PDA

View Full Version : Natives - Firearms License?

Grizzly Squirrel
06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I know that they don't need a hunting license to hunt on their own land, but do they require a firearms license to own and operate a firearm? Also, are they allowed to harvest animals out of season on their own land? A Native friend of mine wants to shoot pheasants on his land, out of season, without a hunting license and without a firearms license. He lives in a pretty remote area and would likely never be caught, but I'd hate to see him get into trouble.

ryanb
06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes they do. The government ran subsidized firearms safety courses on reserves for quite a while when they came out with the licensing and issued free licenses to those that completed the training.

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Can't your friend read? lol.

pappy
06-30-2010, 12:19 PM
even cops and military peoples need a gun license.

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Let em find out the hard way, sometimes that's the only way, cuz most people don't listen to others and they don't read or look things up for themselves.
jel .. the hard way or no way at all ..

CanuckShooter
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I know that they don't need a hunting license to hunt on their own land, but do they require a firearms license to own and operate a firearm? Also, are they allowed to harvest animals out of season on their own land? A Native friend of mine wants to shoot pheasants on his land, out of season, without a hunting license and without a firearms license. He lives in a pretty remote area and would likely never be caught, but I'd hate to see him get into trouble.

That depends on what kind of Native he is, and where he plans on hunting?? Is he a Status Indian, or a treaty indian, or a C-31 or maybe a Non-Status, could be a Metis..or Inuit??? Is his land on reserve, in his traditional territory, in Bc or Alta or Ontario....this is a complicated question to answer with such vague information and your most likely going to get all sorts of silly answers from some people that KNOW how it works.

Slinky Pickle
06-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Not true. I carried a side arm for years and didn't require anything other than passing an annual federal firearms qualification.

ultramafic
06-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes and No... I believe cops and military do not need the licencing for their their issued firearms but for anything they wish to own personally yes they do need the same licencing as the rest of us.

mike

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Most wouldn't believe the truth anyways and not only that some CO's don't know the laws themselves, or the cops pertaining to government reg's in total.
Jel so how would the average Joe Citizen know?

Slinky Pickle
06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes and No... I believe cops and military do not need the licencing for their their issued firearms but for anything they wish to own personally yes they do need the same licencing as the rest of us.

mike
Now that I agree with.

cavebear
06-30-2010, 02:17 PM

unless the rules have changed, an rcmp officer did not need a pal or pol in 2003

Steeleco
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
They still don't.

Read this taken from the RCMP web site. More Bull.

Aboriginal Peoples of Canada Adaptations Regulations (Firearms)

Fact Sheet

Under the Firearms Act and regulations, all firearms owners and users need a firearms licence and all firearms must be registered. While the Firearms Act and its regulations apply to everyone, some sections of the Act and of the Firearms Licences Regulations have been adapted for Canada’s Aboriginal peoples who meet all three of the following criteria:
They must be a member of one of the Aboriginal Peoples of Canada (Indian, Inuit, Métis or a beneficiary under a land claims agreement referred to in section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982), and
They must be a member of an Aboriginal community, and
They must engage in the traditional hunting practices of their community.These adaptations reflect Canada’s desire to ensure that the application of the firearms law respects the traditional lifestyles of the Aboriginal peoples of Canada.
The following summarizes the Aboriginal Peoples of Canada Adaptations Regulations (Firearms). For a full understanding, the regulations should be read together with the Firearms Licences Regulations (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/?eng=http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/F-11.6/SOR-98-199/index.html). Information is also provided on other regulations that apply to anyone who stores or transports firearms in a remote wilderness area (an area compatible with hunting).

MichelD
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
A buddy who is a PAL instructor gets flown into remote reserves on the coast to run PAL courses.

300H&H
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Did anyone hear on the news, Chife Louie talk about the HST ?

His comment was...we are our own goverment and we don't pay taxes.

This sentement was last heard in Oka Quebec. Do you remember the stand off ?

The indians said "we are not Canadians".

Sounds just like what Louie was saying.

So if they are not Canadians they dont need licences. BUT...

-why are we transfering 1 billion $$$ annually to "them"
-why dont they have their own passport
-why are they allowed to hunt on Canadian land

Just my rant.

bandit
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
"They must engage in the traditional hunting practices of their community."

Im not sure on the exact definition of "traditional" but I struggle to see how it can involve the modern invention known as a rifle!

Flaming Arrow
06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
You are asking the wrong poeple to answer this question.
I'll leave it at that.

Flaming Arrow

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
It's not about the right answer flame it's about the discussion around it, and how it makes people think, it's a never ending story with no final answer to end it all, it's an ongoing emotional mystery movie or novel lol.
Jelly belly ..

daywalker
07-01-2010, 01:55 AM
There are some truths in everything said. I have worked in manitoba and know alberta as a seasonal conservation officer 8 months of the year and done all my training in B.C. Here is what I know and we did. In all provinces a trial will go to court when one of us get the balls to take it there because the guys sitting in the big city's get pissed off. Anyway the law is pretty clear on what you can and can't do. So it gets taken to court if it is a first then it is long drawn out. If not even if the law states you can not do something the judge goes off other judges rulings called case law and that is were first nations get there rights. Now in B.C. they can hunt for food anytime they want without a licence but they have to have a treaty card showing what band they belong to and they can only use there traditional rights on there own bands traditional land. The hunting at night thing has set huge presedents in all provinces the case that broke that open was here in B.C. and that set the flood gates open across Canada. However most Conservation Officers know are starting to charge first nations not with pit lamping but under the criminal code for dangerous use of a firearm. I could sit here and right pages on this but it is so complicated and each situation is different it would take forever I either made some sense or made things worse lol

boxhitch
07-01-2010, 07:25 AM
In all provinces a trial will go to court when one of us get the balls to take it there expensive, with not much chance of retribution ?

even if the law states you can not do something the judge goes off other judges rulings called case law and that is were first nations get there rights.and the judges aren't accountable to anyone

Steeleco
07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
and the judges aren't accountable to anyone

Maybe they should be. They need to be voted in or OUT based on their track record.

Devilbear
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
NO repeat NO aboriginal should be allowed to own or possess ANY firearm at ANY time. Firearms are a tradition of people like me and I choose NOT to share this with aboriginals.

ALL firearms now held by aboriginals should be confiscated ny the Canadian Armed Forces and any "hunting" they do can be by their "traditional" Neolithic methods ONLY.

Resistance to this should be dealt with by military force, I favour heli-gunships with "Vulcans".

slowkey
07-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Maybe they should be. They need to be voted in or OUT based on their track record.

nope then we'd get flavor of the month law. Not a good thing

Gateholio
07-01-2010, 10:32 AM
This thread just got real stupid...

I'm thinking I should just lock any native threads right from the start. :roll: