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Solid projectiles are permitted, but then you're only shooting the still guys. No pretending you've got a Fliegerabwehrkanone defending der vaterland against the B-17 Canada Goose. Know where your shot stops.

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
no 22, you cant fire lead into water.

Who said anything about water? I shoot all my waterfowl on my cornfield with my .22

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
yeah i wanted to know if i could use the 22 to hunt the sitters either on shore or close to it from a distance

elkdom
06-30-2010, 08:28 PM
does it have to be with a shotty or can you get em with a 22?
BC Hunting Regs,,:confused: No single projectiles for migratory birds :?

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
that sucks

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry about my bad hunting habits. It's not hunting really, just crop defence. The geese swoop in and go along the corn rows and pick out all the fresh shoots. The fact that we dispose of the geese in an edible way just happens to be a footnote.

06-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Holy.......... ok Shot gun with steel for migratory birds. Shoot 'em flyin shoot'em landin shoot'em landed dont matter. Shotgun with a plethora of different types of shot. just not lead. What you are talking about is called puddle jumping and yes you are alloud to do it

6.5x55
06-30-2010, 08:56 PM
shooting sitting ducks tends to be a little hard on decoys

06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
shooting sitting ducks tends to be a little hard on decoys

only if you have them

06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Who said anything about water? I shoot all my waterfowl on my cornfield with my .22

Have you ever seen the regs? you have just posted that you break the law.
you have just posted that you poach

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Have you ever seen the regs? you have just posted that you break the law.
you have just posted that you poach

The landowner holds a legal permit from the City to use firearms for such purpose. It isn't poaching, the killing is legal, I just get to do it and keep the bodies. Protection of crops is legal, that's how ranchers shoot predators any time of year, and whereas I am an agent of the owner and the RCMP have come by and given their ok with it, I think it's all good.

heyblast
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Under the revised migratory bird act, shooting waterfowl while sitting is legal, originally it was a gray area. I don't agree, only shooting on the wing, but that's my decision. Shooting waterfowl with a single projectile is POOCHING and is federal law not provinical and anyone doing so should have their ass nailed to the wall.

06-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Under the revised migratory bird act, shooting waterfowl while sitting is legal, originally it was a gray area. I don't agree, only shooting on the wing, but that's my decision. Shooting waterfowl with a single projectile is POOCHING and is federal law not provinical and anyone doing so should have their ass nailed to the wall.

Reason being is with the wings down shot doesnt penetrate the same. When they are flying in to your set they are leg down wing out and you hit them in the breast. Pass shooting is the same, sort of.

Keep shots to 35- yds or so. This is up for debate, but i feel myself pass shootin at under 40 yds im ok.

Pattern your gun and have fun

bandit
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Well then the law sucks, if its about crop protection then you need to be able to hunt efficiently ie shoot stuff at greater than 50 yards and the only way to do that is with a single projectile.
Fair point for SPORT hunting though, firing at 200 yards ducks is a bit lame for sport purposes.

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Well then the law sucks, if its about crop protection then you need to be able to hunt efficiently ie shoot stuff at greater than 50 yards and the only way to do that is with a single projectile.
Fair point for SPORT hunting though, firing at 200 yards ducks is a bit lame for sport purposes.

Tell that to the yuppies on their fancy bicycles. The 22 shots they complain about aren't anything compared to a shotgun, and manure tracks on the road are inevitable when I have to drive from one field to another. I was actually asked once to hose down my tractor before taking it on the road. I told him I didn't have the time; he said that I should do it anyway. I have to stick up for my rights somewhere.

MichelD
06-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Do I hear banjos?

northof49
06-30-2010, 10:56 PM
yeah i wanted to know if i could use the 22 to hunt the sitters either on shore or close to it from a distance
Try skippin a stone on the water...now picture your bullet when you miss and it piles some kid fishing on the other side. No single projectiles permitted for migratory for a reason. To each his own, just make sure you post where you're going hunting so I can be sure to go the opposite direction.

kastles
06-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Shooting sitting duck is legal though some call it "unsportsman-like." I call it topping off a bag limit at the end of a day. I enjoy the sport and skill it takes to knock 'em out of the air consistently but at the end of the day it's all meat whether it is out of the air or sluicing(word for shooting ducks on water.)

kastles

Gunner Staal
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Want a challenge???? Try shooting old squaws or Eider of the coast of Nova Scotia. Those guys WILL NOT fly even if you try to jump them....thats because they can duck your shot. Its amazing. They dive quickly enough to get out of the way. Seen it with my own eyes. If your outside 40 dont even try. I think its unsportsmanlike to shoot them on the water. Just stand up and givem a YEEEEHAAAWWW then pile em up once they jump. Its a challenging shot and alot of fun.