PDA

View Full Version : LEH question

.330 Dakota
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
So if I put in for G-Bear in say 508-A as a 1st choice, and 7-38 (1 to 1 odds) as a 2nd choice and I am not drawn in 5-08A, does that mean I will be drawn in area of my 2nd choice which has 1 to 1 odds or will they throw a tag at me in a Timbucktoo--no access area

jml11
06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
The 1:1 odds for 7-38 are the first choice odds. I believe the only way you can get a second choice hunt is if that hunt goes undersubscribed that year (less than 1:1). If you select yes to a substitute hunt you will be eligible for one of the very undersubscribed hunts...which means that once all the first choice tags and the second choice tags are given out for that MU, then if there are a few authorizations left over, they will be given to those willing to accept a substitute hunt.

So if you select a high odds hunt for your first and second choice, and you select yes to a substitute hunt, you may very well end with a hunt in the middle of nowhere. I always put no to substitute hunts, because if I was willing to take part in a hunt in timbucktoo, I would have just select it as my first choice as it will be a gimme. That you can research the area before applying and won't end up wasting the authorization.

reach
06-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Also remember the posted odds are last year's odds. There is no way to know in advance what the odds for any given hunt will be this year - it depends on the number of applicants and final number of authorizations. (You'll notice the synopsis always says "tentative" number.)

.330 Dakota
06-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks Guys