PDA

View Full Version : Shot size for Turkey?

06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
I've never hunted Turkey, Seems like i might wind up in some turkey country this fall. Shot only / bow only. I have no idea what shot you guys are using. I have a 3-1/2" 12 ga. do i feed it 4's? lead? high density?
And do they require a species tag or does your license cover it like grouse? I didnt see a species tag in the regs so i assume not.

No idea how to hunt turkey but that is not why i am going there. But i might learn how on the ground!

IslandHunterBXL
06-28-2010, 01:46 PM
I've never hunted Turkey, Seems like i might wind up in some turkey country this fall. Shot only / bow only. I have no idea what shot you guys are using. I have a 3-1/2" 12 ga. do i feed it 4's? lead? high density?
And do they require a species tag or does your license cover it like grouse? I didnt see a species tag in the regs so i assume not.

No idea how to hunt turkey but that is not why i am going there. But i might learn how on the ground!
We were in the kootenays a few years ago during a turkey opening. I was expecting some ellusive bird that had to be called in from a blind like in all the hunting vids iv seen. Instead we found groups of big dumb birds running through the slashes. We basically just walked up and choose the ones we wanted and shot them, with size 5 lead if i remember. Maybe its different in other areas but it sure wasnt as sporty as i had hoped.

06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I like how you make it sound! I'm not going hunting turkey but I like to be prepaired for incidental by catch as you might say!

Caveman
06-28-2010, 01:51 PM
We were in the kootenays a few years ago during a turkey opening. I was expecting some ellusive bird that had to be called in from a blind like in all the hunting vids iv seen. Instead we found groups of big dumb birds running through the slashes. We basically just walked up and choose the ones we wanted and shot them, with size 5 lead if i remember. Maybe its different in other areas but it sure wasnt as sporty as i had hoped.

GPS Co-ordinates! Please!!! :wink:

newguytaylor
06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I got my first turkey in May in the Ottawa area.
it was every bit as exciting as the hunting shows make it out to be.

06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I got my first turkey in May in the Ottawa area.
it was every bit as exciting as the hunting shows make it out to be.

ok good but did you use a shot gun? if so what size shot!!!!

Oh ya welcome to the site!

SHAKER
06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I use #6 3.5" "turkey loads". Don't let these guys steer you too far astray.... They are smart but you might get lucky and smoke a dumb one.

06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I use #6 3.5" "turkey loads". Don't let these guys steer you too far astray.... They are smart but you might get lucky and smoke a dumb one.

Didnt really think they were dumb. Too many people attest to the oposite! Its just if i see them i might presue them. So shot size is something i needed. 3.5#6 gotcha, I guess a full choke?

grunion
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Shot size 5 or 6. Full choke and aim for head neck. They get alot smarter the more they get shot at.

BimmerBob
06-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Page 16 of the synopsis indicates that you need "20 gauge or larger and use shells of shot size No. 1 Buck or larger" or am I somehow not reading it right?

06-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Page 16 of the synopsis indicates that you need "20 gauge or larger and use shells of shot size No. 1 Buck or larger" or am I somehow not reading it right?

The 1 is for the bag limit and the asterisc is to indicate you look at reigonal bag limits.

Beside the "YES" you will see the 1,2,3 that is where you use the bottom chart

BimmerBob
06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
The 1 is for the bag limit and the asterisc is to indicate you look at reigonal bag limits.

Beside the "YES" you will see the 1,2,3 that is where you use the bottom chart
Of course, thanks for setting me straight...

06-29-2010, 02:50 PM
No prob, Bob!
i had to look at it a while as well

SHAKER
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Yep full choke is recomended........ It's all about what puts the most pellets in that small window for a clean kill! They are tough birds my bird this spring took 2 full loads before he came tumbling down. Guess I missed the "sweet spot" on the first shot. Pattern your gun if you can and see what works best. Oh yeah.... the recoil on them big sausage shells is pretty stout too, make sure you got your feet planted well when you turn one loose! LOL

06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah.... the recoil on them big sausage shells is pretty stout too, make sure you got your feet planted well when you turn one loose! LOL

Trust me I know this! I have shot a number of 3.5" #2 and bb's at ducks and geese. There is no room for error. 835 ulti mag hurts birds and birder alike!

SHAKER
06-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Steel is one thing, the "turkey" loads are something a little stout'r yet! Suprised me and I deal with recoil all the time.

06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Steel is one thing, the "turkey" loads are something a little stout'r yet! Suprised me and I deal with recoil all the time.

Stout er er than 3.5"bb's!!
ok thanks for the warning! cuz If its more than my ulti mag i'll need to put down my purse when i shoot it :mrgreen:

SHAKER
06-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Stout er er than 3.5"bb's!!
ok thanks for the warning! cuz If its more than my ulti mag i'll need to put down my purse when i shoot it :mrgreen:

Ask some of our gun club guys... I shoot them 3.5's just for fun on the trap line. Yep they are a little more pushy then the waterfowl version IMO.