PDA

View Full Version : lac de bois cut blocks

dougster
06-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I have been bombing around the lac de bois area, going up the old logging roads and hiking into the cut blocks I found on google earth... how is the area for hunting? anyone have any experiance? I dont want to invest a whole bunch of time in an area that wont produce

Jelvis
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Cutblocks at LacduBois ah, are they new ones lately? Or older ones dougster?
LacDubois is a good area for animals for sure .. whites and mule
Where did you go by LacDubois before or after?

Caveman
06-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Good for deer. There are a few moose up there but it's not where I would go. How far back are we talking?

Jelvis
06-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I ain't seen no new cutblocks at LacDubois but maybe way up up farther, are you new to the area doug?

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:20 AM
im not new to the area, but i am new to hunting. the places i have been are up a ways past the McQueen lake hunting ban area. there was a nice road to the right that lead to several cut blocks but the first five or six had no shooting signs because there could be forestry workers there. but after a while it opened up. on the other side there was some cut blocks with trees that were 3 to 5 feet, so it might be a bit to heavy of cover. then i went on google earth and found a whack of cut blocks that are a fair ways off the road, they look new (last 10 years) but i still need to hike in and get a good visual

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
If you go up there in the fall it's not bad hunting, but which roads? To the right? If you buy a Thompson Okanagan Backroad Mapbook from Wal-mart for 24.95 it has all the data and names and it would make it simple to describe by name and number, otherwise it's difficult by using left and right or way up or over etc. That road your mentioning to the right could be Watching Creek fsr or McQueen Lake road but need the road map to know.
Jel ..

steveo32
06-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Head farther north, try around barriere and your sucess will be much higher. (ton of hunters in lac de bois)

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Griffen Lake area has the biggest bucks around the LacDuBois area and that's where the boundary crosses for shooting right at the one north end there is a monster deer trail there also you can't miss it.
I talked to the caretaker up there and he confirmed this .. he approved this message.
Jelly .. Griffen lake bucks like Mack trucks. Be there or be a loser.

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:08 PM
is that how you spell griffen, i tried to search it and found nothing

Caveman
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
dougster, go passed Pass Lk, take the right fork just after the cattle guard. Head up to the to of that road and check out the cuts up there. This is Watching Creek or Cut off road that Jelvis mentioned. Lots of new, mixed with older cuts. Lots of deer and some moose, as I mentioned. Plenty of area to explore in there and plenty of opportunity for success, trust me.

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:49 PM
thanks a ton, ill check it out

Caveman
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
is that how you spell griffen, i tried to search it and found nothing

Griffen lake is in the closed area around McQueen but if you take Long Lk road, Just above Batch, through the grassland east of Griffen. Hunt the draws at the tree line above Long Lk. Whitetails and Mulies in there and little pressure because most won't hike over there. :wink:

dougster
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
so do you mean isabel lake road, i see the no hunting is only 1 km off the top of mcqueen so the gps should get me there. or is it a hike around the backside of long lake

Caveman
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
so do you mean isabel lake road, i see the no hunting is only 1 km off the top of mcqueen so the gps should get me there. or is it a hike around the backside of long lake

Take the lower fork just before Isobel and you can hunt to the hieght of land with a rifle and a bow closer to Isobel. Long Lake is the road where everyone drops off their dirt bikes, etc. Take the left hand fork through the grasslands and you will parralell Long Lk, carry on and you will come to another fork in the road just in the tree line. The left fork there will take you up to the road below Isobel

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Read my lips Griffin Lake north end of go to the lake drive to far end and it's open to shoot at the very end of and you will see a monster deer trail unless your vision is p poor. G R I F F I N fishing too or just forget about it. You doubted the jelly man and you bah bah lew it, the last of the tips for you lol. Never doubt the jelly donut ...

Caveman
06-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Use google earth, search Kamloops, then narrow your search to McQueen Lake and then click to view in Google maps, the last icon on the tool bar on the right. The lakes and roads will be labeled. The road I refered to as Long lake comes up as McQueen Creek FSR. Do a little exploring there

Caveman
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Read my lips Griffin Lake north end of go to the lake drive to far end and it's open to shoot at the very end of and you will see a monster deer trail unless your vision is p poor. G R I F F I N fishing too or just forget about it. You doubted the jelly man and you bah bah lew it, the last of the tips for you lol. Never doubt the jelly donut ...

Don't want to blow a huge hole in your advise Jelvis, but if you look at map
C-10 in region 3 in the regs, Griffen lake is smake dab in the middle of the McQueen lake no shooting area 3-28. It is marked by the hieght of land as I said. Bow hunting okay then

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Yah if it's right, look on the backroads map, and you can see the border is different then that picture, The border of the closed area touches the eastside of Griffin lake. But hey, you can use a bow if you want.
Or don't shoot til you walk in a k. either way the caretaker told me that this is where the biggest bucks he has seen in the whole area he watches over.
jel .. No signs up there so it's up to you and the co to interpret ..

Caveman
06-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Yah if it's right, look on the backroads map, and you can see the border is different then that picture, The border of the closed area touches the eastside of Griffin lake. But hey, you can use a bow if you want.
Or don't shoot til you walk in a k. either way the caretaker told me that this is where the biggest bucks he has seen in the whole area he watches over.

At the end of the day the regulations is the bible or the law of the land I don't think I would rely on the backroads book in a court of law for my defense

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm not worried about it, I stick to the regs the best I can and go hunting, can't worry about every tom dick and harry and there interpretations.
If I did I wouldn't go at all.

Caveman
06-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Jelly, the Backroads map book only shows the Lac du Bois Grasslands Provincial Park borders, not the no shooting area, I refered to. They over lap. You can hunt and shoot within the Provincial Park but you have vehicle restrictions to deal with

Jelvis
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
It is rather confusing for sure, can you imagine how many areas in BC have this problem? Not just local boundaries but road closures on those drawings. I saw many a person driving road closures and tell them, and they just say no way this is open, even a CO didn't have a clue which ones were off limits. You know why? You can't put a sign on every road and trail. I know we're supposed to know all these things but when a co doesn't know, hows joe blow going to know exactly?
So do your best to follow the reg's and drawings and that's all anyone can do.
Jelly .. Do your best to follow the reg's and drawings, and go from that.
Also it's a lot different in the bush then looking at a drawing or map on a little paper when there is no signs to show the exact spot.

Mountain Hunter
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I tried the areas you guys are talking about and saw several mule deer, mostly does, and glimpses of fleet-footed bucks, so I put a cam up along a trail. Here's a remote cam pic taken in an old cutblock along a skid trail about 3 km northwest of McQueen Lk, lot's of hunters in the area, likely why this guy was out at 1 am, but the deer are there....I never did find him.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/MIR40_033_copy.jpg

Jelvis
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
That bucks kinda cute hey lol.. only approx 16 inches wide max tho, so not the biggest buck around lol .. a young buck 2 and a half years old. You want big ones .. take note Hanging Valley lol ..
Later season after snow up high ..
Jel .. nice photo thanks .. How wide are mule deer bucks ears? Guess ..

Caveman
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
22 inches!! :mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-09-2010, 08:27 PM
18 to 22 on mature big ones but have to be good size to reach out
then measure antler height by the length from bottom of brisket to top of back .. for field judging