PDA

View Full Version : More poundage increase speed?

Rob
06-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Took my new bow madness xs out tonight for the first time, really happy with it, need to adjust a couple things and there was a good breeze blowing(the lower nicola gun range has been completely logged out) but other than that it seems to be a great little bow . Im shooting at about 53 lbs now, does increasing the poundage up the speed of the arrow? Just curious. Rob

jessbennett
06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Took my new bow madness xs out tonight for the first time, really happy with it, need to adjust a couple things and there was a good breeze blowing(the lower nicola gun range has been completely logged out) but other than that it seems to be a great little bow . Im shooting at about 53 lbs now, does increasing the poundage up the speed of the arrow? Just curious. Rob

yes you will up the speed. just remember to keep in mind that you want 5gr/ pound. eg. 60 pound bow, 5gr/pound= a 300 grain arrow.

and alot of the time a bow will have a sweet spot in performance. it may be 60-70 lb bow, but you will get the best speed at 67 pounds. no point in pulling the extra weight if you dont have to. its all trial and error and fun to tinker. have fun figuring your new obsession out!:mrgreen:

BowSitter
06-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Also when adjusting your poundage make sure you adjust each limb the same. Meaning when you turn the limb bolts turn them the same distance. eg 1 turn each or 1/2 turn each.

Bow Walker
06-24-2010, 08:06 AM
The advertised speed of the bow was calculated using the peak weight of 70 lbs X 5 grains of finished arrow per pound, which would equal an overall arrow weight of only 350 grains. It's not an overly long arrow either.

In the real world of archery that arrow weight would most likely make your bow pretty noisy, and vibrating (hand shock) to shoot. If you take an average arrow and cut it to your length, put an insert into it and a 100 grain point on it, fletch it and put a nock on the end you'll most likely end up with an arrow that weighs in at around between 380 and 400 grains.

Don't expect 345 fps from that arrow shooting it at 60 - 65 lbs draw weight.

But, you should get impressive speed out of the bow when you set it up for hunting.

Wild one
06-24-2010, 09:12 AM
My self I would not worry about speed and instead focus on what weight you can shoot comfortably and accurately. Speed does not make the kill shot placement does. Too many archers now are caught up with how fast they can make there bow and are forgetting that the faster the bow is most often it is less forgiving.

jessbennett
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
just remember. just because your bow is advertised at peak performance at 70 lb with a 350 grain arrow does not mean that your going to get your 345 fps. bowwalker forgot to mention that that is based on a 30 " draw length as well.
and as i said before, the best performance you may get out of your bow may only be at 66 or 67 lbs. then your just pulling more weight for nothing.

speed is not necessarily a huge factor as compared to accuracy, but let me tell ya, it helps. and there is nothing really wrong with wanting to get the best speed and performance from your bow. with modern technology, you can shoot high poundage, light arrows and not really have that much difference in how your bow shoots.( vibration or noise).

for example i shoot 65 pounds and shoot a total arrow weight of 325 grains. i hunt right at 5 grains per pound. and i can tell you there is no real difference in how my bow feels or how "noisy" it is. with modern technology and dsigns, todays bows are built for high performance and designed for speed and to be shot with lighter arrows in mind.

so if your advertised ibo speed is 345, your shooting 30'' draw length, and your shooting 65 pounds with a 325 grain arrow, you do have the possibility of getting to 345 or at least close to it.

spend lots of time shooting your bow getting used to it, and as you get more comfortable with it, increase the poundage. speed in your arrow is very important, but not worth the comprimise in accuracy.

jessbennett
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
My self I would not worry about speed and instead focus on what weight you can shoot comfortably and accurately. Speed does not make the kill shot placement does. Too many archers now are caught up with how fast they can make there bow and are forgetting that the faster the bow is most often it is less forgiving.

so how does making your bow as fast as you can get it make it less forgiving? if you start out with a fairly forgiving bow in the first place, eg: 35 inch axle to axle, 7 to 7.5 inch brace height. how does trying to get the most speed out of this particular bow cause it to be less forgiving?:neutral:

Wild one
06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
In my opinion flaws with form seem to affect arrow flight more with the faster bows.

jessbennett
06-24-2010, 12:35 PM
In my opinion flaws with form seem to affect arrow flight more with the faster bows.

if you have flaws in your form, it doesnt matter if the bow is doing 200 fps or 350 fps, you will struggle with accuracy. a slower bow does not make up for flaws in form. thats like saying i torque my grip, so i will shoot a 200 fps bow and it will clear things up.:-?

Bow Walker
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Shorter, faster bows with brace heights in or around the 6" mark do magnify flaws in any shooters form. By shorter bows I mean ones that are around 30" A2A.

If you practice enough, and concentrate on improving your form/technique (and actually do start to improve) then accuracy will rise.

Practising isn't about going out to the range or your backyard and just flinging arrows - no matter if you fling 80 - 100 arrows per session. Practice shoud be a well thought-out, planned exercise where you take a portion of your shooting form and work on it for that particular session.

This builds muscle memory, confidence, and repeatability. It in-grains the proper form into your subconscious. Then it becomes 2nd nature to you. Too many shooters just go out and fire away for an hour or so and think that they've accomplish miracles. NOT!

Rob
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
the bow i bought is 28.5 a2a. Your right about the practicing, I need to make sure Im not developing any bad habits. Ive got lots of copies of bow hunting mags my buddy gave me so im reading lots:-D. Huge learning curve

killman
06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
the bow i bought is 28.5 a2a. Your right about the practicing, I need to make sure Im not developing any bad habits. Ive got lots of copies of bow hunting mags my buddy gave me so im reading lots:-D. Huge learning curve

You just need to find a super nice guy that knows his stuff, then bug the hell out him until he help you :mrgreen:.

huntwriter
06-25-2010, 05:38 AM

Give me a call and we can meet at the range. Would be glad to help you out.

Rob
06-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks Othmar, pm sent