PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a Valandre bag ?

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Pretty sure the Valandre Bloody Mary sleeping bag is the one I want but I am just curious, who uses a Valandre and what do you think of them?

I am needing a warmer bag for my goat hunt this year (currently packing a marmot pinnacle) but will likely use the new one for all but local hunts.

Devilbear
06-27-2010, 07:21 PM
The Valandre Shocking Blue is the BEST down bag I have ever had and I have owned and used about all the top brands plus used others and sold them for my livelihood.

Niels, who is the owner of Valandre is a very nice guy, has corresponded with me several times and asked my opinion on a couple of issues. I suggested the BM to them about three years ago, only, I called it the "Riotous Red" after I got my SB. I think he may well have had it in mind, in any case, but, it is nice to know that these guys listen to customers, especially old geezers like me and do offer what we want.

Pick a bag from Integral Designs, Western Mountaineering or Valandre that fits you and covers the temp. range you will be out in, giving yourself a 10* "edge" on the low end and you cannot go wrong.

For BC use, the V SB is as close to "perfect" as I ever expect to see and my "long" weighs 3 lbs and will go to below zero F.....what more can you ask for?

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Thats exactly it, most ratings you read are extreme ratings (not comfort)

Personally I would rather sleep without long johns on etc, hang a leg out if its warmer (all 3 if necessary) but have NO worries if some real cold weather rolls in.
I dont like sleeping in stinky base layers (everything is stinky after a week) and should a guy have everything he owns get wet, you cant rely on a bag rated with a base layer you may no longer have
(most the ratings you see for Marmot etc i.e-9 for the pinnacle include a base layer and that is also the lowest recommended temps)
Well I found that even hovering around zero to-3 my feet were getting cold although I did sleep in a tent with it @ -25 for a week :neutral:

I looked at the shocking blue as well.
Looks like either one will be a sure bet.
I too need a long bag and the weight/wamth ratio is unreal to say the least (in a good way) whereas even the slightly lower quality bags are creeping up to 3.5lbs to get equivalent warmth.

You always have a reply for quality gear... I guess we're gear geeks :lol:

Devilbear
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
No, I just am an old guy who has been backpack camping/hunting for 46+ years and I see NO reason to use cheap gear and be miserable in crappy weather. I would go with the SB if I were you, the extra ozs. are worth packing, IMO.

todbartell
06-27-2010, 08:01 PM
$700 :shock:

killman
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
$700 :shock:

LOL I said the same thing. :eek:

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Whats that, a few months of smoking for some, 2 tires that wear out in a couple years, 1/3 of a decent tv that burns out in 5 years, a 1/3 of a custom rifle ?

I thoroughly enjoy a good nights sleep and if I get 20+ years out of it its minor really.

todbartell
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
yeah, good point. 3 weeks Taquito supply for Gatehouse

http://usera.imagecave.com/ws6/Jan%2026%2009%20005.jpg

killman
06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahah!!!!! !!!!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
06-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Haha thats good

huntcoop
06-28-2010, 09:04 AM
The bigger concern is why is she putting on a glove :shock:

07-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Are there any Valandre dealers in lower mainland?

Devilbear
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
No, and I seriously doubt that there will ever be as highend gear does not move very quickly in BC or the rest of Canada. The best outlet I know of is the one I posted on here several times for Hilleberg, Integral and so forth. Go to www.bearriveroutfitters.com (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.com), phone is 1-435-764-1111 and Charlie WILL treat you right.

He owns guns, is not some hairheaded doper "anti" and is one of the finest men to do business with I have ever dealt with.

07-05-2010, 10:33 AM
It looks like a great bag but it's a hard thing to buy without getting into it first. I'm 6'2, 225lbs and some of these bags are designed with granola eaters in mind.

Devilbear
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I love granola and always take it with me, I used to take cases of it to eat for breakfast when living alone in the bush for three month stints without break becaude it is so nutritious and you can eat it with snowmelt water, fruit juice, milk or just by the handful.

Many of the best real climbers and mountain men I have known were/are granola eaters for these reasons, hard to fry greasy eggs and bacon when you don't have your camper rig handy.

The worst is when some "hunter" or GO tries to feed me greasy, fatty bacon and storebought bread...barf, won't keep you going under a heavy pack like granola, dried fruits and nuts will, especially when you have Halvah as well.

I KNOW that the LONG version of the Valandre Shocking Blue will fit you as Charlie uses one and he is your size; I am 5'8", but, have a 48" chest, 18.5" neck and big shoulders and this fits me more comfortably than any other bag I have slept in.

I do not necessarily recommend the Valandre bags for most hunters or hikers, they are a premium item intended for a small and specialized market group, as are WM, FF and most ID bags and other gear. There are lots of perfectly functional bags at lower prices for those who hunt from campers, quads or only in nice weather.

It's kinda like when I see a Sitka clad hunter, riding his quad to hunt sleepy spring Black Bears in cutblocks.....sometimes some gear is "overkill" for many people. Valandre makes bags for this level of use, it is the "SB" and "BM" that I am concerned with here.

07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Devilbear,

Good to know about the sizing. Do you know if the Bloody Mary has the same cut as the Shocking blue?
By the way I eat a lot of granola and dried fruit when I'm backpack hunting too!

Devilbear
07-05-2010, 12:26 PM
The BM is a little tighter, Niels, the owner of Valandre told me this himself about a year and a half ago and there are specs. given on their site, IIRC.

To me, putting out that kind of coin and I have spent enough on highend gear over the years to buy a house, I want the maximum versatility possible. So, I got rid of my light 20*F WM and 30*F FF bags and tested this V-SB, it is as comfortable at warm temps. as any lighter down bag, yet is good to slightly below 0*F and thus, it is the most useful down bag for BC that I know of.

You carry 6-8 ozs. more than with the BM, but, it is worth it as this bag WILL "do it all". No other bag I have used and I have owned or used a LOT of highend bags since my first backpack camping in spring, 1964, has impressed me like this one and I never use my custom ID XPDII anymore.

Valandre Shocking Blue, Integral eVEnt Unishelter, ID Siltarp II, ID VBL, long Z-rest, two Gossamer Gear Torsolites used sideways and a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad or Thermarest Neoaire and you have the ideal emerg or sheep camp, IMHO. I happen to prefer the ID Starp III for 50% more coverage at a weight penalty of 6 oz. and I have different bivies to choose from, but, it don't get no better then this for BC.

bigwhiteys
07-19-2010, 02:53 PM
I just got an email back from Niels (Valandre Owner) regarding Valandres position on hunting and hunters using their equipment.

He told me considering the down from approx 20 geese goes into one Bloody Mary sleeping bag, he is definitely NOT anti-hunter :)

My Valandre, Bloody Mary should be here anyday. This upgrade shed 2lbs out of my pack!

Carl

Lone Ranger
07-19-2010, 03:28 PM
The bigger concern is why is she putting on a glove :shock:

Cheap taquitoes AND bonus discount prostrate exam!! All compliments of 7-11 :mrgreen: