PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 97C Loon Lake area info

sidney-hunter
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Just drove home the long way via the 97C from Kelowna through Merritt... looks like a decent area to poke around up near Loon Lake and I think it was the Surise Main Rd. Anyone been up there during the season willing to enlighten me regarding activity or access?

Thx in advance

goatdancer
06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
That whole area is being raped to get rid of the beetle wood. I think you mean Sunset main. Tons of roads going every which way. Get a copy of the Backroad Mapbook (Kamloops-Okanangan) and you'll be good to go. Could be a lot of logging truck traffic. Usually quite a few hunters up there chasing muleys and moose.

Surrey Boy
06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice country to hunt and lots of hunters using it. Have fun and enjoy the weather.

peashooter
06-29-2010, 06:14 PM
holds lots of hunters but good moose and mulie too. spend some time this summer getting to know some of the roads and you will see where to be in the fall. good luck out there.

behemoth
06-29-2010, 09:29 PM
:mad:Too busy for me

Surrey Boy
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
:mad:Too busy for me

I don't blame you in the least, but sometimes a place can be worth it. I still go up Harrison West from time to time.

Ruger4
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Sure...........take the Loon Lk exit and head south and stay on the main road for 6 or 7km. Theres a forestry campsite right there on Buck Lk and a good place to stake camp for a few days. Busy in the summer with campers and fairly busy in the fall, but if you dont mind some snow and the late season , its still a decent spot. Lots of small lakes around and some good quadding areas. I prefer the horse thing it gets you up and away from said above. Have fun exploring :mrgreen:

Rob

Spokerider
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I have a question about this area regarding snow in Dec. How much and how often can one expect snow? I was in the red lake area last Dec.......not much snow in all of Dec.......unusual I`m told.

Thanks for letting me ask a question sidney hunter, hope you aren`t too annoyed.

sidney-hunter
07-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the info everyone... and spokerider, not a probem. I had never been throught that way before, Sunset, Loon Lake etc..... the wife was getting antsy cuz i was rubbernecking and probably paying a little less attention to the road than i should have been.