View Full Version : Bear fatalities list

pete_k
06-28-2010, 02:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Alot of "dragged from tent" deaths.
Pretty scarey.

Steeleco
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
When you consider all the bears and all the people, the odds are VERY low. Sure we all know know it happens, but so too does winning an LEH tag!!!

The last one pisses me off
The bear was later shot and killed from a helicopter by wildlife officials. Evert ignored posted warnings to avoid the area due to the likelihood of a bear encounter. Once again the bear has to pay, assuming they got the right one that is??
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America#cite_n ote-billings_2010-0)

4 point
06-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Some terrible statistics for sure. Lots of black's and "brown" being I guess grizzly and Alaska brown bear combines numbers depending on location. You certainly have to have respect for them.

bsa30-06
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Numbers in the early years are alot lower, maybe incomplete data.

ytlogger
06-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Someone should publish 'People who have never been dragged from their tent by a bear' statistics. That might be more reassuring.

olharley guy
06-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Howdy, I see this is not a complete list as a friend of mine who was a geologist for a major mining company had one of his workers killed and partially eaten by a black bear in Alaska just inside the Yukon border.

The fellow didn't show up to camp on the specified time so he went looking-spotted the bear and he ran back to the camp and he and his wife locked themselves in a core shack-the bear spent quite a while trying to get in but left when the helicopter he called for showed up.

They found the worker down the trail partially eaten and killed the bear shortly thereafter who had gone back to the killing area and didn't want to leave.

This was in the 80's and I see no mention of it.

You could write another 10+ pages on attacks alone where there was no deaths but a lot of chunks of meat missing from the people that were attacked.

Later

pmj
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
My wife and I have hiked the Loop Trail to Granite Park Chalet in Glacier National Park. Loop trail and Granite Park chalet is where 2 fatal attacks have occurred. It sure made my hair stand on edge as we saw the places where the attacks occurred. Not much comfort from hugging the pepper spray and ring the bear bells. We came back from that hike with a good grizzly bear story ourselves.

Glacier is some of the most fantastic mountain scenery accessible by vehicle. We have been there a half a dozen times.

northof49
06-29-2010, 03:45 AM
I always pack a gun in the bush. Would really piss me off gettin chewed on knowing you got a dozen or so guns sitting at home. You never know when its gonna be your turn.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-29-2010, 05:05 AM
IIRC-Attacks on people while sleeping in tents have some of the highest mortality rates of all types of bear attacks.
Our two HBC celebrities are very lucky.

SSS