PDA

View Full Version : SeaGulls - A question for you in the know

rocksteady
06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Why do we not have Gulls in the East Kootenays???

They have them in Williams Lake, the Okanagan, Calgary, other areas with large bodies of water...Why not Lake Kookanusa?? Don't remember ever seeing any in the West Kootenays either (Arrow Lakes)....

Any biologists on here that can enlighten me????

:confused::confused:

valleycowboy
06-30-2010, 07:26 PM
lol,gulls are garbage feeders,lol
kootneys are way to nice for gulls,lol

.330 Dakota
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
My biological opinion is there must not be any McDonald's in the Kootney's

sawmill
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I think they`re scared of all the friggen crows here.
Hey Mike,how was the fire fighting trip?Were you on that one up Vanderhoof way?

rocksteady
06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
I think they`re scared of all the friggen crows here.
Hey Mike,how was the fire fighting trip?Were you on that one up Vanderhoof way?

Was so...Got to actually meet and shake the hand of the HBC icon......Todbartell.....

Also met Big7, another Hooterite, on the fireline.....He recognized me from some of my hunting pics....Imagine that....

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Your famous Rock a celebrity .. people know you

hutch
06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
when i lived in cranbrook in 85-87 i remember seeing gulls at the dump and thinking that it was strange they were there so far from the coast

Moose Guide
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
we've got them at Kaslo

Fisher-Dude
06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
The Kootenay hillbillies stink too much - something about the "yearly bath" thing that turns the gulls off. They prefer to sit in the Okanagan's landfills in the August heat instead. :wink:

northof49
06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Why do we not have Gulls in the East Kootenays???

They have them in Williams Lake, the Okanagan, Calgary, other areas with large bodies of water...Why not Lake Kookanusa?? Don't remember ever seeing any in the West Kootenays either (Arrow Lakes)....

Any biologists on here that can enlighten me????

:confused::confused:
I'm no biologist but had pondered this myself several years back. My conclusion was that they follow the salmon inland feeding on carcasses. Used to see them in the late summer high up the Nechako sytsem then they would disappear agian by the fall. Correct me if wrong, but to my knowledge there are no salmon rivers in the east kootenays so seagulls don't follow them over there.

IslandHunterBXL
06-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm no biologist but had pondered this myself several years back. My conclusion was that they follow the salmon inland feeding on carcasses. Used to see them in the late summer high up the Nechako sytsem then they would disappear agian by the fall. Correct me if wrong, but to my knowledge there are no salmon rivers in the east kootenays so seagulls don't follow them over there.

wouldnt they feed on spawning kokanee??

Buckmeister
06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I just want to say that it wouldn't bother me one bit if I never saw another Seagull again. A bit of an ugly bird, not much of a song bird, and must have some pigeon blood in them cause they crap on everything.

kastles
06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey don't complain. You can have all the danm gulls you want. Siht-hawks are almost as bad as crows

hunter1947
07-01-2010, 04:17 AM
Could it be lots of ravens around this part of the country..

Spitzer
07-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I've seen seagulls at lake koocanusa and the west kootenays.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Funny....when we first moved to the OK from Golden at the tender age of 5, I noticed the same thing. I figured the ocean had to be close-by:rolleyes:.

SSS

northof49
07-01-2010, 11:01 AM
wouldnt they feed on spawning kokanee??
Sure they would. They are scavengers and feed on most easy meals as long as soft or easy to swollow whole. Just I believe they tend to follow the path of least resistance starting at the ocean. Then head back down in the fall. I'm sure the odd ones get blown of coarse a bit so there will always be exceptions.

ufishifish2
07-01-2010, 11:27 PM
There are dozens of different species of gulls.

I agree. The ones I have observed in the Okanagan look nothing like the ones seen at sea........you see?

Darksith
07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Gulls migrate inland in the spring b/c of the plentiful food provided by fish fry, insects, and other small animals...lots of babies of everything in the spring.