PDA

View Full Version : Calling Elk 101

BiG Boar
06-25-2010, 12:13 PM
ELK Calling 101

Mew or Low Mew, Roars, Bugles, Chuckles, Contact or Aggressive Grunts, and Gurgles. This all seems a tad too complex for the rookie hunter. Well it’s easier than you think to call elk. Almost anyone can do it; you just got to find the right one, with the right amount of points. If you call they will come.

4 types of calls for each of you to know:
1. For cows and young bulls; Distress Call or Fighting Squeal.
2. For any elk; Contact/Cow Mew, Fighting Squeal or Contact Grunt.
3. For any bull; Contact/Cow Mew, Contact Grunt, Fighting Squeal, Glug or non-dominant Bugle.
4. For dominant bulls; Social/Low Mew, Contact Grunt, Fighting Squeal, Loud Inhale/Exhale, Cough, Glug, Dominance Grunt, Gurgle, Growl, Roar, Bugle, Chuckle or Full Bugle Sequence.

1 - Tone your calling down to a more submissive level, don’t scare everything off.

2 - Raspy, growly calling can be counter-productive when hunting, actually scaring most bulls away.

3 - Be flexible; be willing and able to make instant adjustments when you are onto a bull. No two situations are exactly the same, so don’t get hung up on something that has worked before. Some bulls like it sporadically some like cow calling and bugling. Give him what he needs to hear.

4 - Be more careful with movement. Learn not be sloppy.

5 - Practice calling before the season starts. People will shoot bows and guns for months before the season starts to get good, but seldom pick up a call and practice. By the end of the season though they have the call mastered. You will be too late!

6 - Always carry a cow call and blow it every 100 yards or so if nothing is going on and your still hunting. You will break twigs and knock over rocks under foot so another elk might think you’re just a cow walking about.

7 - Don’t make human sounds. No metallic sounds from your gear. No talking. Whisper already or better yet, learn sign language.

8 - Use your sniffer. Elk like to bed just over the top of ridges. So smell for their barnyard smell and glass as you crest over a ridge.

9 - Cow calling can make a bull stand up, if you only smell them, they may come to check out the noise

10 - Calling in wind is tough. Get out of the wind. Other side of the hill, gullies, wherever you can hear a response.

11 - If hunting with a partner and using a locator bugle, get him to stand away 10 -15 feet as you bugle, your loud sound may cover the noise of a response, that may happen while you’re in the middle of your bugle.

12 - Keep at it. If you know there are elk in the area, never let your guard down. Sometimes you hunt for days and don’t hear a thing, and then all of a sudden he’s there. It’s just a matter of time, you will call bulls in.

13 - Get off the beaten path. Every hunter and their dog use the main areas near to the roads. Get in the thick stuff, the blow downs and bad necks of the woods. Elk that normally don’t respond to the most commonly called areas may respond better in those areas. Go to areas that aren’t easy. Down in a thick timber hole that people don’t think look easy to get an elk out of.

14 - Watch elk calling videos and learn the sounds. Even a bad caller can get responses.

15 - Learn how to react when elk respond to you.

16 - Watch the wind, and know where the elk want to be.

17 - Don’t call near noisy rivers as you may not hear responses.

18 - Bulls respond better to cow calls. Don’t use them sparingly. Elk use these calls talking between cow and calf all day long.

19 - Bugles can scare away heard bulls, and run off satellite bulls.

20 - Don’t put an obstacle like a deep river or swamp or cliffs in the way of elk coming to your call.

21 - Expect a response. This way you can act right away in getting set up or figuring out a plan.

22 - If you get a response to a type of call, bull or cow, make it more intense when you do it next time.

23 - Don’t overcall as he comes in. You will be pin pointed rather than having him look for you.

24 - Only bugle for a challenge if in really close range of a herd bull. Be in a wooded area.

25 - A fighting squeal can be used to call in entire herds of cow/calf coming to figure out what all the ruckus is. Sometimes the bull will follow them over and then try to round them up.

26 - If you hear a bugle a mile away, don’t get all excited and start bugling. The lead cow in the herd might move the herd away from your herd. Instead close the gap first. Watch for cow that might bust you. Try to get within a couple hundred yards before making a sound if possible.

27 - Have your shooter set up between the herd and you calling. Then move around back there and call. Left right and what not.

28 - Bulls are more aggressive at the beginning of the rut. Use more cow calls near the end of the rut when the bulls aren’t so aggressive.

29 - Elk like to approach using cover. Don’t expect them to be in the open.

30 - Learn what type of calling works during the time you are heading in. Pre rut, rut, post rut, late season.

31 - Try to match the sounds of the bull you are calling. If they are screaming loud. Scream loud. If they are chuckling, then chuckle.

32 - A lot of bulls ignore bugles as every hunter and his dog has one and they have learned not to respond.

33 - If you start bugling in another hunter, really screw with him and try to convince him you’re a nice big tasty bull. Then start calling, “shoot me! Shoot me!” See how pissed off he gets. Then hide and watch him get angry.

34 - Use any products like scents and decoys if you can to attract elk, more so if calling from a stand.

BiG Boar
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I have never owned an elk call or called one in, nor have I purchased an elk tag, but I have read a lot in the last while about it, and I tried to gather up the important tips. I am not afraid to get out there and give it a try though. So please add to this. Tell me if I wrong. I just think this can be encouraging to new elk hunters to hear that it really isnt impossible, I mean if 1947 can be as unlucky as he is and shoot an elk each year, so can you.

Barracuda
06-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Just remember that you also run the risk of calling in other elk hunters in high pressure areas! LOL

GoatGuy
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
This ought to be an interesting thread.

My 'question' would be, under what circumstances do bull elk bugle?

pg83
06-25-2010, 03:19 PM
thanks again Bigbore for these threads. Very informative stuff. Look forward to hearing from the others as well.

afors
06-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Awesome info, I was going to post a thread regarding elk calling and what you experiences were. What has worked what hasn't etc.

A question I have is what calls (Brand/Type) have you found to be the best from your experience, and for what reasons - Easy to use, very real sounds, etc.

killman
06-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Awesome info, I was going to post a thread regarding elk calling and what you experiences were. What has worked what hasn't etc.

A question I have is what calls (Brand/Type) have you found to be the best from your experience, and for what reasons - Easy to use, very real sounds, etc.

Yes tell us your favorite calls or better yet someone who knows calls make a poll so everyone can pick their favorite.

afors
06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes tell us your favorite calls or better yet someone who knows calls make a poll so everyone can pick their favorite.

I have no idea, looking forward to hearing from people with experience.

Surrey Boy
06-25-2010, 09:22 PM
thanks again Bigbore for these threads. Very informative stuff. Look forward to hearing from the others as well.

Amen to that!

ianwuzhere
06-25-2010, 09:33 PM
how do i call a big bull into the back of my truck??

moosinaround
06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I bugle to locate the bull in the rut, then I will cow call and watch the wind. If he hangs up I will then try the squeeky calls or small bull sounds. I like to cow call a bit more than bugling. I am not sure of my techniques though as I have yet to kill an elk by myself. I have called the bulls in to shooting range, and I have called in hunters as well, so it must be not too bad??!! Moosin

hunter1947
06-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Many of times on elk hunts I thought that I was going to go home skunked it was only the last day on a few hunts that I got lucky.

With the experience I have hunting elk is when you know when to call and when not to call you learn this after hunting them for years.

I know when I hear a bugle if it is the real thing or a hunter calling I just now between the two what is real and what is not.

I will tell you this I put many miles on foot and I see elk but not one that is a keeper ,I work very hard trying to find a bull that has 6 points on one side.

Last year hunters where shooting bulls from the road I really started to get ticked off ,I said all the leather work I have been putting in up the hills and these hunters are shooting these bulls from the road :evil:.

2009 and 5 days to go for elk for me sitting down at the fire one evening all by myself having a drink of Alberta Premium I said to myself maybe I should do what they are doing and that is road hunt and scope the slashes from the truck ,well that is exactly how I got my bull with two days left in my hunt...

I just hate road hunting but sometimes a person has to go with the flow if he wants to get what he is after.

As far as bugling goes and cow calling I just go with what I think I should at the time it might be a chuckle ,cow chirp ,low ton bugle ,high ton bugle ,cow in distress ,or a hyper hot cow call etc.

I hear a bull scream I copy his call this works for me he comes on to me I give her right back in his face ,he shuts up I do the same.

I let him give himself away rather then me this way I know if he is coming in ,after he gives him self away from a call then I give a call right back to him ,this is elk hunting at its best when a bull is coming in on you screaming his head off like a spoiled kid H-47 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

CanuckShooter
06-26-2010, 06:14 AM
One other thing...when the bull is bugling in response to your calls you can move in on them, just check the wind and move when they are making noise. My first time we bugled and called back and forth for 45 minutes without the bull showing himself, I now go get 'em.:-D

moosinaround
06-26-2010, 06:34 AM
One other thing...when the bull is bugling in response to your calls you can move in on them, just check the wind and move when they are making noise. My first time we bugled and called back and forth for 45 minutes without the bull showing himself, I now go get 'em.:-D
Yup, I try to do the same, just started that last year! My buddy who got me into elk hunting told me that was his secret, and he gets an elk every year! Moosin

killman
06-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Yup, I try to do the same, just started that last year! My buddy who got me into elk hunting told me that was his secret, and he gets an elk every year! Moosin

I guess it's not a secret anymore!:wink:

CanuckShooter
06-26-2010, 08:51 AM
AND, if you are moving in on a bull and find yourself in amongst a bunch of cows..stay there, don't leave...he will come back.....:-D

Rymar
06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
ive always started with a locater bugle when you first get into an area, once you get a response its time to make a plan of attack and what your options are for cover in a set up to draw him in or if you should move in on him depending where he is, with either situation i periodically cow call to draw him in or cover my noise, always keepin an eye on wind direction, i have found when drawing a bull in he will always try to get down wind of you to figure you out..so wind is hugde..sents work great....i mainly use the cow call other than the location bugle or if he is really bugling and challanging....i use a "Primos Bull Horn" bugle, real easy and sounds very realistic and a "Primos Cow Girl" also very easy, realistic and you can get the veried cow calls outta it

Rymar

GoatGuy
06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
This ought to be an interesting thread.

My 'question' would be, under what circumstances do bull elk bugle?

Anyone gonna bite?

BiG Boar
06-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyone gonna bite?
Elk bugle to define territory and the loudest bugles attract females.

hunter1947
06-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I have got in close to herd bulls many of times and most times when I give a bugle he herds his cows out ASAP ,more times then not he does not stick around for long ,lets face it would you leave your gals open for a new guy to take over them ,I would say not.

Most times you don't no if you are dealing with a herd bull when you are hunting in black timber ,when I know that I am dealing with a herd bull is when I hear cows chirping or I see the herd from a long distance away with Mr big around the cows..

GoatGuy
06-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I have got in close to herd bulls many of times and most times when I give a bugle he herds his cows out ASAP ,more times then not he does not stick around for long ,lets face it would you leave your gals open for a new guy to take over them ,I would say not.

Most times you don't no if you are dealing with a herd bull when you are hunting in black timber ,when i know when I am dealing with a herd bull is when I hear cows chirping or I see the herd from a long distance away..

So how do you get the herd bull?

Is it only the herd bull that ends up near cows?

GoatGuy
06-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Elk bugle to define territory and the loudest bugles attract females.

Why else will they bugle?

Do the 'loudest' bugles attract females or do they attract hunters?

hunter1947
06-26-2010, 05:43 PM
So how do you get the herd bull?

Is it only the herd bull that ends up near cows?

By playing it smart I let him give himself away then I shut up and sneak in to see if he is a keeper or if I see a herd bull with a bunch of cows at a long distance I will make sure he is a 6 point then I figure out how to close the distance between him and me.

No the herd bull is not the only bull around this herd ,there might be 4 others that are in this same herd but the herd bull keeps them to the outside of the herd ,they might only be a 100 yards from the main herd these bulls are called satellite bulls.

Sometimes a satellite bull can have a bigger rack on him but has not got the toughness in him to beat out the herd bull that is holding the cows..

When I work the black timber I will let go a few location bugles and see if I get a reply but most of the time I will cow call ,80% cow calling and 20% bugle.

This what I do when in big timber I set up a good vantage point cow call 6 times in different directions wait for 10 min an if nothing continue on for a short distance and do the same thing again ,I keep doing this during my timber hunt.

I will give a full not bugle about every 30 min just to see if a bull will reply back to me and if he does I shut up and move in on him as quick as I can and if he calls again I will give a few chuckles not a full note bugle.

If he is a herd bull I don't want him to think I am Mr big if he thinks I am he just might put to valleys between me and him taking his cows with him..