PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 wolves.

Gunner
06-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Once again the Region 8 Manager has failed to convince the Minister that there should be a wolf season in Region 8.In the 10 years I've lived in the Region I have seen the wolf population increase to the point where every winter I hear them and I see tracks on every mulie winter range.Last winter there was a pack of 6 within 5 miles of Lumby,and I have seen tracks within 1 1/2 miles of home.There were 3 packs working this area last winter.I know the ranchers have complained of losing calves on the summer range both on the Hunter's Range and East of Mabel Lake,but to no avail.There must be a very vocal pro wolf lobby group in Kelowna! Gunner

SHAKER
06-29-2010, 09:29 AM
It's not local........ it's Victoria not wanting a season for "political reasons", so much for our wildlife getting managed scientificly AGAIN.

Gunner
06-29-2010, 09:40 AM
It's not local........ it's Victoria not wanting a season for "political reasons", so much for our wildlife getting managed scientificly AGAIN.No doubt Shaker,I'm wondering if the increased wolf population has anything to do with the change in immie seasons in Region 8.Our moose population is way up,and I've been told by an experienced CO that"wolves can make a living on deer,but they won't increase their populations without moose".Makes sense. Gunner

Fisher-Dude
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Please report ALL sightings of wolves and/or wolf sign to brian.s.harris@gov.bc.ca . Brian keeps submitting to Victoria but gets stonewalled.

We "need" 100 wolves to get a season (there are way more than that) in region 8. Feel free to "round up" the number of tracks or wolves you see. :wink:

SHAKER
06-29-2010, 03:33 PM
No doubt Shaker,I'm wondering if the increased wolf population has anything to do with the change in immie seasons in Region 8.Our moose population is way up,and I've been told by an experienced CO that"wolves can make a living on deer,but they won't increase their populations without moose".Makes sense. Gunner

The powers that be in Penticton claim the opposite.... they figure that if lots of Immy's are getting shot then the moose population is declining so cut back LEH, cut back season length ect. They don't have money for inventory on anything apparently but they know that the bull\cow ratio is out so we need to panic. Like i've said before you could 10 deer in their parking lot and could screw the count up! I've seen more moose in the the last 3 years then ever but who wants a resident hunters opinion.

boxhitch
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Change of immi season was due to hunter overachievement , nothing to do with counts. MOE thought x number could be killed and when more turned up, they winced. Not wanting to over balance the sex ratios.
Not sure what the rationale is in wanting to achieve a particular population number of wolves. Its not like they are historical or traditional

As F-D says (I hate to agree with him :twisted:) evidence of the wolf presence has to be presented to MOE for any chance of a change.
Log haulers claim they see them all the time, but nothing gets documented or passed to MOE.
No by-catch by trappers reported either it seems.

Gunner
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Please report ALL sightings of wolves and/or wolf sign to brian.s.harris@gov.bc.ca . Brian keeps submitting to Victoria but gets stonewalled.

We "need" 100 wolves to get a season (there are way more than that) in region 8. Feel free to "round up" the number of tracks or wolves you see. :wink:Email sent.Whats with the "100 wolves"?This sounds like Penner is being advised by the Yellowstone guys,and look where that went.Sport hunting has little or no effect on wolf populations;Penner should know that. Gunner

coach
06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm quite surprised we weren't given an opening this year. I saw wolves in 8-11 during the late bow season along with tons of tracks. My friend saw one this year on the May long weekend. It was crossing the animal overpass over the Coquihalla connector. That same friend saw one in 3-12 (a kilometer from 8-11) while looking for a Christmas tree. There's no doubt, the wolf population is healthy and growing. I going to take FD's advice and record future sightings and submit that information.

David Heitsman
06-30-2010, 10:27 PM
I called the MOE in Penticton in 08 not going to mention names, and reported a wolf right in the crater on Crater Mt. on the Ashnola. They mentioned to me at the time that there had been plenty of tracks reported in the area.

phoenix
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Here's a track from right above my house in Ellison. I hear them howling once in a while. The deer sure seem to disappear when they are around.
Kim
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/elimsprint/PB030003.jpg

SHAKER
07-01-2010, 09:48 AM
[quote=boxhitch;701429]Change of immi season was due to hunter overachievement , nothing to do with counts. MOE thought x number could be killed and when more turned up, they winced. Not wanting to over balance the sex ratios.

Isn't that kind of what I said? You just put it a little easier to understand.

bad arrow
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I dont understand why they wait until there are a certain amount of wolves before they open up a season in reg 8, Wolves dont recognize the regions and they are outa control in region 3 and soon to be outa control in region 8

Phreddy
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
S. S. & S.

bad arrow
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
S. S. & S.
lol...thats what I was thinking but didn't want to say

boxhitch
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM
they figure that if lots of Immy's are getting shot then the moose population is declining so cut back LEH, cut back season length ect. Not arguing, just pointing out the fact ratios had lots to do with it.

SHAKER
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Not arguing, just pointing out the fact ratios had lots to do with it.

With out a doubt, just remember they don't have any funds to do proper counts. I think they should skip the Tim hortens coffee and donuts at all these meetings.... that should be able to pay for a couple more tanks of fuel to actually do their job! Fact is I don't know how they can make their judgments when they really don't have a clue what the #'s are.... that goes for all the poor critters here in region 8. I believe they did one arial moose count this year??? I might be wrong but I'm very sure of that.

I guess we're hijacking this thread....... Sorry Master Gunner sir!