PDA

View Full Version : arrows are kicking out

Rob
06-24-2010, 07:07 PM
noticing my arrows have been kicking out to the right. My groups seem ok. Im using a whisker bisket. I also have split 2 arrows just at the nock, using carbon express predator 2 arrows. any thoughts? thanks rob

jessbennett
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
noticing my arrows have been kicking out to the right. My groups seem ok. Im using a whisker bisket. I also have split 2 arrows just at the nock, using carbon express predator 2 arrows. any thoughts? thanks rob

i would check your centershot and to make sure your rest is centered.
and yes your spine could be off for sure. as stated below.

Ruger4
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
whats your arrow length and spine Rob ?

Rob
06-24-2010, 07:20 PM
29" and my draw is 26.5. what is the spine?

Jagermeister
06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Rob, I think that those Predator II Carbon Express arrows are too light for the poundage that you are shooting. I suggest that you stop shooting them until you can determine the spine of the arrows.
Arrow spine is the degree of stiffness. You should not be shooting an arrow of less than 5 grains per pound of draw weight. The bow you have should tell you what the minimum arrow weight should be, that includes arrow head, fletching and inserts. I would think that your bow would have a minimum of 360 grain arrow weight and should be indicated on the label on the lower limb.

Jagermeister
06-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Predator II Carbon Express arrows come in 2 series, Model 2040 and 3050.
The 2040 is meant for bows in the range of 20 to 40# and the 3050 is meant for bows in the 30 to 50 # range. Since you are shooting at 53# and above, either of these models are not suitable for you and can be dangerous. Take them back to who you got them from and request heavier arrows. I would go so far as to say that the person selling you the arrows is negligent if that person recommended those arrows.

BowSitter
06-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Rob, the predator arrows need to be the 4560's in order to get a spine that will work at 53lbs.(they are a bit stiff at 53lbs but it sounds like you will be increasing the weight soon anyway) that is if you are using 100 grain field points and a 29" arrow. You can use the 4560's right up to 63lbs.
That is according to Archers Advantage and your 26.5 draw.

Rob
06-25-2010, 06:10 AM
The shaft says its 6075. so according to the website the spine is .344 and 9.7 grs/inch. So my poundage may be too light?

hardnocks
06-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Those arrows are stiff . but i would think your rest is not center . google walk back tuning thats pretty simple way of tuning.

saddlemaker
06-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Rob,

You can bring your bow by my shop if you want and I can check it out.

Andy

Right beside the Tenniscourts in Lower NIcola.

Rob
06-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Sounds good, whats a good time. Im just down on Turner.

saddlemaker
06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
This morning works. callme 378 5733

swamper
06-25-2010, 07:53 AM
First of all, quit using the Carbon Express and go to Goldtips. I had nothing but trouble with the CE's. Switched to GT's and stopped splitting arrow. At 53# you would use a 3555. Once you go over 55# then you need 5575's. The arrows you are using are way too stiff for your poundage and you need to take your bow to a good shop and have it tuned properly.

Ruger4
06-25-2010, 08:30 AM
First of all, quit using the Carbon Express and go to Goldtips. I had nothing but trouble with the CE's. Switched to GT's and stopped splitting arrow. At 53# you would use a 3555. Once you go over 55# then you need 5575's. The arrows you are using are way too stiff for your poundage and you need to take your bow to a good shop and have it tuned properly.

x2 on that swamper and 2x on Gold Tips , great choice for pretty much everything

Bow Walker
06-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Rob, I agree with those saying that your using an arrow that is too weak. It's like trying to shoot with a wet noodle. Impossible to be accurate.

As for the Gold Tips - they are THE best arrow, and they're relatively inexpensive. You simply cannot beat that combo. Gold Tips are very tough. I know, I've been abusing them for over 15 years now.

About your draw length vs your actual arrow length. One good way to stiffen those 29" arrows would be to cut them down - make them shorter. Since the Whisker Biscuit is mounted behind the riser (usually about 2 - 3 inches) you should be able to cut down those noodles to where they will be much stiffer and much safe.

Just a thought.

The Hermit
06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
If you plan to hunt with the bow then consider that cutting them down reduces weight = reduced KE and penetration. Get the GT's in the correct spine, put a length of nylon rope in them to add weight, go with a 125 gr solid one-piece, cut-on-contact broadhead and you are golden! ;-) JMHO

Rob
06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
thanks for the advice. Ill find what I need and order some gold tips. I was planning on uping the poundage to 55 or so anyway. Guess I should keep this in mind when ordering the new ones. Rob

Rob
06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
went out shooting last night had 2 more arrows split back by the knock(4 out of 12), and lost one knock in flight:confused:. Returned them and bought a doz. gold tip hunters. Hoping these are better. (thanks for the help Huntwriter). Rob

Bow Walker
06-27-2010, 09:21 PM
If your nocks are continually loose try putting a single layer of Saran Wrap over the nock end of the arow shaft before you push in the nock. It'll give you a tighter fit but it wil still let you index the nocks.

Although I've yet to see where GT nocks are loos in GT shafts, so you should be OK with the GT HUnters.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
every GT shaft I have I use Easton Componts in (except my 6 year daughters).. Uni Bushing and G-nocks ...the CB components are sized right for the job.

as for the original problem ....

check out this link ... for right handed shooters
if your tail is right .. either you have a center shot issue or a stiff arrow ... I suspect you have too stiff of an arrow tho

http://www.sabowhunter.co.za/static_client/show?page_id=107