PDA

View Full Version : starting a fire

uraarchr
06-24-2010, 07:53 PM
got a fire steel in the last year.anyone ever practice ? i always carry a bic or two or even three.tried it a few times when out w my son(7 1/2 yr old)shed hunting or just out enjoying the outdoors.sometimes it seems easy to start a fire;sometimes not as easy.i can imagine in a emerg or survival situation it might be tougher(wet,cold injured etc..).like other things we do its prob a good thing to practice and master so that when we really need it we are up to it.plus to my son it was awesome(he loves survivorman & man vs wild and all outdooors related stuff)just a thought for those who think they might need it someday?

cloverphil
06-24-2010, 08:01 PM
BimmerBob showed me something this spring you may wanna look for when starting a fire,

in the core of most any rotten stumps is a wood that collects all the sap/pitch; breaking away the rotten wood you will come to a core of crystalized sap/pitch wood, which has a noticable aroma and look to it

called pitch wood, it burns like gas soaked q-tips and can be found most anywhere in the bush, when shaved with a knife, starting a fire could not be easier, assuming you have a bic lighter handy

Plincker
06-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I always keep a wad of cotton wool with my flint stick in a ziplock bag. Weighs nothing and when a spark hits the cotton wool it catches great!

Billyisgr8
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Cotton balls soaked in vasoline, it lights just as fast as plain old cotton with the sparks from fire steel. A little cotton in vasoline ball burns for 5 - 8 minutes. Plenty of time to get the rest of the fire going. Try some, you will be shocked how long and easy something so simple burns for.

uraarchr
06-24-2010, 08:56 PM
thanks guys .thats why i love this site!

RiverOtter
06-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I carry those unscented "fibre type" fire starter sticks, along with a bic lighter in my jacket, fanny pack and main pack. A little zip-loc bag with a lighter and some birch paper is another great fire starter.

NorthShoreX
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Steel wool burns like a muther. I like to use lichen, the long light green type that hangs from trees (looks like hair). One match or magnesium shavings and you've got a fire.

srupp
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Ive been using the vasoline soaked cotton and it works like a "HOT "damn...even in apretty significant rain fall..

steven

Amphibious
06-25-2010, 03:58 AM
first off - get your kid off Survivor Ham and Man vs. Ego. Introduce him to Ray Mears and he'll learn a lot more.

I carry the magnesium block/spark rod combo they issue USAF pilots. these are readily available for a few dollars in most camping store. work when wet, and are self contained unit, the magnesium burns at 2200C. failing that, I've made fire from wood drills/bows many times. I never carry any pre-made fire starters, there is always tinder around if you know where to look. yes, even on the coast. although I do keep a little peice of bicycle innertube around my belt when I'm in the bush - Kiwi dearhunter's trick i'm told? little strip burns very well, even when wet.

Farmer001
06-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Used a couple of things, first start out with cardboard egg crate. Fill with either wood chip, preferably cedar or lint from your dryer. Install a wick then cover with hot wax, burns for a few minutes in times when the wood is wet and need a little more long lasting heat. The dryer lint really takes off, makes sense why so many house fires start in the dryer, started cleaning mine every year after I did this.:eek:

boxhitch
06-25-2010, 06:02 AM
like other things we do its prob a good thing to practice and master so that when we really need it we are up to it.plus to my son it was awesomeThat right there is the only reason needed.
Any bush skills you can play at will do The Boy a favor in the long run.

ytlogger
06-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Dryer lint, especially with fabric softener residue catches like gas... all those years of wasted lint, who knew. It's dry and relatively clean so it will support the sparks from your device, whatever kind you use and hey, you were just going to throw it out anyway. With enough heat those 'dry' willow and dwarf birch twigs will burn, but you can use up a lot of time and energy finding tinder when you are above timberline in fog/rain and snow.
Mag sticks and those Swedish army strikers work in all conditions but Bics and those nifty little butane torches(if they aren't frozen or saturated) are number one in firestarting.

ytlogger
06-25-2010, 06:14 AM
That right there is the only reason needed.
Any bush skills you can play at will do The Boy a favor in the long run.

You only have about 6 years before he decides that you can barely summon enough wits to keep your pants up, so make the best of it!

358win
06-25-2010, 06:59 AM
My daughter & I carry one of these
& 1/2 dozzen wax blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRKzdSXH34

Gun Babe
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
first off - get your kid off Survivor Ham and Man vs. Ego. Introduce him to Ray Mears and he'll learn a lot more.

I totally agree, Ray Mears is one of the best to learn from.

A good website to check out is www.survivalbill.ca (http://www.survivalbill.ca) You can learn a lot from this site.

I also agree with the dryer lint route, does not cost a thing and takes up little space in a baggie....

Most important is to get out and practice, not just with making fire, but making shelters, using the items you carry in your pack ect....

rocketrob
06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
i carry a tube of coghilan's fire paste in my backpack.quick and easy to use ,works great at -35c.

06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Paraffin soaked toilet paper, cut off strips, works great under a fine bed of tiny twiggs or dried grass. Note that the fine twiggs from fir or pines close to the main tree are usually very dry and brittle, the more the better.
Work your way up to larger pieces gradually.
Vavooooom!

CT

BCrams
06-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Take fine steel wool and rub the end of a nine volt battery across the steel wool.

Works like a hot damn but it isn't something I pack though.

Roots
06-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I also carry dryer lint - doesn't weigh anything and is an excellent fire starter! Also, a few strips of rubber tubbing in a survival kit is a good idea, as it burns nicely even if it's pissing rain.

jsdboy
06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Ever tried Hawkin's cheesies? I always carry a small pack with me. they burn frightening fast and hot, and if i don't use em, i eat em:mrgreen:
A first nations guy taught me this trick (true). give em a try

mrc
06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
personaly I like the gasoline method, Never had a problem!

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Take fine steel wool and rub the end of a nine volt battery across the steel wool.

Works like a hot damn but it isn't something I pack though.

You forgot to mention duct tape....at least here on HBC:wink:.

I carry cotton balls soaked in vaseline but have heard fine steel wool soaked in vaseline works even better.

SSS

BCrams
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
You forgot to mention duct tape....at least here on HBC:wink:.

SSS

Lol :-D

A small piece of duct tape works awsome and is part of the 'arsenal' so to speak already.

northof49
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Don't know if anyone has tried this, I haven't but heard about it some time ago. If no ignition source, can pull a bullet out of a round with your leatherman and dump powder onto your vasoline patch, lint, fines etc. Then put the empty round (with primer only) into your gun and fire towards the powder. Might blow things around a little bit, but will ignite powder on the vas patch. Can leave a little powder in the cartridge for more ignnition if needed. Haven't tried it but always figured it would work in a pinch. Maybe that's why they call it a heater!

swampdonkey
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
coffee mate :-D or diesel