PDA

View Full Version : grizz outside your tent

Rymar
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Im sure some of you guys have been in this situation and was wondering what you did or would do if you were sleepin in you tent in grizz territory and you wake up to the sounds of a grizz snooping around outside?
yell/shout? pack a whistle for that specific situation?

any thoughts? experiences?

Cheers Rymar...dreamin of high country

hunter1947
06-29-2010, 03:01 AM
This happened to us last year this Griz came into our camp around midnight and started screaming his head off 40 feet from my tent he was upset that he could not get this deer off of the meat pole.

I was in my own tent and I was the closes to the meat pole it sounded like he was right on top of me.

I learned a lessen that night never have your meat pole close to your camp.

Anyways I have a 12 gage defender loaded up with 7 slug rounds in it ,this shotgun is laying beside me under my sleeping cote.

I have a flashlight attached at the end of the barrel of the shot gun.

I carry a can of bear spray beside the shotgun and a big flashlight.

This bear with the noise he made scared the living hell out of me I thought he was coming into my tent I grabbed the defender and turned the light on opened up the tent yelled as loud as I could bear ,bear ,bear and fired a round off to wards the bear at about 2oc the noise stopped and he was gone.

We dealt with this deer and after about 2 hours got back to sleep he did not come back in that night.

The next day we put up a meat pole away from our camp and put the pole at about 25 feet hi.

The next day my partners left to go back home i was all by myself ,two days latter I shot a bull elk and had to get it back to my truck when all said and done I got back to my camp at around 12 midnight.

I was there all by myself blood and elk in the back of my truck and a Griz that might only be a few hundred yards from my camp ,what should I do ???.

It did not take me long to decide what to do I sleep in my truck a few of you probably remember I posted a picture on how I made it comfortable to sleep in the front of my truck for an occasion like this.

I did not sleep very good that night I figured I would feel the truck move with a Griz trying to help himself to some meat behind the window of my truck ,this did not happen that night.

The next morning I loaded up my shotgun and kept it beside me I had to deal with cleaning all the elk up and hanging it from our new meat pole all by myself this was real scary.

After about 3 hour of work I finally finished all elk was hanging up hi and I took the scraps ribs etc far up the road and not near any other camps and tossed the meat over a big bank into a revein.

That night I drove down to face my truck to wards the meat pole and yes you guessed it Mr Griz came in at 2am to try and get my elk he woke me up huffing and snorting I was sound asleep in my truck.

I turned on my truck head light and saw him trying to reach for the meat as soon as the lights came on he bolted away.

I had enough of this bear the next morning I backed my truck under the meat pole and dropped all meat down into the truck I packed up my camp on was on my way out at 12noon..

I think this was the Grizz that was being such a pest.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_545_1_1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=18058&ppuser=941)

His tracks by our camp..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/108.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16650&ppuser=941)

My Sleeping Quarters.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_0472.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14625&ppuser=941)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_0432.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14624&ppuser=941)

northof49
06-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Im sure some of you guys have been in this situation and was wondering what you did or would do if you were sleepin in you tent in grizz territory and you wake up to the sounds of a grizz snooping around outside?

I hate it when that happens. IMO, stay quiet and hope he moves on, but keep bearspray and gun on the ready in case it turns into hand to hand combat. One time I lay there for quite awhile listening to him circle the tent. Finally got pissed enuf that I charged out in my ginch and boots with gun in one hand and flashlight in the other.....turned out to be a moose.:wink: haha. Another time, blacky tore hole in tent and pulled pillow out from under my head. I hate bears around my tent. Sometimes those fieldmice can sound like Grizzlies too!:-D

Spuddge
06-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Here you go.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40606&highlight=grizzly+attack

308Lover
06-29-2010, 10:56 AM
In a tent I want that grizz to know I'm there damn quick! It's not just the smell of me and my belongings--there's a mad protector of the camp inside. You better believe I'm sticking my head(and gun ) out the door. Serious aggressive yelling etc. is going that bear's way. That said, I never lock my truck in bear country--LOL. I'd rather be outside than being chewed on in a nylon coffin with zippers that "disappear". Another reason I like the Whelan tent, which has one side open to the fire, like a lean-to.

CanuckShooter
06-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Send the wife out to investigate??? :mrgreen:

steepNdeep
06-29-2010, 11:58 AM
I was wondering what you did or would do if you were sleepin in you tent in grizz territory and you wake up to the sounds of a grizz snooping around outside?

I'd stick my head out of my bear burrito and politely direct Mr. Grizz to Bramble's tent as he's been perfecting his grizzly-ninja skills... :mrgreen:

Then i'd assume the position... and spend the rest of the night sleeping with my back against the tree and a rifle across my lap... while my partner snores away... :rolleyes:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/4538766345_3d5483a999_o.jpg

srupp
06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
hmmm making noise while not prepared to intelligently and properly defend yourself may not be the best...I always have rifle-shotgun ready and flashlite however Im coming out of the tent to make noise and be prepared for flight or fight..
Steven

boxhitch
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
hmmm making noise while not prepared to intelligently and properly defend yourself may not be the best.Better to sound like a live human than submissive dinner
Sudden screaming may not be best, even if accompanied by soiling of the pampers.
Just recite the usual prayers calmly, while being prepared for the worst.

How does that go ?

'Ye, as I walk through the doorway of death..........
Trying to act like a mean S O B ........." ??

Jagernut
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
One word...BOOM. That's all I have to say...

J_T
06-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Happened to me once with a grizzly. I laid still as he stood beside the tent. Eventually he moved off.

I was with my Dad once and a young black bear stuck his head in our tent. I beat on it with a flashlight.

silvertipp
06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
One word...BOOM. That's all I have to say...
thats easy to say but when hes standibg 60 yrds from you and its dark youll think twice
my freinds yelled at him i took two shots just infront of him & he still kept hanging around until finally buddy smacked two pots together & that bugger took of smashing every thing in his way
after talking to the local guide he suggested burning a fire & lantern at night

northof49
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
thats easy to say but when hes standibg 60 yrds from you and its dark youll think twice
my freinds yelled at him i took two shots just infront of him & he still kept hanging around until finally buddy smacked two pots together & that bugger took of smashing every thing in his way
after talking to the local guide he suggested burning a fire & lantern at night
Used to do alot of fly camp work and I always stoked up a nice big fire before turning in. Put on 4 or 5 large but logs and she'd still be smoldering away in the morning. Nice for getting the coffee going and warming up too. I always had the open end of the wall tent and the gun 'cos nobody else wanted to git their face licked in middle of the night, but never had any problems with a good fire. Not so good for most hunting situations though except base camp with game hanging.

Rymar
06-29-2010, 09:06 PM
thanks guys...not so worried about the base camp..was thinking more towards spike camps.....keep 'em comin

Cheers Rymar- dreamin' of high country

blackwater moose
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
we use motion sensors that let out a high pitch noise as well as motion lights. these work very well at keepin the critters at bay

Kudu
06-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Get a nice dog to be your bear alarm, he should wake you up as well as keep the old grizz busy so you can make good your escape!

Mtn Wonderer
06-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Where do get the sensors are they small and packable??

I thought of somthing similar, fishing line trip wire to some sort of squealer a and light gizmo, that way you could perimeter the tent with hiking poles, if traveling with two guys, and it would be fairly lite. LED bike flashing bike light and a piezo buzzer. All would work on a couple AA batteries.

Around a base camp a smaller fencing unit may help .

So far I have just had one walk by in the night.

When in sheep country I try to sleep high well above tree line. this seems to avoid travel routes some times.

MTW

steelheadSABO
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
cut a hole in my tent and start shooting

blackwater moose
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Where do get the sensors are they small and packable??

I thought of somthing similar, fishing line trip wire to some sort of squealer a and light gizmo, that way you could perimeter the tent with hiking poles, if traveling with two guys, and it would be fairly lite. LED bike flashing bike light and a piezo buzzer. All would work on a couple AA batteries.

Around a base camp a smaller fencing unit may help .

So far I have just had one walk by in the night.

When in sheep country I try to sleep high well above tree line. this seems to avoid travel routes some times.

MTW

we got ours at crappy tire,rona or home depot should carry them also. yes they are small and packable

Krico
06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Just throw on some rubber boots and a headlamp and charge out there!!! If you're lucky like I was last year (thinking it was a porcupine in our gear) he will run off. If not you will get mauled, wearing nothing but boxers and gumboots:shock:. If you live, you will have really cool scars.

MOOSE MILK
06-30-2010, 01:58 AM
Small radio playing rap music, set it out aways from camp, pee on every bush in a circle around your tent about 50 feet away. If you have to leave your game over night leave the radio beside it. Rap will keep anything away!

hunter1947
06-30-2010, 02:34 AM
thanks guys...not so worried about the base camp..was thinking more towards spike camps.....keep 'em comin

Cheers Rymar- dreamin' of high country

Its the base cams that I find that are the problem for bears coming not a spike camp..

hunter1947
06-30-2010, 03:04 AM
If you can keep food or meat away from ether you spike camp of main camp you will never have a problem ,the bear is after one thing and thats food and when you get involved the bear figures you are competing with it for the food thats when things can get nasty.

I know its impossible to avoid having food around camp but every little thing you can do will help in the long run,

Here are a few to think of.
#1 when you are back packing eat your supper meal earlier then when you make camp latter in the day you are far from where you had cooked supper

#2when setting up camp for the night take all food and store it ether up a tree in a bag and if there are no trees then take it some distance from your camp in a bag cover with branches or rocks.

#3 never cook supper in camp where you are sleeping that night .

#4 around your main camp clean dishes after you eat ,put dirty wash water in a sealed container empty it down the road when you head out for your hunt the next day.

#5 Keep your game meat up a meat pole at least 25 feet off the ground

#6 hang your meat on your meat pole at least 100 yards from your camp.

#7 Have all you need in your tent just in case a bear comes into your camp at night ,when you get woke up from a bear you are not alert because you are still half a sleep you want everything read to go if you need to use it.

#8 never butcher up game animals in your main camp.

#9 If you have to shoot at a bear in the night make sure where your shot is going to be directed it could be at your hunting partner and we don't want this happening ,safety first.

#10 if you have to leave a game animal in the back of your truck leave the truck at least 100 yards from your main camp ,thats unless you have to sleep in it that night like I had to.

There are lots more things you can do to help prevent bears coming into your camp I just put a few up that make sense to me have a nice day http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

hardnocks
06-30-2010, 06:11 AM
An old fella told me they put those glo sticks on a downed animal . they have never had a grizz bother a carcase since they started to do this.

northof49
06-30-2010, 02:02 PM
If you can keep food or meat away from ether you spike camp of main camp you will never have a problem ,the bear is after one thing and thats food and when you get involved the bear figures you are competing with it for the food thats when things can get nasty.

Don't agree that you will never have a problem if keep all food away.

IMO a bears nose works very well and they rely on it more than any other sense to find food. That is why you see them constantly testing the air. Any different smell in the bush means potential food if your're a bear, and there are many different smells that can attract bears (toothpaste, perfume, womans cycle, sweat, gasoline, you name it). Any smell that is different can potentially mean food to a bear and as long as they don't feel threatened they will likey want to investigate further. All animals are driven by need to eat to survive and bears are no different and are very opportunistic.

Things like noise, fires, multiple people moving around camp all suggest more danger which is why most "camp/tent" incidents occur at night when it is quiet and no movement. From my experience, when a bear finds an active camp during the day with people in it, they almost always return that night once it is dark and quiet to investigate further (especially blackys). If you see one sniffing around that day expect a problem later that night and be prepared. If a mobile spike camp, better to relocate in my opinion or sleep with one eye open. If a bear smells something interesting in a camp they will want to investigate further b/c that is what they do. If they feel threateded or are unsure they will more than likely move on.

Sound also attracts. Even if a bear does't smell anything due to wind direction and stumbles across your camp/tent in the night it is hard to say how it could react. If it hears loud snoring or sees/hears movement and it is hungry, it may choose to investigate further. If the movement or noise startles it and it suddenly feels threatened it may well charge in especially if only one small tent. I always feel safer in a big wall tent than a small spiker and I haven't heard of many cases with bears crashing into big wall tents.

IMO bears are opportunistic and are unlikely to turn down what they perceive to be an easy meal. I agree it is good to locate food/meat away from camp, but I don't think one should ever assume if you do this you will "NEVER" have a problem. IMO, it's all about reducing risk, you can't elliminate it, so best be prepared in case it does and hope it doesn't.

Rymar
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
thanks for the advice H47 much appriciated

pete_k
06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Small radio playing rap music, set it out aways from camp, pee on every bush in a circle around your tent about 50 feet away. If you have to leave your game over night leave the radio beside it. Rap will keep anything away!

Rap music? lol
Griz must have good taste in music.

ytlogger
06-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Pee on the radio!

sawmill
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Rap music? lol
Griz must have good taste in music.
I`d rather have the grizz.

bigben
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Well the way I look at it your okay and the bear is still out there oh my what an experience .....my that is one hell of a great story and yes people it does happening when were in their backyard .... great story I have witness one similar to this ......remember when we hunt nothing is guaranteed in grizzly country .....Happy Hunting

.330 Dakota
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I read something about small electric fence kits...that could be hillarious

northof49
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
I read something about small electric fence kits...that could be hillarious
Don't leak on it in the dark

.330 Dakota
06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
oooowwwwwww

bridger
06-30-2010, 08:34 PM
As an old outfitter friend of mine told me long ago. Any bears found around my camp at night willl be found around my camp in the morning. Maybe not political correct but effective!!!!

hunter1947
07-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Don't agree that you will never have a problem if keep all food away.

IMO a bears nose works very well and they rely on it more than any other sense to find food. That is why you see them constantly testing the air. Any different smell in the bush means potential food if your're a bear, and there are many different smells that can attract bears (toothpaste, perfume, womans cycle, sweat, gasoline, you name it). Any smell that is different can potentially mean food to a bear and as long as they don't feel threatened they will likey want to investigate further. All animals are driven by need to eat to survive and bears are no different and are very opportunistic.

Things like noise, fires, multiple people moving around camp all suggest more danger which is why most "camp/tent" incidents occur at night when it is quiet and no movement. From my experience, when a bear finds an active camp during the day with people in it, they almost always return that night once it is dark and quiet to investigate further (especially blackys). If you see one sniffing around that day expect a problem later that night and be prepared. If a mobile spike camp, better to relocate in my opinion or sleep with one eye open. If a bear smells something interesting in a camp they will want to investigate further b/c that is what they do. If they feel threateded or are unsure they will more than likely move on.

Sound also attracts. Even if a bear does't smell anything due to wind direction and stumbles across your camp/tent in the night it is hard to say how it could react. If it hears loud snoring or sees/hears movement and it is hungry, it may choose to investigate further. If the movement or noise startles it and it suddenly feels threatened it may well charge in especially if only one small tent. I always feel safer in a big wall tent than a small spiker and I haven't heard of many cases with bears crashing into big wall tents.

IMO bears are opportunistic and are unlikely to turn down what they perceive to be an easy meal. I agree it is good to locate food/meat away from camp, but I don't think one should ever assume if you do this you will "NEVER" have a problem. IMO, it's all about reducing risk, you can't elliminate it, so best be prepared in case it does and hope it doesn't.

You are right any bear can come in to your spike camp or main camp at given time of the day or night ,but doing what you can will go a long ways http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

gamehunter6o
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
This Japanese walking sleeping bag may be the type of sleeping bag to use in grizzly country.
You may be able to do a runner.:lol:

http://images.flutterscape.net/2b7e352/199/2b7e352_199_16778545584aa49992d3381914617617.jpg

pappy
07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
ha ha ha, that bag is hilarious, it needs a spot to polk your hands out to shoot if you need to. Its a gun, flashlight and bearspray for me. Plan your tent set up for good escape routes just like a faller does for logging, more than one exit.

eaglesnester
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Undertaking safe food storage is the first issue. Next is tent style. I sleep in a tent large enough for a cot. When you are on a cot you can move better, quicker than when zipped up in a bag and on the ground also a larger tent gives you room to move. I do not sleep in a ziped up bag. I sleep dressed and with the bag wrapped around my body. I also keep a coleman lantern lit on low all night throwing just enough light to see by. The 375H&H is loaded with 5 rounds and is close. I keep a sheth knife on the belt razor sharp so I can create a door anywhere in the tent. These things are things a prudent hunter undertakes in grizz country or in Africa or anywhere apex preditors live if they have to sleep in a tent. Sleeping on the ground zipped up in a bag in one of them little pop up tents will turn you into grizzly bear shit quicker than you can say reload.

CanuckShooter
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Undertaking safe food storage is the first issue. Next is tent style. I sleep in a tent large enough for a cot. When you are on a cot you can move better, quicker than when zipped up in a bag and on the ground also a larger tent gives you room to move. I do not sleep in a ziped up bag. I sleep dressed and with the bag wrapped around my body. I also keep a coleman lantern lit on low all night throwing just enough light to see by. The 375H&H is loaded with 5 rounds and is close. I keep a sheth knife on the belt razor sharp so I can create a door anywhere in the tent. These things are things a prudent hunter undertakes in grizz country or in Africa or anywhere apex preditors live if they have to sleep in a tent. Sleeping on the ground zipped up in a bag in one of them little pop up tents will turn you into grizzly bear shit quicker than you can say reload.

Hillylarious !!! Don't you know those grizz bears can open a clamshell with those giant claws...they could just slowly lift the edge of your tent and bamm they got you!! All your preparations and you`d still end up bear breakyfast if they wanted to eat you!!! LOL:mrgreen: Maybe you should set up your cot inside a shark cage..in the tent...way safer!!!

gamehunter6o
07-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Last year in camp I suggested blowing up balloons, covering them in fat and hanging them around our camp. The idea is, when Mr Grizz comes along, he pops the balloons with claw or teeth and scarpers.:-DDon't laugh, it was a Kiwi that first split the atom.

CanuckShooter
07-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Last year in camp I suggested blowing up balloons, covering them in fat and hanging them around our camp. The idea is, when Mr Grizz comes along, he pops the balloons with claw or teeth and scarpers.:-DDon't laugh, it was a Kiwi that first split the atom.

How about tie a sheep up outside the tent?? Good for knocking down the weeds around camp and would make one heck of a noise at night if mr grizz came to visit...sort of like an early warning device??

ratherbefishin
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I like the idea of a portable motion detector-at least it gives you the edge and lets you know something is in your perimeter[horses coming into camp at night scared the crap out of me in the Kootneys once,thought for sure it was a sow and cubs]

BromBones
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
A good dog, and a rifle in the tent, and I've slept soundly in bear country many times.

ytlogger
07-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Funny how every noise heard at night is sure to be a bear attacking camp.

rollingrock
07-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Keep food away from the tent. Keep torch on over night. A rifle/shotgun in the tent.