PDA

View Full Version : 7-28 grizz advice

Squamch
06-23-2010, 06:52 AM
My brother got drawn for a grizz this fall in 7-28. "Across the lake" from Mckenzie.
He lives up there, works in Tumbler Ridge, but I've never been up there. We're thinkin the last two weeks of october work best for everyone's schedules, what can we expect as far as weather, game, etc?
He's also got zero experience with caping...is there an instructional book or DVD you can recommend, or any advice pertaining to hunting grizzlies?
Thanks
Sam

hutch
06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
interested to see replies i have one as well will be going up first 2 weeks of oct.

.330 Dakota
06-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I had a spring draw for 7-28 and went up the west side of the unit north of Fort St James...big waste of time, no sign of Griz anywhere in there.
I have heard however that the Manson Creek area produces some lunkers.
Someone on this site,(cant remember who) was up there when I was there and after seeing nothing for a few days took off around to the MacKenzie side and whacked a 9 footer. Hopefully they see this thread and respond for you.

elkdom
06-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I had a spring draw for 7-28 and went up the west side of the unit north of Fort St James...big waste of time, no sign of Griz anywhere in there.
Someone on this site,(cant remember who) was up there when I was there and after seeing nothing for a few days took off around to the MacKenzie side and whacked a 9 footer. Hopefully they see this thread and respond for you.

7-28 grizzly authorizations are EXAGGERATED in numbers to say the least,,,

7-28 general game numbers are about the same as the far side the moon,,,

7-28 one of those management Units that big game have been over harvested, decimated by year round abuse of privilege for many years,,,

.330 Dakota
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Wish I knew that last summer...

mrc
06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Our hunting party has hunted moose in that area the last 3 years. We hunt in a remote area that one would expect to see grizzlies but have only encountered 2 in this time......but we have seen some monster tracks in fresh snow. So they are there. The weather at that time of year is a mixed bag forsure with some days well below 0 and others up to 10 degrees cel. Anyways goodluck and take a moose tag as immys and calfs are open at that time.

takla1
06-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I hunt 7-28 as well.Lots of grizz if you hunt the higher cutblocks.WE see them every yr mainly around our hunting area as we camp up high and hunt the bull moose along treed ridge lines.try north of chuchi lk,hike in on the creeks,wont find them on the roads often.they seem to like the newer cut blocks,up high on south faceing mountains.My buddy had a sow with two yrling cubs sneek up on him 2 yrs ago,I had to shoot over their heads from across the valley to get my buddys attn.

olharley guy
06-23-2010, 08:30 PM
I hunt 7-28 as well.Lots of grizz if you hunt the higher cutblocks.WE see them every yr mainly around our hunting area as we camp up high and hunt the bull moose along treed ridge lines.try north of chuchi lk,hike in on the creeks,wont find them on the roads often.they seem to like the newer cut blocks,up high on south faceing mountains.My buddy had a sow with two yrling cubs sneek up on him 2 yrs ago,I had to shoot over their heads from across the valley to get my buddys attn.

Howdy, now can you tell me why you would shoot over the bears heads?

Didn't you realize you were wrecking their habitat? LOL Later

Sitkaspruce
06-23-2010, 08:51 PM

That sucks 330 Dakota. I thought you might at least see a couple.

Two buddies went up first week of May and whacked an 8' off the blocks above Tchentlo Lake. Not a huge bear but a beautiful interior bear. I will try to get pictures.

The Mitchell mountains hold some big bears, but it is backpack only as there is no roads.

As for weather, there is usually a good snow fall but mid Oct and some more by Halloween. Most bears will be up high and denning by late Oct, as there is very little food for them and it is getting damn cold!!!

Good luck

Cheers

.330 Dakota
06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
That sucks 330 Dakota. I thought you might at least see a couple.

Two buddies went up first week of May and whacked an 8' off the blocks above Tchentlo Lake. Not a huge bear but a beautiful interior bear. I will try to get pictures.

The Mitchell mountains hold some big bears, but it is backpack only as there is no roads.

As for weather, there is usually a good snow fall but mid Oct and some more by Halloween. Most bears will be up high and denning by late Oct, as there is very little food for them and it is getting damn cold!!!

Good luck

Cheers

Hey Sitka, Ya it did suck, we even stayed for 3 extra says with no luck.
We were hunting the blocks off Rottacker Rd near Tchentlo. We camped at the rec site on Tchentlo. Also hunted on the south/east side of Tchentlo but saw nothing, not even scat or tracks. I will try again next year in another area.

trapman
06-24-2010, 12:27 AM
went in this spring and got a nice one pm me and I will give you what I know . Like others have said ,I don't think there are a lot of bears in the area but will help if I can