4pt Sept10-30
any buck Oct1-19
4pt Oct20-Nov15

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/region7a.pdf

Regional bag limit mule deer 1. Antlerless only for youth

thoughts?

moosinaround
06-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Well that sucks donkey weiners!! I like to shoot an early buck for the freezer!! I will swing into 7-10 and 7-11 then!! No problem!! My son is looking for an antlerless this year to smack with the 270win and the newly developed 140 accubonds!! I will take the big mulie I have been looking at for the last 2 yrs in 7-12!! Moosin

kootenayelkslayer
06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Cutting the season short in some of the MU's...that's pretty lame. Luckily for me, the reduction isn't in any of the units I plan to hunt for mulies.

killman
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
That's your area isn't it? That'ts too bad:twisted:.

ROEBUCK
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
never mind!

theres still no bag limit on ground squirels!

Benthos
06-28-2010, 08:45 PM
i think it makes it more confusing then necessary. 7-12 is so close to zones like 7-10, 7-15, but now with different regs. i think it will be hard to enforce the eastern boundaries, although, near the hoof it will be okay.

BCrams
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I disagree with the changes. Its a knee jerk reaction to the couple bad winters. There are only a few areas of prime mule deer habitat while the rest is fringe habitat at best and deer will experience cyclic knock backs everytime there's a bad winter with the exception of those utilizing the pocket habitat.

Even with the new reg changes, if you get a bad winter its not going to save the deer. Some certain folks need to realize that and when the deer numbers are strong from good winters, take that opportunity to hunt and harvest those deer because the next year, they could be gone again.

Knowing mule deer and mule deer habitat, I don't buy the "recovery" arguement for those MU's. Mule deer will rebound under the previous regulations....and likely to numbers that are artificially high for the habitat to support them and should another bad winter hit.....they're going to have the cyclic reduction in numbers anyways....there was / is no need to change the regs.

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I disagree with the changes. Its a knee jerk reaction to the couple bad winters. There are only a few areas of prime mule deer habitat while the rest is fringe habitat at best and deer will experience cyclic knock backs everytime there's a bad winter with the exception of those utilizing the pocket habitat.

Even with the new reg changes, if you get a bad winter its not going to save the deer. Some certain folks need to realize that and when the deer numbers are strong from good winters, take that opportunity to hunt and harvest those deer because the next year, they could be gone again.

Knowing mule deer and mule deer habitat, I don't buy the "recovery" arguement for those MU's. Mule deer will rebound under the previous regulations....and likely to numbers that are artificially high for the habitat to support them and should another bad winter hit.....they're going to have the cyclic reduction in numbers anyways....there was / is no need to change the regs.

I agree Greg

The areas I hunted never had great numbers of mule deer. A good season was 20 deer seen, but of those, 5-7 would be bucks and at least one was a good one. It kept you interested, especially in Nov. It a great example of fringe habitat, some good pockets of habitat, surrounded by good moose habitat.

The population would fluctuate from season to season, cold, long winters would affect the deer more than a shorter, but heavier snow fall one would, but the next couple years after, the deer would be back. And because it was a small population, you did notice the number increase and decease.

I find it kind of strange that some of the MU's, where the population is small and just hangs on, there is no change, but other areas, where there is a good population, they are reducing the season.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
06-29-2010, 02:52 PM

You know that, the managers know that so................................

todbartell
06-29-2010, 08:44 PM
should it be expected that in a few years the average buck to be a bit larger?

Fisher-Dude
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Antlerless only for youth

thoughts?

I think you'll be shootin' a flat top.

killman
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Bartell you can come here and I will take you out for a flattop.

BCrams
06-29-2010, 10:34 PM

Nope. Most of the agriculture areas is closed off to hunters anyways so its not like they were getting 'slaughtered' to begin with in the longer season.

Is this a way of saying some folks are trying to make a 'trophy' mecca in marginal fringe habitat? Those MU's are not like the Peace or other areas of BC.

The new restrictions won't make for larger bucks at all. Even with the previous season, big bucks happened when they survived consecutive winters and when you get the bad winters thrown in, short season or long season, they're going to die anyways. So whats the point in having restrictions as such?? Its a joke.

Better off letting people hunt and when the deer numbers crawl up ... let hunters shoot them before they get that cyclic fall down.

308Lover
06-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Lousy change WTF? What are us old timers with no LEH permits to do? Now it will be tougher to get that nice young, veal-tender buck I've been watching. Rats! I hate useless changes like this one.

GoatGuy
06-30-2010, 06:26 PM

Creates fewer big bucks as harvest is focused on 4 pt. Tried it in most of the us in Alberta and BC - results are always the same.

CanuckShooter
06-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Creates fewer big bucks as harvest is focused on 4 pt. Tried it in most of the us in Alberta and BC - results are always the same.

Not to mention you'll see lots of massive 2 & 3pts bucks that are verbotten to hammer with your 338federal!!!

todbartell
10-11-2018, 01:13 PM
8 seasons of a 70/30 split of 4pt/any buck and for 2018-2019 we're now into a 100% 4pt only mule deer season in MU for adult hunters (MU 7-12, 7-13, 7-14, 7-24, 7-25)

Who makes these decisions?

Night Hawk 3
10-11-2018, 05:22 PM
8 seasons of a 70/30 split of 4pt/any buck and for 2018-2019 we're now into a 100% 4pt only mule deer season in MU for adult hunters (MU 7-12, 7-13, 7-14, 7-24, 7-25)

That's a great question - and on a recent hunt in the 7B we were wondering about some of the regulations that apply up there, and many of the regulations that apply on the MUs that we traveled through on the way back to the Coast.

Having a biology degree (ie: I have some understanding about animal biology, ecology, and cycles of predator/prey), and traveling with my hunting partner who is also a scientist (PhD) - we were baffled by some of the 'seasons' that were permitted, or not permitted.

~John

Wild one
10-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Maybe a ratio issue like many parts of B.C. hence the 1 md buck rule. I don’t honestly know but I wonder how the choose these rules at times well let other areas slip. 6-04 mule deer are in a lot worse shape the 7-13 yet no changes

horshur
10-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Go kill a 4 point..they are 2/3 larger then a fork horn...and just as good table fare.

todbartell
10-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Lots of mule deer in 7-12/7-13 in agricultural areas, like there always has been.

From harvest stats :

MU 7-12 Mule deer
2010-2015 - 771 hunters per year avg, 6567 hunter days avg per year (8.5 days per hunter), 110 deer harvest avg per year (14% success ratio) 86% bucks 4pt Sept10-Sept30, Any Buck Oct1-19, 4pt Nov1-15 (youth either sex in October)
2004-2009 - 723 hunters per year avg, 5445 hunter days avg per year (7.5 days per hunter), 214 deer harvest avg per year (30% success ratio) 91% bucks Any buck Sept10-Nov20, 4pt Nov21-30 (youth either sex in October)

MU 7-13 Mule deer
2010-2015 - 484 hunters per year avg, 4135 hunter days avg per year (8.5 days per hunter), 89 deer harvest avg per year (18% success ratio) 85% bucks Same seasons as 7-12 above ^
2004-2009 - 402 hunters per year avg, 3155 hunter days avg per year (7.8 days per hunter), 119 deer harvest avg per year (30% success ratio) 87% bucks

40% less deer harvest. No increase in "big bucks" taken. Guys are pulling trigger on first crab claw 4x3 they can get in their sights, and most go the season without that chance, especially since the majority of the deer in the MU's live on private land. Coyotes and wolves are probably eating well?

todbartell
10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Go kill a 4 point..they are 2/3 larger then a fork horn...and just as good table fare.

why should I be forced by a regulation to do so? What about the hunter who wants to shoot any deer to feed his family?

horshur
10-11-2018, 06:10 PM
It’s the same deer just a year or two older..and 2/3 more in freezer..

Wild one
10-11-2018, 06:12 PM
I agree the population seems fair in agricultural areas of 7-13 where I have been this year.

Is the area meeting buck vs doe ratios? How is the population outside of agriculture?

I don’t support point restrictions but there maybe a reason for trying to limit buck harvest

one-shot-wonder
10-11-2018, 08:43 PM
why should I be forced by a regulation to do so? What about the hunter who wants to shoot any deer to feed his family?

Many of the hunters down in the kettle/Christian/Granby (8-12 to 8-15) feel your pain..... Ever since their season went 4pt only Sept 10 to Nov 10, damn near impossible to find a 4pt on the hoof, let alone on a trail camera any time of the year (no shortage of 2/3 pts). As soon as a mule buck reaches 2-3 years old and grows crabby little 4 points it gets nuked and never gets to reach maturity.

358mag
10-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Many of the hunters down in the kettle/Christian/Granby (8-12 to 8-15) feel your pain..... Ever since their season went 4pt only Sept 10 to Nov 10, damn near impossible to find a 4pt on the hoof, let alone on a trail camera any time of the year (no shortage of 2/3 pts). As soon as a mule buck reaches 2-3 years old and grows crabby little 4 points it gets nuked and never gets to reach maturity.
But if the fawn count is high the does are getting breed ................ just saying ..............:shock:
After all they manage the herd for ## not trophy's http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.png

one-shot-wonder
10-11-2018, 09:45 PM
But if the fawn count is high the does are getting breed ................ just saying ..............:shock:
After all they manage the herd for ## not trophy's http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.png

I understand how MFLNRO manages ungulates Skipper. I find it ironic that many of the ones chirping in the past to shut down the youth seasons and any buck in favour of a 4 pt season are now the ones complaining that they don't even see any prospective 4 points in the field or scouting....the 4 pt season that was going to save the mule deer population has done diddly squat, meanwhile hunter harvest will have drastically declined, leaving more bucks on the mountain for cats and dogs to eat I guess :roll:.

StoneChaser
10-11-2018, 09:57 PM

I’d highly recommend that you make the 3km drive to the NVSA clubhouse for the monthly F&G meetings and get involved as that’s where many of the season proposals originate (has been the case for the past few decades).

horshur
10-12-2018, 06:03 PM
If a buck gets nuked as a crabby four point is it not still a harvested buck?.or are you one of them trophy hunters?