PDA

View Full Version : mcnab access

fuzzy
06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
good evening

i have been looking at the synopsis lately and the mcnab, wood fibre mill area, specifically unit 2-05 zone f has really peaked my interest. i am the first to admit i am a total newbie and am trying to be a sponge and soak up as much as i can. what is access like for this area? can you take a ferry to woodfibre and then park and hike your ass off to the power line and lurk around there? or should i be getting my paws on a boat and just access inlets and the like. any and all help is appreciated.

thanks

fuzzy

Gateholio
06-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Do you have an elk draw there?

ryanb
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow. This post sure throws up some red flags... Do you have a draw? what are you wanting to hunt? By mentioning zone f, you imply elk, yet you say you have only looked at the synopsis....

fuzzy
06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
as i stated before i am a newbie, been out a couple of times for deer never got anything but really enjoy myself and being out putting some miles on my boots.

long story short i was supposed to go in on a an elk draw with my cousins husband for the island, they seperated and there is bad blood flowing right now, i look at synopsis and my empty leh application and figure what the hell i paid my money i might as well write something down. something in the back of my mind twigged that there is a ferry to woodfiber( i am probably wrong) and with a power line runnning through the area i also figured that there would be some decent open areas for glassing. i do have other family members that are fairly experienced hunters and will be joined by at least one of them, they just dont know yet.

so yes i have an leh for mcnab 2-05 f

my reluctance to initially state that i got an leh and am so far totally blind to the area isnt all that suprising considering some peoples reactions and attitudes regarding newbies. i also totally understand the reactions and attitudes toward newbies as almost every hobby i have ever had has some sort of experience and knowledge based hiearchy whether appropriate or not.

any and all advice is appreciated and i have some damned thick skin so pile it on!!

fuzzy

22savage
06-24-2010, 10:47 PM
There was a dock at mcnab creek not sure if it is still there ,it is boat access only .There is some fair deer hunting in there ,you need to get a quad in or access to the company work trucks to cover the area .It can also be accessed from salmon inlet from camp L a small landing before you get to clowhom lake . If you can get into this area in november you should fill your deer tags with out much trouble and some fairly decent bucks too.

d6dan
06-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Fuzzy, here's a bull from Mcnabb ck taken last year..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41257&highlight=Mcnabb

edg
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
There is no ferry to Woodfibre, the mill closed in 2006.You might ask the mill in Port Melon for access.

laredo318
06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
The dock at Mcnab is a private one. There is a community of owners that own the area. You would be best to find one, and ask permission. There is the estuary, but limited access. The ferry to Woodfibre does not run any more. ( unless I am mistaken, it was a private one for staff only anyway)

22savage
06-25-2010, 11:12 AM
There was a dock at the logging camp at mc nab ,got a buddy who works in there will try and get you some info.

fuzzy
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
thanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it, please keep it coming

fuzzy

beanshooter
06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
I was looking at this draw as well. Based on google earth, it looks like you can take the horseshoe bay ferry to langdale, highway north to port melon, then back down a logging road and over into zone f. I haven't tried yet but if you do you'll need a solid 4x4. Even though I didn't get the draw I may head over there just to explore this summer.

fuzzy
06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
i have a mildly built lwb samurai i am putting back on the road, a capable 4x4 will not be an issue. keep the info coming guys

thanks fuzzy

pg83
06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Dunno about that particular road, but most logging roads on the sunshine coast are gated.

Mr. Dean
06-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I know that ~20 years ago, one COULD drive all the way around the inlet.... No clue about doing it today. Gibson Folks should know.

22savage
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Any of you sunshine coast guys have any info on access to mcnab from camp L (between the old bible camp and clowhome lake).It is by the power line's that cross the Salmon Inlet.Is there a dock there ,or any other info would be great . Thanks in advance for any info

brno375
07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Maybe I'll bump into the two of you...

cwocarsten
07-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Call Darryl Reynolds, he'll set you up on where to find your elk. Don't have his # handy, but I met him when we did RMEF banquets in Chwk and when he did the Elk transplant to Pitt Lake. A few of us got to go along. He is good about helping out the hunters as he oversees the Schelt Elk.

fuzzy
07-03-2010, 08:13 AM
thanks for the continued response, i will be sure to give darryl a shout if i can find his number.

fuzzy

fuzzy
07-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Any of you sunshine coast guys have any info on access to mcnab from camp L (between the old bible camp and clowhome lake).It is by the power line's that cross the Salmon Inlet.Is there a dock there ,or any other info would be great . Thanks in advance for any info

i am pretty sure there is still road access to at least the bible camp, as to the road from squamish to the sunshine coast, there may have been one at somepoint but there is no vehicle access nowadays, that particular topic has been beat to death on preetty much every quad and 4x4 forum in south western bc.

fuzzzy

Mauser98
07-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Ah yes. The mythical road to Squamish:-D. It never existed. There's a pipeline and hydro lines but no road.

Also, it's not possible to drive a 4X4 to McNab Crk from Post Mellon.

FWIW, there has been a fair amount of road deactivation in McNab/Sechelt Creeks but I don't have any information of specifics. It may not be possible to drive from Camp L over to McNab.