PDA

View Full Version : stuart lake moose

stugatz
06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
My father has just been drawn for a cow/calf moose in region 7-25. I have hunted the area south of stuart lake before, and one issue i have never been able to resolve is as follows: the road that we hunt on is called cunningham service road, this road sits in 7-25 for the most part,There is however one section of the road that is overtaken by area 6-6, this is the dilemma..there are no signs stating when you are leaving area 7-25 and entering 6-6 and also leaving 6-6 and entering 7-25 again, the maps are not precise and are inconclusve ...so what do you think would be my best course of action to seek clarification....Thanx Stu

CanuckShooter
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
If you cannot get a CO to give you better information your best to just not hunt the part of the road that you think is in 6-6.

I ran into this same thing up Pink Mountain way when they moved a boundary from the Halfway River up into the hills...the CO that stopped me wouldn't mark my rec atlas to show me where the new boundary was, so I assumed he didn't know either..he got a little pizzy about the request too?? go figure.

stugatz
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
If you cannot get a CO to give you better information your best to just not hunt the part of the road that you think is in 6-6.

I ran into this same thing up Pink Mountain way when they moved a boundary from the Halfway River up into the hills...the CO that stopped me wouldn't mark my rec atlas to show me where the new boundary was, so I assumed he didn't know either..he got a little pizzy about the request too?? go figure.
Here is the problem, depending who you get as a CO if he or she is in a pissi mood, then after the deed is done and your animal is down and you think you are in the right, if its not clearly posted then its your word against theirs.

CanuckShooter
06-27-2010, 03:29 PM
You never mentioned what maps your using, but if you get one of those backroads atlas ones they are pretty accurate, and can help you determine where those pesky boundarys are. Other than that the onus is on us to ensure that we are shooting within an open area. Best I can do for you.:-D

Amphibious
06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
PM me. I guide that area. can give you some tips.

buck nash
06-27-2010, 04:22 PM
You can also get the backroads atlas for your gps. They have all the m.u. boundries programmed into them. You have to have a gps capable of downloading them or one that accepts the sd card maps. They're a bit pricey but elimnates doubt.

Visle
06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I asked much the same question of a CO at the Kamloops gun show and he told me they pretty much rely on the Forest Service maps.I pointed out that I didn't think they had been published since 1993. Well he hummed , if one were found hunting in an area that was maybe questionable they would probably look on it as not too serious if one had taken caution .I asked what if I had an animal down and there was a question of it being taken in a wrong MU and he said I'd be in trouble.I asked why they couldn't put up steel MU area signs while on regular patrol and he claims they won't stay up. Even with the best GPS if the CO decides to play the part you might still be in for a rough time.

stugatz
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I asked much the same question of a CO at the Kamloops gun show and he told me they pretty much rely on the Forest Service maps.I pointed out that I didn't think they had been published since 1993. Well he hummed , if one were found hunting in an area that was maybe questionable they would probably look on it as not too serious if one had taken caution .I asked what if I had an animal down and there was a question of it being taken in a wrong MU and he said I'd be in trouble.I asked why they couldn't put up steel MU area signs while on regular patrol and he claims they won't stay up. Even with the best GPS if the CO decides to play the part you might still be in for a rough time.
Thats a typical beurocratic response on part of the CO "they wont stay up" thats a typical lazy answer to a serious question, especially if ones hunting licence is in the balance. They have all sorts of methods and it would clear up a lot of confusion....stu

moosinaround
06-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Look on Google earth in the 3-D phase. It shows a height of land seperating the 7-25/6-6 boundary. There are no distinct "Lines" to see, but for the most part boundaries are heights of land, rivers, streams, roads ect. Hope it helps. Moosin

stugatz
06-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Look on Google earth in the 3-D phase. It shows a height of land seperating the 7-25/6-6 boundary. There are no distinct "Lines" to see, but for the most part boundaries are heights of land, rivers, streams, roads ect. Hope it helps. Moosin
I am not too familiar with google map but i will give it a go thanx.

moosinaround
06-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I am not too familiar with google map but i will give it a go thanx.
You will see when it goes to 3-d just where the boundary is. It is not a sharp height of land but it is present on the sat. imagery, and you will see it in the field!

Brett
06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Are you looking for someones permission to shoot out of your mu? You received a gracious offer from a guide in the area, who I'm sure not only tell you where the boundary is but may also suggest a better place for you to go. Where there may not be the confusion. Sorry if I sound like a prick, but mu's are huge, if you not sure go some where else.

Sitkaspruce
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I lived there, I will send you a PM about some other areas.

Cheers

SS

SUAFOYT
06-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't envy your potential luck re that area. The gas activity is crazy and the heavy truck traffic is the same. There's fence lines running every which way and to know where you can and can't hunt is a real chore. Wish you luck but if it's a quiet area you're after, this won't be it.

moosinaround
06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't envy your potential luck re that area. The gas activity is crazy and the heavy truck traffic is the same. There's fence lines running every which way and to know where you can and can't hunt is a real chore. Wish you luck but if it's a quiet area you're after, this won't be it.
I am thinking you are thinking of a different area?? I don't remember lots of fence lines or gas activity, but I haven't been up there in a while? 7-25 borders next to MU 6-6 somewhere between Tremblueur and babine lake, and stuart lake, west to northwest of Fort St James. I think the boundary between 6-6 and 7-25 is actually a watershed boundary? All runoff from 6-6 flows NW to the skeena system where all runoff from the 7-25 side goes into the fraser system?? I believe that is how it is seperated? Correct me if I am incorrect? Moosin

SUAFOYT
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
I am thinking you are thinking of a different area?? I don't remember lots of fence lines or gas activity, but I haven't been up there in a while? 7-25 borders next to MU 6-6 somewhere between Tremblueur and babine lake, and stuart lake, west to northwest of Fort St James. I think the boundary between 6-6 and 7-25 is actually a watershed boundary? All runoff from 6-6 flows NW to the skeena system where all runoff from the 7-25 side goes into the fraser system?? I believe that is how it is seperated? Correct me if I am incorrect? Moosin

Ooops, my bad. I'm referring to the Stuart Lake due N of Groundbirch. Apologies for the mistake and thanks for correcting me:)

Brett
06-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Sorry River, It read like he didn't look at your suggestion, or pm the guide offering advice, or go look at a map book, so in a pissy mood at work I thought he must just be asking if it's okay for him to be over the line a little? I will stop posting from work, as I'm usualy in a pissy mood and don't have time to read everything :mrgreen:

demlake
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
If you install google earth, which is excellent, Slinky Pickle has posted info and a link to a file that will add the mu boundaries to it.

Here's the link to his thread:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51682&highlight=wmu.kmz

moosinaround
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
If you install google earth, which is excellent, Slinky Pickle has posted info and a link to a file that will add the mu boundaries to it.

Here's the link to his thread:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=51682&highlight=wmu.kmz
That is really cool and all, but the line isn't painted in the bush. One needs to know how to identify these features in the field. Are the boundaries identified on the maps "Rough" or are they transfered from MOE files?? Call and find out what land features or geographical features they use and then you will know for sure where the line is in the field. If you are worried about it, don't go too close to the boundary stay say a klick back from where you think it might be then you are safely within your intended MU zone. A phone call to the region 250-565-6135 for general inquiries, or 1-800-663-9453 for the CO service should clear things up for you. Moosinaround

demlake
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu251/demlake/Cunningham_FSR_WMU_Boundary.jpg

Here's an example of what you can do.

This shows the area where the two WMUs overlap near the junction of the Cunningham and the road to Whitefish Rec Site. Approx 44 km on the Cunningham.

Yellow is the WMU boundary, red is the Cunningham FSR. So you get a rough idea of where the boundary is in relation to the roads, lakes, cut-blocks, etc.

Use this in coordination with a good map, and with info you get from the sources moosin mentions above, etc.

And of course, leave yourself a margin for error. And keep in mind that there has been logging since those satellite photos were taken.

But it will give you a pretty good visual representation as you try to determine where you're at.

moosinaround
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu251/demlake/Cunningham_FSR_WMU_Boundary.jpg

Here's an example of what you can do.

This shows the area where the two WMUs overlap near the junction of the Cunningham and the road to Whitefish Rec Site. Approx 44 km on the Cunningham.

Yellow is the WMU boundary, red is the Cunningham FSR. So you get a rough idea of where the boundary is in relation to the roads, lakes, cut-blocks, etc.

Use this in coordination with a good map, and with info you get from the sources moosin mentions above, etc.

And of course, leave yourself a margin for error. And keep in mind that there has been logging since those satellite photos were taken.

But it will give you a pretty good visual representation as you try to determine where you're at.
Nice, now what I am saying is find out what that yellow line follows, and apply it to other areas. These line are not usually just arbitrary lines, they need to follow some type of feature to make them defensable in the court of law. There can be no doubt. if there is there can be no prosicution for WLMU boundary violations by a CO. Very good example of the tools available to the hunters and Outdoor users for making the proper informed decisions. This is what the HBC site is all about, and we are helping each other to become better stewarts of our resource!! Good info and good luck with the LEH. Armed with this info, some patience, luck, and determination a moose will fall this hunting season. Moosin

Hydrojet
06-28-2010, 11:52 AM

this seems to run true to all the boundaries I have looked at. You can use an altimiter to figure out your elevation in the field and that should give you an indication of the boundary as the rest are pretty apparent (ie rivers and bodies of water. Just have to find the magic elevation.

BCrams
06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
The yellow line more or less follows the "height of land" but in that area (its rolling hills for the most part). The reason those lines are where they are in relation to Camsell, Ogston and Grassham Lake is because of the small 'tributary' streams (which could be intermittent / dry) above the lakes that flow into those 3 lakes which makes them part of the Skeena watershed. Likewise on the other side of the lines, water flow is part of the Fraser system flowing into Stuart Lake / River, Nechako to Fraser River.

Sitkaspruce
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
There used to be signs there, but the "BIG GAME HUNTERS" shot them all to sh$t so they quite putting them up. Now I believe there is smaller metal signs that are found there, but they might also been shot up by now.

If you stay away from Jenny, Grassham, Ogsten and Camsell Lakes, do not hunt from the turn off on Jenny (~35 k) to 3 km past Camsell rec site, you will be OK.

Cheers

SS

stugatz
06-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Are you looking for someones permission to shoot out of your mu? You received a gracious offer from a guide in the area, who I'm sure not only tell you where the boundary is but may also suggest a better place for you to go. Where there may not be the confusion. Sorry if I sound like a prick, but mu's are huge, if you not sure go some where else.
Well, you do not sound like a prick, but if you understood my thread your answer might not have sounded so anal. My question is not werther i would like to shoot out of my zone , but if someone has ever encountered the same situation in that zone....stu

stugatz
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
There used to be signs there, but the "BIG GAME HUNTERS" shot them all to sh$t so they quite putting them up. Now I believe there is smaller metal signs that are found there, but they might also been shot up by now.

If you stay away from Jenny, Grassham, Ogsten and Camsell Lakes, do not hunt from the turn off on Jenny (~35 k) to 3 km past Camsell rec site, you will be OK.

Cheers

SS
SS and the rest of you brother hunters, I thank you for your help. And if anyone else has any other tips on this I do appreciate it...thanx Stu

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
I am off on holidays, but will get you the info when I am back. Actually heading up that way next week.

Cheers

SS

northof49
07-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Sorry River, It read like he didn't look at your suggestion, or pm the guide offering advice, or go look at a map book, so in a pissy mood at work I thought he must just be asking if it's okay for him to be over the line a little? I will stop posting from work, as I'm usualy in a pissy mood and don't have time to read everything :mrgreen:
So that's what CO's do at work in of season:wink:

demlake
07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
One last idea.

If you have a GPS, you can find the coordinates for the boundary using google earth and the wmu overlay, and enter them into it.

Again, leave a margin for error, and use with a good map.

I was through that area yesterday, and most of the MU signs are gone, whether through vandalism, brushing, snow-plowing, ditching etc who knows.

stugatz
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
One last idea.

If you have a GPS, you can find the coordinates for the boundary using google earth and the wmu overlay, and enter them into it.

Again, leave a margin for error, and use with a good map.

I was through that area yesterday, and most of the MU signs are gone, whether through vandalism, brushing, snow-plowing, ditching etc who knows.
I am going to give my dad your info.Unfortunately my ol'man is an old style guy that technology ran past him years ago. Having said that, he has to get used to the idea that he cant just rely on nonexistent signs on the road. But I am sure before the hunt we will have a better idea of where the boundary is....stu