PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island Chapter of Delta Waterfowl

Marc
06-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Just putting a feeler out there to see how much interest there would be to create a delta waterfowl chapter on Vancouver Island.

About a week ago I submitted a donation to Delta Waterfowl and thought to myself, I'd like to give back to the sport that's been such a big part of my life. So when I submitted my donation I also sent on a note telling them that I'd like to get more involved then just donating money and would like to be part of a chapter on Vancouver Island if there was such a thing.

This past week I received a phone call from North Dakota from Delta Waterfowl. They asked me a few questions and asked where I had heard of them and what made me decide to want to become a volunteer. We talked for a good half hour about issues we're having north of the border and how I'd like to give back to something I feel so passionate about.

By the end of the conversation they asked if I would like an information package on how to start a chapter. I said "yes sure, I have several people on the island who are passionate about the sport as I am, and probably would be in favour of organizing something like this here on Vancouver Island.

So my question all you waterfowlers out there is:

Would you support a local chapter of Delta Waterfowl?
Would you volunteer your time for clean ups or making duck boxes or hen houses?
Would you help support with fund raisers/ banquettes?
Would you help with teaching youths to hunt and pass on the tradition we all so love?

Thanks for your time on this guys/girls.

Marc.

Marc
06-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Just to clarify on the poll, if you would still support the chapter as in giving a donation during a fund raiser you do not have to be from Vancouver Island to vote on the poll. Every little bit helps.

Thanks,

Marc.

porcupine
06-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm a big supporter of Ducks Unlimited and give them money each year. I would take a serious look at donating to Delta Waterfowl if they are on the Island. If you are a waterfowl hunter, I challenge you to give a minimum of $10 per every bird that you harvest to either of these fine organiztaions.

Crazy_Farmer
06-26-2010, 09:00 PM
minimum of $10 per every bird that you harvest to either of these fine organiztaions.

:shock::shock:

303Brit
06-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I would definitely do what I can to assist a chapter on the Island. I will be donating this year regardless of a chapter on the Island or not

I'm a big supporter of Ducks Unlimited and give them money each year. I would take a serious look at donating to Delta Waterfowl if they are on the Island. If you are a waterfowl hunter, I challenge you to give a minimum of $10 per every bird that you harvest to either of these fine organiztaions.

/|\
That right there is crazy talk, I'm not a superfowler like some others. But I'm also not rich:(

Marc
06-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Support doesn't have to be all financial. If someone volunteered there time and effort in cleaning up an area, or helping with making of duck boxes or hen houses then this is also a great help and in some ways just as good if not better then cash.

Here is an abstract from Delta Waterfowl's website to give people an understanding on what they do.

Who We Are:
Delta Waterfowl’s mission is “to provide knowledge, future leaders, solutions and its passion for waterfowl to scientists, resource managers, waterfowlers, conservationists and the public to enhance waterfowl populations while securing the future of waterfowling.” To make this happen we need the help of concerned waterfowlers, like you.
What began in 1911 and was later nurtured by the father of wildlife management, Aldo Leopold in 1938, Delta Waterfowl Foundation has been and continues to be the leader in the field of waterfowl research, known internationally as the “University of Ducks”. Through the training of over 350 PhD’s and Masters in biology Delta Waterfowl is advancing research focused on enhancing and stabilizing waterfowl populations throughout North America.

What We Do:
FB.init("64fd70632bebb8f3246fa61f1c575c07");Delta Waterfowl Foundation (http://www.facebook.com/DeltaFans) on Facebook

Today, as avid sportsmen and sportswomen, biologists and conservationists, we are aggressively putting our research findings to work on the landscape to increase duck production. Our Delta Duck Production Program ensures that ducks will have secure breeding habitat and will be free of the effects of today’s overabundant and unnaturally destructive predator populations.
Delta Waterfowl Produces Ducks...and we cordially invite you to join an existing chapter or to form a new chapter in your area!
When you join an existing Delta Waterfowl chapter committee, you will attend meetings with other passionate waterfowlers, organize and participate in fundraising activities and determine how your local chapter dollars are spent.
Delta Waterfowl’s chapter and events system is unique in that chapters can invest or direct the spending of 25% of event proceeds. This Waterfowl Heritage Fund (WHF) provides local chapters a greater role in Delta’s mission. Eligible projects include mentored youth hunts, youth waterfowling training seminars, local nesting structure programs among others. Chapters can also choose to direct the WHF funds to current Delta research or program activities.

nor'wester
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd be very interested...certainly more in volunteering than monetarily...I'm a member of DU and make my donations, but I've approached them about volunteer work on the Island and haven't had any response whatsoever. I'd love to help in doing clean-ups such as the one in Ladner and/or any habitat work, etc. Activities such as these are positive things in the public eye.

longshot
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I donate to the Ducks Unlimited a lot and love supporting the organization as I am a member. I would be very interested and would love to help and support something like Delta Waterfowl here on the Island.

Longshot Sr.

trapperdan2061
06-27-2010, 07:31 PM
her we go fractioning again everyone should support one and only one group imagin the power that group would have to speak for us.

B.C. Wildlife

Marc
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
her we go fractioning again everyone should support one and only one group imagin the power that group would have to speak for us.

B.C. Wildlife

Dan your talking apples and oranges here. The BCWF and Delta Waterfowl work together on several projects in BC.

Delta waterfowl was partially if not fully responsible for introducing the heritage hunts (waterfowl hunter recruitment) in several provinces. They also helped with the fight to keep areas open for hunting in the lower mainland. Remember that migratory limits and seasons are mostly controlled by the Federal Government and not Provincial. Delta Waterfowl is North America wide and do send money across the border to Canada for duck production and scientific research.

Delta is about preserving the waterfowl heritage (this is a pro waterfowling organization), increasing waterfowl populations through science based methods, and educating the general public.

I'm not trying to fraction nothing, if anything it would give the Island waterfowlers a stronger leg to stand on when issues come up like the resident goose population or bird watchers trying to shut down Dinsdale Farm and possibly Cowichan bay from hunting.

I support the BCWF as well as Delta Waterfowl. They are both important and very different in what they do.

Hope this clears this up.

Marc.

Ian F.
06-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Good on ya Marc!

Delta was awesome to deal with getting the hen houses in Pitt Marsh, they provided everything but the labour! I split my donations between Delta and DU every year, but really liked actually doing something I could show Hannah, versus my name in an annual report.

I do two birds a year for donation, if you get to the fund raising, or dinner level, just ask, I think a Harley would do well on the Republic of VI.

Ian

fowl language
06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
after being on the island and speaking on goose porblems that are there. you guys need a voice that will help with these issues and partner up with other groups as required.the only voice you have presently is bcwf and they cover all aspects of hunting and fishing so they are spread a little thin. waterfowler need a voice and for the most part in region 2 bcwf and dwf have worked together to support waterfowler so far... i,m a participating member in both and mostly inform bcwf of waterfowling items that come along as need attention.get on board, it all helps fella,s.....fowl

Chessieguy
06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I would be very interested Marc, I am moving to the island (leaving the East Coast tomorrow)
I have been on the Executive for the original Nova Delta committee here and would love to see a chapter started on the Island.

I was a committee chairman as well as Greenwing chairman for DU, for 10 plus years before making the move to Delta. While I am still a DU member, I find that they are a much more grassroots focused organization, and have a strong focus on increasing the recruitment of young hunters.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss in more detail.

Crazy_Farmer
06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Gotta agree

Well said.

Dan your talking apples and oranges here. The BCWF and Delta Waterfowl work together on several projects in BC.

Delta waterfowl was partially if not fully responsible for introducing the heritage hunts (waterfowl hunter recruitment) in several provinces. They also helped with the fight to keep areas open for hunting in the lower mainland. Remember that migratory limits and seasons are mostly controlled by the Federal Government and not Provincial. Delta Waterfowl is North America wide and do send money across the border to Canada for duck production and scientific research.

Delta is about preserving the waterfowl heritage (this is a pro waterfowling organization), increasing waterfowl populations through science based methods, and educating the general public.

I'm not trying to fraction nothing, if anything it would give the Island waterfowlers a stronger leg to stand on when issues come up like the resident goose population or bird watchers trying to shut down Dinsdale Farm and possibly Cowichan bay from hunting.

I support the BCWF as well as Delta Waterfowl. They are both important and very different in what they do.

Hope this clears this up.

Marc.

shotgunjohn
07-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Hey Marc;

Coincedence that Tanya and I just joined Delta Waterfowl.
Seem to be a little more ducks for local duck hunters oriented than D.U. Would definitly be interested.

07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I would for sure donate time to help.
Money as well, But i find time more rewarding to me. I can go home and know that i did something good.

Marc
07-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Just a bump and quick note on the progress. I've been contacted by Delta waterfowl last week and they just wanted to reassure me that they are there anytime I have any questions and wanted to let me know that they're there to support us in anything we need to get a chapter up and running.

I'm looking at putting a committee together with 6 to 12 people to help share the load so not one person is trying to run the whole thing. This isn't a democracy type organization and positions will be filled by nomination and then a vote from the committee if more then one person wants to fill a certain position. If any one is interested in getting involved with helping set up a and running a chapter on the south Island please fire me off an email at marc@huntingbc.ca or contact me by PM is fine as well.

Thanks!

Marc.