PDA

View Full Version : Calling Moose 101

BiG Boar
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
How to call moose by Bigbore

First off - Patience is key, this may take minutes, it may take hours, or even days. Keep doing these steps and you will have bulls come in.

Best time to use a moose call is during the moose rut, in northern BC it is typically the last week of September and the first week of October.

Find a lookout (a ridge beside a lake, or any area where you see fresh moose sign) Hopefully you can see for a ways.

Hang scent holding sticks (tampons work) with cow in heat scent from where you will be calling

Sequence #1

Call 2-300 yards from the lookout. Call from a high point on the ground so your voice carries (a log or a rock formation or a burn pile).

Start calling softly in-case there is a moose nearby, then increase your volume. Use brush thrashing, and a combination of bull grunts and cow calls.

The actual sound isn’t as important as HAVING PATIENCE and not overcalling.

Call (bull grunts and cow calls) and brush thrash (rake an old moose antler, or another dead stick, or your birch bark funnel on some willow and small trees) for 2-3 minutes

Glass area (moose can come in quietly)

Listen and wait quietly for 5-10 minutes, you are listening for a bulls grunt or maybe some thrashing of bushes.

Repeat sequence #1 for 20-40 minutes

After you have repeated sequence #1 for 20-40 minutes go and sit on your lookout for 3-5 hours, 2-300 yards from where you were actually calling.

Morning before dark and starting in the afternoon around 3pm till dark

A cow decoy can be helpful, place it where you will be calling from if you have one.

If a bull comes in, switch to mostly bull grunts. Why? When a cow is in heat and calling, she is likely calling because the bull she has with her is a dink and she wants a real swamp donkey. Once she notices the new bulls presence she mostly shuts up. However the bull with her (you) will continue to grunt.

When grunting, use a higher pitched grunt than the bull who is coming in. It makes you sound smaller and he is more likely to come in and challenge.

Use caution, as these big angry bulls all rutted up can kill you easily, also be aware you may be calling in other hunters, or bears.

The use of wooden paddles, cutout plywood shaped like moose antlers, or old sheds, or even your hands held out and above the head may make the coming bull think you’re just another moose, and disguise your presence, their eyesight is good, however they are blinded by your love moans.

If he is heading nearer to the road, or on a road preferably, shoot him there rather than in a swamp, you will thank me later.

Now all this being said, I have extensivley researched this topic, and I had yet to find a great explination on how to call them. Learning the grunt sounds and moans is easy, lots of videos on the web for that, but I was having a hard time finding the explaination on how to use the calls effectivley.

Also, I have never actually called in a moose or seen one called in(other than in a lot of videos, and talking to hunters who have had success), so if something on here is wrong, or you would like to add another idea, please go ahead, I am open to ideas.

This is just something I thought I would put together so that all the newbies could see how it can be done, and hopefully with some patience we call all whack some big moose this year.

Steeleco
06-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks Teach!! Can you make it so only teenagers show up. I can find big bulls it seems, just not the brats!!

yukon john
06-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Ive called in dozens, some right into 10 yards. Your article sounds really good. I usually call right from my lookout, I like to use a cow call, start of light, like you said then wait 20 minutes and give a loud cow call, then give it 20-30 minutes in between calls. Like you said the biggest mistake is over calling, especially if you can see a bull and he doesnt seem interested. Give him time and stick to the schedule. I usually only bull call if a bull has come into a cow call and then hung up in the bush. Then I give 3-5 consecutive bull calls then rake the bush with someone elses synthetic stock :-D If the bull is answering rowhat, rowhat, rowat, then I call at the same pace he is. Dont worry if your bull call isnt perfect, there is a huge variation of calls between bulls and even with an individual. There ability to hear calls amazes me, I have watched them respond from over a mile in high wind, I think the paddles act like big ears, and they can pinpoint your spot from one call. Lots of guys only use bull calls, they are easier to learn, but dont carry near as far. Another thing to remember is dont call a bull you just found by glassing, calling should be used to attract bulls you cant see or as a last resort on a bull that leaving. You dont know if a bull has just been whipped and is scared of another bull call or sometimes his cows might be back in the bush and when they hear another cow they might leave and pull the bull with them. Cows have a pecking order to and the maitriarch doesnt always appreciate more competition
This is all for moose, I dont know a darn thing about elk :confused: once again great article!

srupp
06-24-2010, 11:01 AM
hmmm start low..but later as loud as you can go..if you have heard a cow in heat she easily can be heard from KILOMETERS AWAY...watched and listened to many but the advanced course given on TESLIN LAKE a few years back was unbelievable..that old gal could belt a lovesick tune heard for many many many kms..

Last year called in 14 bulls in 4 days..brought one from 1.5 kilometers to w/i 40 yards of the lake,,always thrilling to hear that first reply..

Moose travel ALONG long lakes maybe 1st maybe 2nd maybe 3rd bench up..however they come TO round lakes...check it out..it works..

Its pretty certain a cow call will bring in "a bull" usually the big noyz are alreay hooked up..if you can see thats the casee try to upset the bull with another bull challenge call..bull call...

have video of moose @ 10 yards wondering where the lovely lady is...

Steven:-D

yukon john
06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
hmmm start low..but later as loud as you can go..if you have heard a cow in heat she easily can be heard from KILOMETERS AWAY...watched and listened to many but the advanced course given on TESLIN LAKE a few years back was unbelievable..that old gal could belt a lovesick tune heard for many many many kms..

Last year called in 14 bulls in 4 days..brought one from 1.5 kilometers to w/i 40 yards of the lake,,always thrilling to hear that first reply..

Moose travel ALONG long lakes maybe 1st maybe 2nd maybe 3rd bench up..however they come TO round lakes...check it out..it works..

Its pretty certain a cow call will bring in "a bull" usually the big noyz are alreay hooked up..if you can see thats the casee try to upset the bull with another bull challenge call..bull call...

have video of moose @ 10 yards wondering where the lovely lady is...

Steven:-D

good advice steven, but I have heard cows call very faintly when they knew something (me on a horse) was real close, the call couldnt have been heard more then 100 yards, I'm not saying start with a meow, but the first call doesnt need to be the teeth rattling moan that you would use to call long distances

demlake
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the information.

All I was able to get to respond last year was a pack of wolves.

They didn't come to investigate though.

I'll keep practicing.

Roots
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming!

Also, does anyone have the Gouthro's Moose Madness series? Would you recommend it?

BimmerBob
06-24-2010, 12:21 PM
This is a great thread Dave! This is the kind of stuff that helps hunters gain the confidence to give it a try. Does anybody have any links to the sounds of the various calls?

I know they are around but if someone has done the work to collect some files this would be a great place to put them up...

Steeleco
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Bob try this site: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Moose_Sounds_audio_clips.aspx

Got the dog excited!!

BiG Boar
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
I bought a moose calling DVD that is current. Worst calling DVD I have ever seen or heard. I mean it was crap. Not that it wouldnt work, its just that this process wasnt laid out. This was compiled from listening to many peoples opinions and then put into my own words, for how to call properly. Thanks for the tips so far guys, keep em coming. Maybe if this works up north, I will make my own DVD and get all famous.

06-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmmm, 20-30 min between calls.
I have been calling for about 10 years. I dont consider myself a pro. I only wait 10min. I was taught this by my friend who was taught by a trapper in PG. I only cow call to attract the bulls then switch to a bull to finish them off. The call I do is a three part groan in a low -high -medium pitch.With a stop of a couple seconds in between.As well as long- medium-short duration. And i dont bush bash.

I might be wrong with this but I am trying to not have a major bull presance because i dont want to put off the small bulls. Hence switching to bull at the end. I am not pickey to the size of the bull i shoot. I feel if you stay with the cow call and no bull you have a better chance of getting a bullwinkle to come out. He wont come if he thinks there is a big bull around.

The other thing I do is point your head at the ground then sweep it up high and back to the ground. This i feel "throws" it better.

I have called 40" bulls to the tree my stand is in before with this. And I feel confidant. And most definatly dont give up, You will sound like an idiot if you are doing it right so dont think your doing it wrong :)

oh ya i use my hands

BigfishCanada
06-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Will Bull moose come to calls in Nov? We have a Bull Moose LEH and wonder if we should try calling this time of year?

Roots
06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
If I were a horny moose, I'd come running to his calls...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36q8sHC6Kg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwEgosmB9lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickwZpNGL0o

06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Will Bull moose come to calls in Nov? We have a Bull Moose LEH and wonder if we should try calling this time of year?

I would suspect not. You might get a smaller bull out but im sure the most of them will be resting.

But never say never. If you do you will be proven wrong!

Caribou_lou
06-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I had great success last season with calling in bulls. Mostly due to the weather being perfect for calling. No wind, cold and crisp. I had 8 bulls come in for me in 4 days. heard many answers also. Took my bull opening morning at 11 yards with my bow last season. Called in another to 8 yards for a friend of mine.

I don't dissagree with any of your pointers but I go about it a little differntly. I first go to the area I am going to call, Then wait 5-10 minutes and just listen. If you can locate a moose before you start calling you already have the upper hand. Then I start off with a short loud cow call, Then listen for 10-15 seconds. If there is a bull nearby, He will answer after the first call. If nothing then I will call two loud longer cow calls. Then wait 5-10 mins for an answer. repeat a couple times, if no answers, I move on. I don't like waisting great mornings in one spot. If it is late sept, early october, and there is a bull in the area and he hears your call. He will answer. If there is a bull with cows he will answer, then you may hear the cows start calling after. Once I hear the cows answer I switch to a bull grunt and try to close the distance. This strategy ussually gets them going, especially the larger bulls. I always go back and check out the spots I called earlier. See if there are any new tracks after I have called there.

I myself have never tried scent for the moose, always hunt into the wind.

Just some tips from my experiences. Good thread.

Caribou_lou
06-24-2010, 01:08 PM

I called one in once Nov 23. He came to 30 yards. But I wouldn't try that if I was hunting for them. Target high elevation areas, where the snow pack will push them down. Lakes can be productive also in November. Easy to spot on a snow lined shoreline.

BiG Boar
06-24-2010, 01:30 PM
And i dont bush bash.

I might be wrong with this but I am trying to not have a major bull presance because i dont want to put off the small bulls.

Seems like a lot of people do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkD1UpTpbdU&feature=related

Technique to raking

Brush a moose antler, an oar, a shoulder blade from a cow or moose, or a big dry stick up and down willows, trying to sound like the hollow rattling sound a moose antler makes.

Also, stomping in a puddle if you're on a lake shore works with the raking.

Purposes:

1. It attracts cows. They hear a big bull and want to go to mate with it. Which then attract bulls.

2. If there are a couple bulls fighting over the area, they will hear the raking an go to investigate. If you see a bigger bull coming in, you make the sound bigger and louder to try to get him to fight. And if you think a smaller one is in the area, you can use a light raking, simulating small horns that he should be able to compete with, but not scare him off. As they start raking, you start raking halfway through his so that when hes finished he hears your still going. If you dont rake you may not call in the big boys. They hear the raking and cant resist.

3. If you call a bull in and he just hangs up, in a bad spot, or out of sight, its likley because he doesnt hear that bull that is supposed to be there. When they stop, start raking, and switch to bull grunts to re-energize him and convince him to come in.

Once bulls have cows with them, usually october, you have to get more agressive with your calling to bring them around. Cow calling works fine early in the season alone.

Slinky Pickle
06-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming!

Also, does anyone have the Gouthro's Moose Madness series? Would you recommend it?

I have the Moose Madness series. It's kind of tough to get through because he's probably a much better moose caller than video producer. Having said that, I learned a lot from watching it and I would say if you can afford the cash outlay then go for it.

06-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Never thought to rake, mind you my call is totally differant as well.

Maybe next tag i'll try it. I have seen it done as you say with sheads and small antlers and paddles as well. Trouble is it is hard to change when what you are doing is working. This doesnt mean i am not missing out on big bulls though! and can improve my technique.

But to put all this in perspective. Back in New foundland there was a bulwinkle that kept swimming out to a lighthouse because the foghorn made him ...well..... horny!

It is good hearing other peoples techniques because you can change what you do and try something new. You wont learn much if you stick yourself in a rut! hah ahahaha get it .... a RUT!

BiG Boar
06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I will compile all of these tips people are giving into one msg, for people to print off and take with them. So please keep adding.

Another one I just learned. Start your call sequence, just before dawn, but not too early as the moose may come in, smell you and leave before legal shooting light, or before you can see him.

Tip #2. Once you have a moose coming in, only call if the moose changes direction, or if the moose has lost all interest. But this rarly happens.

Tip #3 Once the bull is in his trance and rocking slowly and walking towards you its a lot easier to get in close and set up for a shot. Or put the caller behind you and ambush him as he comes by.

Tip #4 Moose have big ears and can hear from a long ways away. Get loud after you have started softly! Some bulls will hear you from across the lake even up to 5kms away. It will take them time to get there, so dont give up.

Tip #5 At first mostly cow call, but do throw in the odd small bull grunt. This will make him think another bull is tending the cow hes coming to and get him running.

All of these little things guys with experience know and dont really think about them when they call. Its these things that make the difference sometimes.

Moose72
06-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Will Bull moose come to calls in Nov? We have a Bull Moose LEH and wonder if we should try calling this time of year?They do have their second heat in Nov. So i don't see why it wouldn't work if you find alot of sign in an area, give it a try. It won't hurt.

06-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Ok i take back my i dont think you can do well calling in November!

Seems the guys who live up there can do it. I have never moose hunted in November. My theory now proven wrong!

BCrams
06-24-2010, 02:15 PM
They were pretty active last November when deer hunting. I nearly shot a huge bull at point blank range in self defence...he made the smart decision to turn and leave instead of taking another step towards me.

He was an aggressive bull coming in fast and at the same time noticing him, I went behind a tree while yelling "WHOAAAA........ WHOAAAA....." that stopped him with his antlers down facing me at a distance I could have bonked him on the forhead with the muzzle of my rifle.

BCrams
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Hot Tip: This has really brought in bulls running in the past ....... a bucket or can .... fill it with water and pour it into water to stimulate a moose pissing ... that sound carries ..... piss in the water yourself if you have no can! First elk I shot had charged in to the sound of my dad pissing while cow calling.

MB_Boy
06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Hot Tip: This has really brought in bulls running in the past ....... a bucket or can .... fill it with water and pour it into water to stimulate a moose pissing ... that sound carries ..... piss in the water yourself if you have no can! First elk I shot had charged in to the sound of my dad pissing while cow calling.

Yup! I fill up my horn (with water :wink:) and let it run out the "mountpiece" end.

Another tip that I have mentioned on here in the past is "if" you have a bull that you know is out there (visual or sound) and you just can't get him to come in; if you have a partner with you pass them the call. We have done this on a number of occasions to both "turn" a bull back towards us or to bring him out. The slight difference in pitch can be just enough to make him think......there's more chicks there than he originally thought.

We did this one year and my Dad has footage of the whole thing with a bull working WAY out going away from us through a bog/marsh area. We were on a high rock and could see him as he way angling away from us way down the opening. My Dad couldn't get him to turn so he passed me the horn and I let out a cow bawl.....it stopped him in his tracks; he looked around and did a complete 180 coming right back into us. We have had this work a few times for us in the past.

Slinky Pickle
06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Cow calling, bull grunting, raking, water pouring, decoys, scents, hunt strategy, blah, blah, blah is all on the Guthro Moose Madness DVD series. They even give some real good shot placement and field dressing info.

Again, if you can squeeze out the cash I would recommend it.

cyalatte
06-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Never found a tampon in camp before...but hey, there is a first for everything :mrgreen:

Hang scent holding sticks (tampons work) with cow in heat scent from where you will be calling

06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I've had em come in a running, come in silent like a lamb, grunting and come in cautiously from onset of initial call, come into cow calls, bull challenges, raking etc. They like us are individuals, that said they will try to wind you almost always and will throw you a curve, be prepared to move with them.
If you a daring enough to use the antlers cut-outs, watch out for the dum -_ss that might start blazing at you, had a guy put a rifle right at me from 30 steps, when he detected movement, as I was calling, he headed my way, so I stopped calling and I tried to get his attention, the guy must have been blind and closed the distance. Very scary!

CT

betteroffishing
06-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Never found a tampon in camp before...but hey, there is a first for everything :mrgreen:

i keep a couple in my pack at all times , they make a great scent hanger / drag

TyTy
06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks for all the info. my first ever moose hunt this year. can't wait. my palms are sweating just reading this post!

takla1
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I moose call every yr from our camp,early mornings will sometime bring you in a younger satilite bull,you have to be real quiet and call into the wind loadly from good vantage points.I m quite good at cow and bull calling as ive heard them close up many ,many times over the yrs .I use those traffic cones you see along the hyw,work awsome at projecting your call,and most are orange in colour,just drill 2 holes and add a shoulder strap.You have to be where the bulls are and time the rut,extreme north B.C starts a little earlier,used to shoot our bulls out of ft. nelson area every yr like clockwork,17,18,19 sept.Mid province P.G,ft.st.James,Quesnel ect usually between 27th sept to end of first week of oct.I Alway hunt hi south faceing cutblocks and watch the tree lines closely with spotting scope,picked out many bulls this way that you most likely would never see as most bulls come to the call causiusly and aproach then hang up just 5-10 ft inside the tree lines.hope these tips help the moose hunters out there

BromBones
06-24-2010, 09:07 PM
A good birchbark call is great for amplifying your sound, and makes a 'natural' tone. Some duct tape and a pocket knife and you'll have one made up in 5 minutes. Works good as a scoop to imitate the 'moose pissing' sound if you're calling on water.

I never really have stuck with a system of calling, and always like to try different things out to see the reaction. I gotta say, nothing gets the blood pumping like having a big bull coming through the timber like a dozer, grunting and snorting all the way. Lots of fun.

Sitkaspruce
06-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Great Post David

I love calling in moose!!!

I always use a cow call, rarely a bull grunt.

I like to set up and just listen for 15-20 minutes or so, listening and glassing for moose. You will be surprised at how many moose you will hear if you just sit and listen.

I then start off with a soft, short cow moan, just using my hands, then repeat right after. Then I sit for another 3-5 minutes. Then I call a little louder and a little longer moan. I will change the pitch and tone with my fingers over my nose and move my head around while doing it. The sit for 10 minutes.

Then I grab my "reach out and touch something" homemade Birtch bark cone and call softly again a couple times. This produces a different tone and pitch again and is much more directional. I also make it longer and more whinny. After two calls with that, I sit for another 10. If nothing repeat once more and if nothing, I leave. I DO come back an hour or so later and start over, but just soft hand calling. This has resulted in more than a few bulls hitting the ground. I will usually only hunt three or four spots a day and after calling at them, I will check them out at least once more in that day, or if you called late in the night, I will go right back the very next morning and work the area softly.

I also mixed this all up and throw this out the window on some days and try all sorts of different things, but this has worked very well for me in the past.

If I get a bull coming, I will turn and call away from him, using my hands only. As he gets closer, you will hear him stop grunting loudly and he will start to use soft love grunts, sometime you can barely hear them. If you hear this, you know he is getting closer. If he holds up, then I will start to walk away, calling softly as I go and always facing away from him.

Since I have the motto of "If it has balls, it falls" for moose, I find that bull grunts will have some of the younger bulls hold up, especially if they have already had their a$$ kicked by the bigger ones around. When guiding, I find the more I cow call earlier in the year, the more aggressive the bulls are, later in the rut, say after Oct 7th, you need to be more patient, and be willing to wait for them to get there.

One other thing, if you here cows bawling, try to sneak in, instead of calling. Most of the time the bulls around the cow will be preoccupied with her and will let you walk right in and say hi......

Cheers

SS

mark
06-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Got the dog excited!!

Is it just me or does #4, 7, 9, & 10 sound like elk????? :confused:

proguide66
06-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I have a few points wich havent been made yet and may be helpfull:-D
I honestly dont know how many bull moose I kilt er helped get kilt over the years but its bin a bunch!
One thing is a moose is probably one of the easiest of the ungulates to call in...dont go over board in trying to make it a sensitive science!!
When you call a moose , he knows EXACTLY where you are from the get go...EXACTLY...
also , the closer a bull comes to you the quiet'r his calls get to an actual quiet gasp when REAL close....so mimic it as well...when he's comin to you , tone it down the same rate he is....( you will hear in my videos)..its kinda weird , you can hear em clear from a mile away and at 50 yards is a soft grunt to almost a gasp..
Beating up trees/bushes helps HUGE...sheds are even better...( I hate packing extra shit with me though)....I personally havent had much negative responses from calling loud from the first go...
Cows come for bulls and hang with him till the party gets busted up by other bulls....its tough to call him off cows but some dudes can do it well...quite the scene watching it being done!!
Bull moose are nomads...I have RARELY seen the same bull the following season up north...new bulls show daily where moose live while rutting , makes each day a new one in the same spot...moose get up and scratch their nuts er pee every 2 to 3 hrs throught the day...if you glass..you MUST STAY FOR 3 HRS MINIMUM..PERIOD !!!.....to be sure you havent missed anyone.
Watch for multiple mature cows runnin together...2 er more...there WILL be a bull there ( we'r talking rutting moose), cows with calves are bulls 'victims' as well..( I usually ignore does with fawns in the rut)
Bulls can be conned into grunting any time of the year..used it a few times while killing velvet bulls..
also , 90% of the time a bull is grunting- he's movin..when he's not grunting,he's standign listening...so..you bow hunters out there , dont be shy to make a move while he's grunting , his footsteps will help cover your noise while geting into position for the shot...they want to hear some movement with calling anyway...
anyway , my 2 bits:wink: ( best way to call is to mimic the real animal itself..instead of other hunters on cds er taped calls...mimic the animal you are after..in tone and frequency of grunting/calling...interupt the animal you are after to , show him no respect!!
First vid is in Sept 1...he came from maybe 600 yrds...I'm grunting real quiet now...he's maybe 40 yrds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3H2IJHQhsg&layer_token=1d288bfd5cab7155

this small bull came from a mile..to REAL loud grunting....he circled me 360 degrees at 25 yrds...all from grunting...but I did mix it up with some real loud cow calling in the beginning.Again , I'm grunting reeeal quiet while he's real close..as he was as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb5EbVseAJg&layer_token=39e70458a0144520

good luck.......really remember though , it changes all day....Ive sat having a fire and BS'ing for 4 er more hrs when all the sudden uugh uugh from long ways off , heeere he comes!!!!

BiG Boar
06-25-2010, 07:02 AM
A good birchbark call is great for amplifying your sound, and makes a 'natural' tone. Some duct tape and a pocket knife and you'll have one made up in 5 minutes.

Do you have a picture of what one looks like? Do you kill the tree to make it? Or use birch bark from a dead tree only? What works best?

whitetailsheds
06-25-2010, 07:49 AM
A moose or elk shoulder blade works great for raking. Echoes or carries quite good distances. Use it while walking thru brush, great cover sound.
Small, flat, and compact, it's nice for carrying around.

MB_Boy
06-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Do you have a picture of what one looks like? Do you kill the tree to make it? Or use birch bark from a dead tree only? What works best?

David....you need to cut it down pretty deep so your horn has some strength to it; essentially taking the bark off right down close to the "core" of the tree. Forgive me....I am not up on my "tree" terminology but just make sure that you are cutting to give yourself a pretty tough, solid piece of bark. I think my Dad has directions that he did up on how to make one as he's had a number of inquiries over the years.

But essentially you cut right around the tree (hopefully dead but you don't want the bark too dry) judging the "width" of your cut by the size of your horn. So now you have a big rectangular piece of thick birch bark.

Next.....soak it for a few hours to make it more pliable and easier to work with. The way we make them is you will now need a leather thong and we also use a glue gun.....it's a 'traditional' glue gun :wink: so it keeps the authenticity of the horn.

Now you will roll the bark up just as you would for making a funnel or a paper horn; essentially on a bit of a diagonol and leave an opening for the "mouthpiece" that will fit yer yap. You definitely don't want the mouthpiece too small. What we do now is to thread a leather thong along the seams to give it some "strength" to hold the horn all togehter AND if you leave a pretty good length at each end of the seam you can join them together to make a shoulder strap. At this point we "brace" the horn in a "vice" of some kind to allow it to dry a bit and hold it's form. Once it has dried out we do add a bead of glue from a glue gun along the seams where the bark "overlaps".....essentially the line along which you have your leather thong running. (many guys just seal it up with duct tape as well :wink:). Now....you just cut around the mouthpiece and the "bell" of the horn to even it all off and voila....you've got yourself a very "natural" looking birch bark horn. I think the ones I generally have made are anywhere from 1.5 to 2ish feet long. You can do whatever you choose for size as I have seen little "stubby" horns as well. When making them with my Dad we have always opted for a minimum of 1.5 feet but generally they are closer to 2 feet.

I'll see if my Dad has the directions that he had typed out when he is back in the Peg. All of this talk of moose and he's at the North American Moose Conference right now in International Falls, Minnesota.

Sitkaspruce
06-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Dave

Just peel the outer layer of the bark all the way around a good size tree. Weight it down in some water (I use a cooler) to get it plyable, then I roll it into the shape I want and let it dry that way. I usually get two-three years out of one, but I use it to call, rake and break brush with, so it does get beat up. I wrap it in Duct tape and place a sling on it to carry over my shoulder.

You can use any type of funnel shaped item to make a call, I use the BB because it looks realistic to the clients:-D:wink:

Cheers

SS

RiverOtter
06-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Nope, not just you.

#9 is actually called a "Moose Bugle", which is a new one to me...........Damn hy-brids..........:mrgreen:

Caribou_lou
06-25-2010, 09:26 AM

You won't find me immitating many of those calls. Hard to listen to. I must say though, I've heard some cows make some wierd noises.

BiG Boar
06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
#1 - How to stop a fleeing bull? A long, loud and wavering cow call, up to a minute long, has been very successful. It will stop and turn most bulls unless you have been smelled.

#2 - If approaching a bull with a cow, its best to use bull grunts. If the cow hears another cow calling, it may pull the bull away.

#3 - Set up your camp with a good lookout, or a good place to call from. Then call from camp randomly throughout the day when not off hunting and when you first get up and go to bed. A lot of bulls get shot just hearing people chop wood, or dragging firewood into camp to build rediqulously large fires.

#4 - Dont pee where you call from. Moose can smell. They can also pin point where the call is coming from and will likley approach from down wind. This is why its smart to call from an area away from your main lookout. When calling, walk around raking and making moosey sounds, so it sounds like a few moose are there. There paddles act as super sonic sound catchers, thats why they can hear from such distances. If you call from where you're lookout is, there will be more scent in the area then getting in, calling, and getting out. Also a good reason to use cow in heat scents.

#5 - Take shifts on a calling location. You may get bored of the same old glassing. So switch it up with a buddy after half the day. But keep going back to where you were calling from. Moose are active at night, and unless they are rut crazy will come in on thier time. Maybe when they get up mid day to feed. They will pop by to check out what is happening.

srupp
06-25-2010, 10:58 AM
If the RUT is on and its warm..concentrate on creeks or rivers..in the am there is fog coming off a creek..it indicates its colder than the surrounding ambient temp..the bulls will bed up in these cooler areas..they also like ridges...

Sometimes a bull will run in like someone sprayed turpintine on his tail other times sneak in like a fox...seen both on the same day...

I recomend FULL camo even face mask..its amzing how close you can get a bull to come in..this year I will take the video camera and take some video..we have 4 moose tags amongs 4 individuals...:confused:, again...:confused:..

One one thing I have learned , and I do consider myself a reasonably accomplished caller...you simply can not call too much...these moose are travelling distances , wind and hills may obstruct your calling at different times...when a bull is moving through he NEEDS to hear you....sometimes when I get up at night to pee..I spend 15 minutes calling LOUDLY...(also helps the the peeing..lol)

I also hang tampons soaked in moose in heat pee some distance arround the lake and the calling location..I KNOW that helps..

steven

GoatGuy
06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Sure it's all been said.

2 litre pop bottles with the bottom cutt of work well for calling if you don't have anything else (traffic cone, bark horn, or don't use hands).

When calling bulls across a lake or river as soon as they put one foot in the water they're coming. Head downwind to the nearest point or natural exit and be prepared to have fun.

srupp
06-25-2010, 04:20 PM
hmmm Ive had moose swim 1/2 way accross a fairly substantial lake coming to our calling only to turn around..must have been something I said..lol...

srr

GoatGuy
06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
hmmm Ive had moose swim 1/2 way accross a fairly substantial lake coming to our calling only to turn around..must have been something I said..lol...

srr

Never talk once they're swimming. Might have been the smell coming out from under arm.

BiG Boar
06-26-2010, 04:19 PM
....sometimes when I get up at night to pee..I spend 15 minutes calling LOUDLY...

steven

does it burn when you pee? Lol. Haha. Having a ceasar on the patio. Enjoying hbc

srupp
06-26-2010, 07:31 PM
ha ha ha ..hmmm a little,,,

srr

luckynuts
06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Lots of good info in this thread.

I have found that in the heat of it you cannot over call. Though only one person must call and volume of course depends on where and how close the animals are. We have filmed many hunts and experiences with moose hunting and in all situations there has always been a lead cow that did all the calling for the group. When we have taken the prime /herd bull out the lead cow would call for hours non stop to bring in another breeder bull.

Also if you can call from a stink hole/rut pit. the bigger bulls will move from stink hole to stink hole to pick up any missed ladies in the area. Again patience is a virtue. Good luck

moose2
07-08-2011, 12:35 AM

srr
I was told calling across a lake can have the opposite result depending on the back drop. A steep face or dence timber creates a bounce back echo and will confuse a bull. He will actually here the call from behind him and will turn around to head back to where he thinks the calling is coming from. I have seen this happen a few times. Like proguide66 said earlier they know where you are so if they jump in a lake just be quiet and watch the show. A bull will grunt his full way across while swimming its cool to watch and hear. Some of you may have seen moose run back and forth on shore all confused from a outboard noise or from talking while fishing, this is for the same reason the noise bounces back to them and they think the trouble is in the bush behind them. We have had them jump in and swim our direction before while summer fishing. Another thing I like to do is stick to cow calls I have had a 2 bulls turn away when I have bull grunted I have done this twice and both times I changed my location by 1 km or so and got them back with cow calls only. I was able to get both of them and I saw why they left, they had both been beat up lots of bruises and holes were found on both bulls when I skinned them. Some of this stuff may have been mentioned but I feel its important.
Always put your self in a good position to hear an answer. Move away from roads or logging and stay away from timbered areas with lots of falling leaves all these are noises that can muffle a low grunt. If you are road or quad hunting make sure you walk at least a few hundred yards in from the vehicle to start calling and stay long enough to get some results. One of my old partners was famous for calling other people moose. He would drive right to a lake or swamp call out his window wait a minute then leave if he didn't see or hear any thing. We know of twice where bulls were shot by someone 30 minutes after he left. Calling can be very effective but hunt smart the moose still have to around for this to work , hunt licks, cut blocks river bottoms and lakes and swamps where there is good sign. Calling can work all day , but like with any hunting don't miss first and last light. I hope this helps I don't mind helping with PMs if anyone has any questions. I have been helped this way and like to pass on any help I can.
Mike
PS good thread Dave and good luck with your stone hunt , I hope you guys connect. A stone and a rosie in the same year that will get you closer to your goal.

MB_Boy
07-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Further to what moose2 said above.....once I have a bull coming in, I rarely actually have the horn facing straight towards him. I'll almost call with the horn pointed the complete opposite way from where he is coming in.

LYKTOHUNT
07-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I would suspect not. You might get a smaller bull out but im sure the most of them will be resting.

But never say never. If you do you will be proven wrong!
I have called small bulls in early Nov and I have rattled bulls in, however I was trying to rattle in deer,this happened a couple of times, I never have rattled in a deer yet, go figure

MillBay
07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I am definately no expert but a friend taught me years ago to call. From my experience on some days when everything lines up you could fart and call them in, but on the other days thats where the experience and this good advice comes into play.

pescado
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I was fortunate to work for an outfitter when I was young in good moose territory. I did some guiding along with odd jobs and lots of packing. I saw lots of moose get killed and most were call ins. The things that stuck in my mind from those experiences were: good vantage points before you call. Glass lots because often it's the whiteness of the antlers moving thru the willows you see before you'll even know there's a moose around. The real good guys I've been with have a variety of cow calls- long ,short, high pitched, low pitched; and they used them. Sound mimicking definitely helps. It was surprising how far some moose were called in from and how good experienced callers are at knowing were that moose will come out at after you haven't seen him for awhile. In my experience I saw more moose fall to a cow call but if there coming in to a bull call don't stop using it. To a large part it's common sense. You have to be around moose first, than you have to remember what works for you and don't be afraid to try new things. If I don't have any action from my calling spot after what I consider enough time, than I'm moving on to my next good calling spot till I find a spot that produces. By action I mean sight and sound. I like to have enough confidence in my calling that if I don't see or here a moose after enough time than I don't think he's there and it's time to go find some. The guys that are good have been around moose enough to know what calls to use when and it all comes from experience. You do have to be around moose first and that is the most important thing.

srupp
07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
hmmm I agree that you simply can not overcall....and I also 'direct" the sound a bit to the side and behind to keep the bull coming in the closest...using the tampons with moose pee helps and keeps working 24-7 even while you are checking other site or at night..

Because these bulls are constantly on the move..keep calling you never know when a bull will come into range...I know moose can hear a human voice call...... from over 5 kilometers..I have witnessed this several times and GPS'd the distances..

Once the bull is coming in ..as he comes in closer drop the volume "appropriatly"

steven

aj1493
07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
thanks for all the great info

TheProvider
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Sometimes its hardest to know when to or when not to call. Remember some bulls will come in silent and some bulls take their time getting to you. Patience is key. I've had a couple buddies call at a location, wait a couple mins then move on. On occasion they've returned to the location after and hour or two and there was moose tracks on top of there tracks.

If you can see the bull coming, keep an eye on his reactions to your calls. By doing so you can see when to call or when to be quiet. If the bull likes cow calls or bull grunts better. If he's coming in on a cow call and if he gets close and you sudddenly grunt at him you might startle him and scare him off.

Remember if your set up in a fairly open location and calling constantly he's gonna wise up when he doesn't see another moose.

Decoys can be absolutely magnets when calling. Always use caution tho as there might be other hunters around.

If your in a marshy area move just inside of the cover and "tromp around" in the water as you call. If you have a container or pail with you you can fill it with water and slowly pour it into the water asthough a moose is urinating. One fall my father got up at day break to relieve himself, walking onto the porch to the "pee pail"(pail so 6 guys aren't just urinatiing everywhere off the porch of the cabin at night) he began to relieve himself. All of a sudden he could hear a moose urinating in the creek next to the cabin. It started calling at my dad so he gave a few calls back. Unfortunately it wasn't moose season yet.

Glenny
07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Got the dog excited!!

Wow #3 sounded like the real deal but I think #1 was a bull frog haha

M.Dean
07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
In 2007 I had a bull draw, well everyone was working hard to get me one, except the moose! For the first week we seen nothing, so then I'm on my own, and I remembered a buddy of mine had told me what he does in some cases is drive to a good moose area, stop, and call for 10 minutes or so, then get back in your truck, or on your Quad and drive to the next area. Do this as many times as the road or trail will allow. When you get to the end of the road, wait and have a coffee, then start back where you called from and glass real hard to see if any thing came to the call. Well, sure as heck as me and my Quad and trailer went flying by one landing I'd called in a few minutes before, there stood a Bull Moose about 40 yards behind a bit of willows beside the road! I locked the brakes up and we slid to a stop, off the Quad I jumped and watched the Bull quickly trying to break the Sound Barrier!!!I loaded the T3 300 Mag and started to shoot the Bull, which should have stayed 40 yards from the trail, but didn't!!! But, the more I think about that Moose, I'd bet he came out of the new growth pine tree's that were about 7 or 8 feet high on the opposite side of the road. If I hadn't tried to call with my coffee can and leather boot lace, it's very possible I'd never seen that Bull! The Moose must go in these spots and lay down and wait until darn near dark, then come out to feed, so with out calling you'd never know there in there!

mwj
07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
doesn't anybody use a coffee can and string call anymore lol.

mcrae
07-09-2011, 07:33 AM
doesn't anybody use a coffee can and string call anymore lol.

My dad uses a coffee can as well as a birchbark call. The can actually sounds pretty good when he does it. I learned to call from a hunting buddy and have never used anything other than my hands and my mouth but this year I think I will make a birch bark call. We will be hunting a tough area so I think calling will be imprtant this year.

martyonthewater
07-09-2011, 08:37 AM
i keep a couple in my pack at all times , they make a great scent hanger / drag

He does a lot of crying for seemingly no good reason as well guys:twisted:

srupp
07-09-2011, 10:10 AM
still see a couple of natives still using the coffee can with string..

Patience is absolute I have found many big open "bowels" or along lakes and called for several days before moose came in ...Todds last year was 2 complete days..by nite second day we had him hanging,,,

when calling draw it out....make it "pleading " and "desperate " sounding....and as for volume...once acow starts really pouring the volume out...you physically as a human cant match her volumne....

Laying in the boat @ 1 am on the Teslin river we had a cow start calling from 20 YARDS AWAY....I am confident that was heard 7 KILOMETERS away in any and every direction this wasnt moose 101 this was the advanced course..lol..

In listening for bulls responding some of the replies are so faint...it takes another 20 minutes from when I thought I heard a first reply till when I was certain It indeed was a bull...and yeta another 20 minutes plus till I seen the bull..

Some bulls I have seen respond raking branches and digging moss while heading my was were 3-4 KILOMETERS away and were coming in to my call(eventually harvested ) shot over 1 1/2 hrs later..

or coming out on the Teslin lake 5 kms as the crow flies down the shore racing out onto the beach and then trotting /walking down the beach to our calling..wher he came out was 5.3 kms from us couldnt hear him call but could see his mouth moving in the spotting scope..

I very very very seldom use the bull call...99% the cow call and do extremely well...and the tampons with moose pee and yes even pouring the water into the lake simulating cow peeing..

Moose do get suspicious when the KNOW where the sounds are coming from but dont see a cow...hence full camo..they will spot humans standing moving around they are tuned ito the area the sounds ie your calling came from..

steven

RULE #1..KEEP CALLING...I call every 10 minutes or so....

papaken
07-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Got the dog excited!!
Interesting site but apparently some of their contributors don't know the difference between moose and elk.lol

untilthelastbeat
07-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Got the dog excited!!

dont wanna bash your post and im not trying to be harsh but those are some of the worst moose calls iv ever heard and 4 or 5 are elk! just dont want anybody getting the wrong idea and blowing their chance on a bull. if you want to hear good calling go on youtube and search moose calling. pleanty of people have videos of bulls coming in or instructional videos on how to call.

srupp
07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
hmmm didnt take the time to listen however if guys are coming trhough to "prescout" Region 5 for moose..and want to get together for coffee at my place I will gladly demonstarte and help show proper moose calling techniques..and sounds...its just an offer of help..

cheers
Steven

scoopy
07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
hmmm didnt take the time to listen however if guys are coming trhough to "prescout" Region 5 for moose..and want to get together for coffee at my place I will gladly demonstarte and help show proper moose calling techniques..and sounds...its just an offer of help..

cheers
Steven

That would be really great, won't be up there until the end of July, Are you anywhere near Sulfurous?

srupp
07-10-2011, 08:41 AM
hmmm no downtown Willaiams Lake,,,,,,,,,,,,

steven

boxhitch
07-10-2011, 09:09 AM
still see a couple of natives still using the coffee can with string..
.Nabob Traditional ??

Torch
07-11-2011, 07:35 AM
My buddy has a cabin on suphurous lake, he rents it occasionally to good folks...pm if your interested... unless your a douchebag...;) :-)

xfactor
08-16-2013, 10:11 AM
thread resurrection...because its a good one!!

thanks for all the insight guys!

LYKTOHUNT
08-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I have called small bulls in Nov, they tasted good

08-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Tipically Nov isnt the best time to call. But it will work, moose are pretty simple and respond well. Its worth trying for sure, but if i was going moose hunting with the idea of calling them,,, which i am and do.. i prefer first two weeks of October. In my experiance that is best chance time line for hitting the rut.

Wade
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
My statement here has nothing to do with your moose calling, but I remember a time in the kootneys hunting elk this guy we were with was calling elk and there was a bull calling back to us and this went back and forth for half hr or so. Then this guy gave another call on the bugle and he screwed up, ran out of air or blew to hard or what ever happened but his call was way off tune or not the perfect call so to speak and that bull replied back to us the same way. It seemed strange, but I learned that day that your calling doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. Just thought I'd share that.

Moe.JKU
08-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the bringing this one out of the woodwork. I got a 11 day moose hunt 0ct 4 to 14th, from my research we will be hitting a pretty good time to use calls. we got 2 any bulls so any size works.

srupp
08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
being set up prior to dawn...cold crisp mornings with now wind seem best..I spend all day calling every 15 minutes...first one somewhat low then let rip...only use bulls when I know a bull is teamed up..provolk him..challenge..they KNOW where the sound should be coming from..I suggest camo and dont be moving...I also hang out tamkpons with cow in heat because the wind sometime shifts and bulls will try and get downwind...its a arsenal of tactics not just one ..volume..you should be able to pull in a bull from 5 kms away in any direction..yes their hearing is TAHT good and if you only had sex once a year you WILL be there..think of it as the closing salute at 2 am bar closing...doesnt have to be perfect..hell they come in to a reving chainsaw...steven

Abashai
08-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Good find. There is a lot of good info on here. I met a guy who said he stopped a moose long enough to shoot, that had spooked, by yelling "Hey Stupid!!". My buddy did the same thing to a moose that snuck in on him while he was taking a piss, although he just grunted. I guess if you get the right animal in the right condition anything is possible.... it sure didn't work for me last year lol.

jetboat jim
08-16-2013, 05:09 PM
i have a cow calf draw for 3-13 nov , is it possible to call cows ?

Rackem
08-16-2013, 05:10 PM
originally posted by srupp
I have found many big open "bowels" :mrgreen:

Remember folks, Moose will charge trains when they blow the whistle when the rut is on...

Great Post David

I love calling in moose!!!

I always use a cow call, rarely a bull grunt.

I like to set up and just listen for 15-20 minutes or so, listening and glassing for moose. You will be surprised at how many moose you will hear if you just sit and listen.

I then start off with a soft, short cow moan, just using my hands, then repeat right after. Then I sit for another 3-5 minutes. Then I call a little louder and a little longer moan. I will change the pitch and tone with my fingers over my nose and move my head around while doing it. The sit for 10 minutes.

Then I grab my "reach out and touch something" homemade Birtch bark cone and call softly again a couple times. This produces a different tone and pitch again and is much more directional. I also make it longer and more whinny. After two calls with that, I sit for another 10. If nothing repeat once more and if nothing, I leave. I DO come back an hour or so later and start over, but just soft hand calling. This has resulted in more than a few bulls hitting the ground. I will usually only hunt three or four spots a day and after calling at them, I will check them out at least once more in that day, or if you called late in the night, I will go right back the very next morning and work the area softly.

I also mixed this all up and throw this out the window on some days and try all sorts of different things, but this has worked very well for me in the past.

If I get a bull coming, I will turn and call away from him, using my hands only. As he gets closer, you will hear him stop grunting loudly and he will start to use soft love grunts, sometime you can barely hear them. If you hear this, you know he is getting closer. If he holds up, then I will start to walk away, calling softly as I go and always facing away from him.

Since I have the motto of "If it has balls, it falls" for moose, I find that bull grunts will have some of the younger bulls hold up, especially if they have already had their a$$ kicked by the bigger ones around. When guiding, I find the more I cow call earlier in the year, the more aggressive the bulls are, later in the rut, say after Oct 7th, you need to be more patient, and be willing to wait for them to get there.

One other thing, if you here cows bawling, try to sneak in, instead of calling. Most of the time the bulls around the cow will be preoccupied with her and will let you walk right in and say hi......

Cheers

SS

This is the way my Dad used to do it, and he would make the cow call sound very longing and passionate LOL! My dad would call moose in so close I would be sweating because I thought they were gonna step on us.

He would do it when we were not even hunting, just hiking around, even out of the rut, he would try and and sometimes a bull would come out to see what the heck was up. He used his hands or a birch bark cone, and he was a big fan of doing the urination sound with the cone and thrashing the bush. He called about every 15 min or so. Worked like a charm, and kept us fed every year.

Hunt-4-Life
08-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I called my first bulling last year and my good friend put him down. I callsedthree reps of a cow call for three sets about 2-5 minutes apart and then sat still for an hour in silence. It took 3 1/2 hrs for bulwinkle to come in, but when he did he came in hard and fast and right for the log I had been sitting on, like he had me pin-pointed even though I hadn't called for about 30 minutes.

Ranger95
09-19-2014, 06:14 AM
Awesome thread 😄

gutpile
09-19-2014, 11:05 AM
I will be hunting for moose in region 5-01 from oct 15 on , is it to late to still be calling ?

srupp
09-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Hmm pretty great advice....I would print this out if Inwere a new hunter...I call every 15 minutes by the clock...I prefer to hang the tampons 50 yards away, 2 different callers is more effective for representing 2 different cows..dont be moving around...be camoed these bulls come in knowing exactly where the call came from exactly...dont reuse moose urine...nw bottles each year..
Untill a moose answers you simply cant call too loud...
Cheers wauuuugggha
Steven
We have amazing video of lovestruck bulls some sneaking in some crashing in...some withing 45 feet

srupp
09-19-2014, 12:02 PM
No not too late....it is last call but its still very doable.
Srupp

chuckerb
09-20-2014, 01:29 PM
All this was a great read thanks to all for your input..

avadad
07-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks to Big Boar for starting this thread 5 years ago. Time to give it a bump.

Paulyman
07-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Canadian tire sells these incense sticks that when burned smell like cow urine, I highly recommend them as I was calling for bulls up in 7-14 and left my pack beside where the incense atick was burning and walked down a road to see if there were any bulls trying to sneak in. To my surprise when I went back to where my pack was there was a spike fork bull standing directly over my pack smelling it.

604ksmith
07-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Great thread, I think a lot of guys nailed the strategy.

I myself like to start out with average cow calls every 15 minutes, I look at my watch religiously and even if I hear another moose who's still a far ways away I won't speed up my calling. After I give 3-4 of those, or if a Moose comes within 500 yards or so, I'll start to "flirt" by making my calls sound more desperate and horny. I find that giving some variability and emotion really gets Moose going. Pre-rut, rut, and post-rut. If a Moose is hanging up, I always try to give out a desperate horny whine. They don't always come in, but I think it increases my chances.

I also stay absolutely still and quiet unless I'm fully obstructed from view and thrashing branches. Also, if you think you're gonna succeed in calling anything in while you're holding a cup of hot coffee, eating, or doing anything other than breathing - good luck. I've found that my friends that do so, never call anything in.

BiG Boar
07-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Been a while since I wrote this one. After 5 years I can say that this works. I have called in several bulls to date. Its always exciting. I have called them in as early as Sept 20th and as late as Oct 10th. The real key is patients.

avadad
08-08-2015, 01:03 PM
I hope I have the patients to call in a moose this fall.

Warcry
08-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Ugg no I need to start a new chapter in my moose book. Will calling in Bulls be viable in November ? My Leh is from nov1 to nov 30.

chuckerb
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Great read , Its all about the learning,

two-feet
08-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Having a shooter in a down wind position is a good move. I think my calling is just good enough to get them to come in, but shitty enough that they dont come in hot, the usually try to sneak up on me

two-feet
09-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Time to revive this gem, perhaps my favorite all time thread.

kilometers
09-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Not the first time I read this and won't be the last. Thanks for bringing this back up it was a great read and good refresher course.

I have called in bulls and cows by using these techniques. Watch for Bears, called a grizzly in last year.

Rayne
07-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Bump. That time of year again

srupp
07-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Best moose pee..Buck expert..worst..Tinks". .world renowned moose caller.. Ken Capling has fibreglass moose caller..i have the magnum.. KC MAGNUM love the effect on volume..tone..resonance. .works very very well..even after 30 years calling guiding..can always learn..last year's 57 inch bull responded towards Teslin river..took 20 ? Minutes till he was on the beach on our lake..then lots of calling encouraging to get him 4..5 km down the lake..i harvested him just over 200 yards from the meat pole.
Love calling in moose..at a distance over 3 km the bulls grunt loses its deep tone and it sounds like someone hitting a steel blade on a catapulted with a hammer..at 2 km the low sound is now heard..wauuug"
Cheers
Srupp