PDA

View Full Version : gutless = no striploins?

pete_k
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm investigating gutless field dressing and got to thinking.
One would have to leave behind the striploins, no?
That's the best meat.

Does anyone here field dress gutless and still manage to take out the striploins? How?

Moose72
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Nope! Easy to get at.

Wild Images
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Only takes a minuite to get them when the rest is all cleaned up

Kody94
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm investigating gutless field dressing and got to thinking.
One would have to leave behind the striploins, no?
That's the best meat.

Does anyone here field dress gutless and still manage to take out the striploins? How?

You just cut a slit in the sides and retrieve them through that. Easy peasy japanesey.

Gateholio
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Striploins are on the top. Hunters usually call them "back straps"

You are talking about tenderloins,and they are easy to get. Last piece of meat you take out. Just make a couple of cuts into the abdomen form the rear.

Pioneerman
06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I remember downloading an instructional video one of a member here made showing the process,, but it is too big to email, around 60MB. Do a search for it it is good to watch

pete_k
06-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys.
I'm watching a vid on elk101.com
Yes..And it's the tenderloins. Now I know the terminology a bit better too. :)

On threat of hijacking my own thread.
I know about leaving evidence of sex on one quarter, but do I have to leave a patch of hair on all quarters? I'd prefer not to.
I may practice this method on my whitetail or muley first before I move on to moose or elk.

pescado
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
It's the way to fly. Easier in all ways. Small knife and some game bags. Remember the evidence of sex & mark that ham so it's easy to find if you get stopped and you have several animals.

abbyfireguy
06-30-2010, 03:45 PM
What, no gutting or getting covered in blood and gore.
Now thats just not right.
Now I'll have no excuse to get naked in sub-zero weather and enjoy a brisk scrub down by the campfire!! Sheesh I'd miss that,NOT!!
I'll have to investigate this more,sounds interesting.
Sounds way to clean to me though!:)

Moose Guide
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
you can remove the tenderloins without openning the guts, just remove them from the top along the spine, if you do it right there is a thin membrane between the tenderloins and the guts!!!

BC30cal
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
On threat of hijacking my own thread.
I know about leaving evidence of sex on one quarter, but do I have to leave a patch of hair on all quarters? I'd prefer not to.
I may practice this method on my whitetail or muley first before I move on to moose or elk.

pete_k;
For awhile in the late '80's and early '90's we were averaging 2 deer a year that came out on our back. In the late '90's and into this century (I feel old typing that!) I did a fair bit of horse hunting and would process the carcass the same way as if it was coming out on my back.

The "gutless method" attracted way less yellow jackets when processing an animal, which was a very big help horse packing, as my mare apparently likes them less than I do.

So our solution to the "proof of sex and X # sq. cm. of hide" was as follows.

We take along a plastic grocery bag or three in our pack. Then instead of removing the sack and contents on a buck, we bag it in the plastic grocery bag and use the holes in the bag as ties and tie it up at the top. We'd then skin the rest of the hide off around the tied up "double bag".

As a by the way, unless we have to walk out for days, we've found it easier to leave the leg bones in and bone the remainder on deer and sheep. It allows us to keep the weight where we wanted it on our back when the bone was left in.

On a bigger than average mule deer the bones averaged out to about 7lbs per leg if memory serves correctly.

One downside of removing meat from the bone when it is still warm is that in our experience it does make it slightly tougher, so the butterflied chops taken off a fresh deer will be slightly tougher than if the meat is removed after rigor leaves the carcass.

Hopefully that was some use to you, good luck with your "gutless method".

Regards,
Dwayne

BlacktailStalker
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I havent gutted an animal in years... as everybody else has said...

Bighorn hunter
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Just go in behind the last rib,, piece of cake:)

boxhitch
06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Leave a testicle on each hind quarter, and a patch of hair on all four legs.
If taking the ribs leave the patch on also.
It is a pane to do without getting hair all over but can be done. Cut up from the hide side toward the hair instead of down through the hair.

If you are worried about some hair slipping after and messing things, cover the patch with duct tape to hold it all together. Inspection can still be done.

Understanding the reason the regs are in place generally will answer how to go about it.

bforce750
06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
You might as well gut the thing and pack it out
in quarters,its just as much work,and you do get to save a little more meat.Try it and see for yourselves,it takes just as much time and it only weighs a little more big deal...aaannnnd im done cheers

hunter1947
07-01-2010, 04:24 AM
I will always clean my animal I shoot.

Reason being is if you have to open up the inwards latter to get the back straps ,liver ,hart it is almost as easy to gut the animal after you shoot it.

willyqbc
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
video of how we do it

http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/feilddressing/feilddressing.html

Chris

Bear Chaser
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
We've used the gutless method virtually every time since it's been shown to me. Easy to get the tenderloins out with a couple small cuts and "feeling" them out with the fingers of one hand while holding the entrails back with the other. I guess it helps to have the animal's stomach facing downhill so that gravity works with you.

Jelvis
04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Gutless method is an excuse to leave the ribs, neck and spine so it's easier to carry out.
JP .. shouldn't be allowed .. imho .. should take all of it out .. Go hard
Or go home ...

Barracuda
04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
i was gonna try it this year for bear. always been up to my elbows before so it will be a nice change but i will still perform a bit of a necropsy just to see all the interesting bits

Gateholio
04-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Gutless method is an excuse to leave the ribs, neck and spine so it's easier to carry out.
JP .. shouldn't be allowed .. imho .. should take all of it out ..

You can easily cut out the rib meat and neck meat. I don't know why you would want to retain the spine as it's just bone.

Ride Red
04-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Well, in the last 35 years we've just gutted them out and hung'em in a tree close to camp.( then strip the hide of course while its hanging) When were ready to leave, we quarter it and put it in the truck. Pretty simple and doesn't waste any meat. I can gut a moose, elk or deer in 15 minutes with the aid of a leg holder. Practice makes perfect !!!!

Jelvis
04-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Your right, you can debone the k-neck and slice the meat from a good sized animule's ribs but then you'd see the guts anyways if yah did lol.
A moose has lots of meat on the ribs but a deers ribs not so much.
J.p. Spine ..

BiG Boar
04-10-2011, 08:15 PM
mmmmm spinal cord....

I don't really understand why people gut small animals. Unless you eat the organ meat.

Sitkaspruce
04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I will always clean my animal I shoot.

Reason being is if you have to open up the inwards latter to get the back straps ,liver ,hart it is almost as easy to gut the animal after you shoot it.

Wayne, it even easier to get at those when doing the gutless method, before you remove the last tenderloin, just take a small axe (I use the 3 lbs estwing) and cut the rib bones off the spine and pull away. There is all your organs just sitting there like and autopsy, then you can cut and remove what you want without all the mess, plus remove the last tenderloin.

JP .. shouldn't be allowed .. imho .. should take all of it out .. Go hard
Or go home ...

Jelly, I once had a couple of clients who did not believe in the gutless method, thought it was wasting lots of meat. They sat down next to the moose and for about an hour picked and cut away until the got an extra 7 lbs of "Trim".......

Cheers

SS