PDA

View Full Version : 4-08 salmo sheep tag

bearslayer01
06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
has anybody ever had the bc salmo sheep tag and looking for any helpful info on the hunt. the tag is extremely hard to draw and i am just trying to get as much info as possible before i go start scouting. booo yaaaa

Chuck
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Was bsing with the b.l. yesterday. He said the odds were 1 chance in 300 or 3000???
So isn't it a surprise, a fellow we are both acquainted has won a draw. I said that he might not even have to get out of the truck to fill that (jokingly).

kootenayelkslayer
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
From what I've heard in the last few years, guys have had to bust their ass pretty hard to get a good ram...but there are some very good rams around! I think the rams move away from the highway once the rut comes around. Anyway, I'm pretty jealous you got that tag, it's going to be a great hunt!

bighornbob
06-22-2010, 03:22 PM
A friend who is a diehard had the tag last year and they never saw a ram worth shooting. I think they only saw one small full curl.

I have heard that the trophy quality has really dropped from a 5-6 years ago when you could see a few rams in 180 class.

BHB

deeks1989
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
I got it this year too haha:wink:good luck to ya

steepNdeep
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I heard that a couple large rams were killed by cars in teh last few years. Good luck... should be fun!

Derp
06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
good luck mattie

06-22-2010, 07:49 PM
MOE estimated population - 40 sheep.
Desired harvest - 1 ram per year.
Actual harvest - 1 ram since 2003.
LEH authorizations awarded - 3.

Do not fool yoruself into thinking this is an easy hunt.

boxhitch
06-22-2010, 09:15 PM
2 out of 3 on HBC, so far. hope the luck continues for you guys !
Some say that estimate of 40 varies as the sheep move back and forth across the border. Quite a distance, but these have never been collared for study. Maybe a cranker will come up for a visit this fall.
Wonder if the number came from a January count at the feeder times a sightability factor ?

kootenayelkslayer
06-22-2010, 09:26 PM
MOE estimated population - 40 sheep.
Desired harvest - 1 ram per year.
Actual harvest - 1 ram since 2003.
LEH authorizations awarded - 3.

Is that right?? Wow, can't believe only one ram has been shot since 2003. Even tougher hunt than I thought!

jml11
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Is that right?? Wow, can't believe only one ram has been shot since 2003. Even tougher hunt than I thought!

Maybe he is just trying to get the odds reduced :wink:.

Kinds makes you wonder why the odds are so high though if success is so poor.

6616, any ideas on hunter participation in this hunt? Almost makes you wonder if the tags are even being bought?

bearslayer01
06-22-2010, 09:41 PM
no way man tags are definately being bought its only my 2nd time applying for the draw and i couldent even get a goat tag at less than 1 to 1 i have no ideas how i got it but is it possible that the hunt code numbers from the internet can lie when compared to the letter we get in the mail

bearslayer01
06-22-2010, 09:45 PM
do u know the biologists number incharge of that area i would like to get a hold of him to see what he has to say

Brambles
06-22-2010, 10:01 PM
two legal rams got hit by cars in 2009, as of early 2010 I believe there is only one legal ram and a squeeker that may or may not be legal this coming season. Hopefully they don't broom themselves back to not legal status.
Good luck, its not an easy tag even when there were plentiful legal rams, even harder now.

bearslayer01
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
i have heard that the cars kill more legal rams than people do so whats the deal with the feeding station

boxhitch
06-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Lots of wishful applicants, dreaming of sheep.
Why does anybody apply for any draw over 20/1 odds ? or even 10/1 ?

jml11
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Lots of wishful applicants, dreaming of sheep.
Why does anybody apply for any draw over 20/1 odds ? or even 10/1 ?

The chances of drawing a 20:1 (5%) or 10:1 (10%) hunt are substantially better than at 300:1 (0.33%). My point was with odds that poor you would expect it to be a gimme hunt. Based on some of the responses here, that is clearly not the case. Seems you would be better off applying for lower odds sheep hunts, where the chance at a ram is apparently much better with a much greater chance of drawing the tag and being able to participate in the hunt.

06-22-2010, 11:14 PM

6616, any ideas on hunter participation in this hunt? Almost makes you wonder if the tags are even being bought?

I think participation is pretty high.

06-22-2010, 11:15 PM
two legal rams got hit by cars in 2009, as of early 2010 I believe there is only one legal ram and a squeeker that may or may not be legal this coming season. Hopefully they don't broom themselves back to not legal status.
Good luck, its not an easy tag even when there were plentiful legal rams, even harder now.

Plus there's been at least one poached in 2008, maybe others.

06-22-2010, 11:29 PM

Same thing will happen with the 4-15B hunt. Small herd, MOE decides a harvest of one ram a year is allowable, first couple of years the guys who get drawn shoot crankers and the reputation builds. Guys start expecting an easy hunt and big rams, but it wouldn't be on LEH if there were lots of sheep. I wouldn't even bother applying for those hunts when 20 times better sheep hunting can be had in the EK and it's GOS on top of that...??? Only difference is there's a little more competition, but a heck of a lot more rams.

BCrams
06-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Sounds like the Salmo draw isn't one to put in. I met and chatted with a guy who shot a huge ram on his Salmo draw when he was up here a few years ago. It wasn't without an incredible effort and lots of time.

deeks1989
06-23-2010, 12:03 AM
well I was up there tonight looking for a bit but was disturbed by a 6' 1" Big Blacky that my buddy dropped so I will let you guys know if I even see any......It is going to be one heck of a hard hunt!

Ghost Stalker
06-23-2010, 12:33 AM
there were 4 big legal rams killed by a woman a few yrs back. 1 poached last spring, and another that i saw hit by car last yr. i haul over that hill often and there was one other legal one that i had seen but he must have moved off(never heard if he was hit or not). they are giving out 10 tags so good luck.

bighornbob
06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
The chances of drawing a 20:1 (5%) or 10:1 (10%) hunt are substantially better than at 300:1 (0.33%). My point was with odds that poor you would expect it to be a gimme hunt. Based on some of the responses here, that is clearly not the case. Seems you would be better off applying for lower odds sheep hunts, where the chance at a ram is apparently much better with a much greater chance of drawing the tag and being able to participate in the hunt.

Why are any of the Kootenay sheep tags as high as they are??? Like 6616 said its based on reputation. When was the last time you heard a cranker sheep coming out of the Phillips creek area (I have not heard of any since the americans started feeding the sheep on their side of the line.

What about the Mt. Assiniboine hunts, these are farthest thing from a gimmie and some hunts are 60:1??

I think for the most part odds are driven up by (1) guys that have no sheep hunting expereince and hope for easy hunt like a few past hunters have had. These guys are also out of the sheep hunting loop so they have no way of knowing if the hunt is a gimmie or a tough hunt.

And (2) by guys that sheep hunt and hope to beat the odds as they know its not a gimmie but they know of the maybe small pocket that may hold a big sheep.

BHB

BCrams
06-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Why are any of the Kootenay sheep tags as high as they are??? Like 6616 said its based on reputation. When was the last time you heard a cranker sheep coming out of the Phillips creek area (I have not heard of any since the americans started feeding the sheep on their side of the line.

What about the Mt. Assiniboine hunts, these are farthest thing from a gimmie and some hunts are 60:1??

I think for the most part odds are driven up by (1) guys that have no sheep hunting expereince and hope for easy hunt like a few past hunters have had. These guys are also out of the sheep hunting loop so they have no way of knowing if the hunt is a gimmie or a tough hunt.

And (2) by guys that sheep hunt and hope to beat the odds as they know its not a gimmie but they know of the maybe small pocket that may hold a big sheep.

BHB

Concur what BHB says. Especially with regards to (1). I'm willing to bet the majority of hunters who put in for the Ashnola for example are non-sheep hunting lower mainlanders because of the close proximity to where they live.

Looking at the harvest success for the Assiniboine draw. More often than not, I'll bet the years of no harvest are by tag holders with little to no experience sheep hunting or have the 'means' like horses versus when someone who knows what they're doing and where to go, stands a good chance at taking a ram which are taken by BHB example (2).

06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Concur what BHB says. Especially with regards to (1). I'm willing to bet the majority of hunters who put in for the Ashnola for example are non-sheep hunting lower mainlanders because of the close proximity to where they live.

Looking at the harvest success for the Assiniboine draw. More often than not, I'll bet the years of no harvest are by tag holders with little to no experience sheep hunting or have the 'means' like horses versus when someone who knows what they're doing and where to go, stands a good chance at taking a ram which are taken by BHB example (2).

Someone who draws a tag and goes sheep hunting is now a "sheep hunter", no??

GoatGuy
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Assiniboine's all about timing.

There have been some fairly experienced guys go in there and come out empty handed.

BCrams
06-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Assiniboine's all about timing.

There have been some fairly experienced guys go in there and come out empty handed.

Good point on timing ... whats the deal in having those earlier draws if no sheep are there and the outfitter can fill his quota late?? Perhaps the outfit should only be allowed 1 tag earlier and 1 tag late....or both tags earlier in Oct and Resi tags late October.

Late Oct / 1st week November. :wink:

For anyone putting in for Assiniboine ..... do not bother putting in for the Oct 1st to Oct 18 tags. As pointed out. Its all about "timing" and those dates are not considered within the ideal timing. I think the outfitter should have his tags allocated to the Oct 1st - 18th and those two resident tags transferred over to the last two hunts for 2 tags for each of the last 2 weeks.

bearslayer01
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
this is true i know the guy that guids for the outfitter in assiniboine and they have killed some 180 inch rams just about every year and he told me to put in for the late hunt sooo i did ... but i got the salmo 1 so either i got my hunt codes messed up or i got my second choice which is kinda odd

deeks1989
06-23-2010, 11:51 AM
here are some of the pics of the salmo sheep, one of the legal rams that is probably dead now....due to cars.:confused:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v162/234/77/515033719/n515033719_218395_9844.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=218395&id=515033719)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v162/234/77/515033719/n515033719_218396_907.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=218395&id=515033719)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v162/234/77/515033719/n515033719_218397_1677.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=218395&id=515033719)
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v162/234/77/515033719/n515033719_218394_9096.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=218395&id=515033719)

bighornbob
06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Someone who draws a tag and goes sheep hunting is now a "sheep hunter", no??

Yes you are technically correct, but when i say "Sheep hunter" I mean someone that hunts sheep every year regardless of getting a sheep draw, someone willing to go spend a weekend in the Ashnola area looking for or at sheep regardless if they have a tag in their pocket.

How many times have I read it on this site that guys complain about not being able to sheep hunt, because they never get drawn, yet half the province is open to a general open season tag. Some places that have a LEH hunt also have a concuring GOS, yet no one hunts it but the "sheep guys"

BHB

GoatGuy
06-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes you are technically correct, but when i say "Sheep hunter" I mean someone that hunts sheep every year regardless of getting a sheep draw, someone willing to go spend a weekend in the Ashnola area looking for or at sheep regardless if they have a tag in their pocket.

How many times have I read it on this site that guys complain about not being able to sheep hunt, because they never get drawn, yet half the province is open to a general open season tag. Some places that have a LEH hunt also have a concuring GOS, yet no one hunts it but the "sheep guys"

BHB

Cause it's wayyyyy easier to sit and home and complain about the LEH system.

06-23-2010, 03:11 PM

BHB

Just curious? How many sheep does a person need to kill before being considered a sheep hunter?

sako_300
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Just curious? How many sheep does a person need to kill before being considered a sheep hunter?

Easy answer - none.

HD95
06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Hey,anyone who goes hunting sheep is a sheep hunter.

bearslayer01
06-23-2010, 07:23 PM
thats awsome man thanks for the pics

Everett
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
I drive the pass up to 20 times a year and I would say there are over 40 sheep in that heard as I have seen more than that in a single drive. Sad to hear a couple big guys got hit as I have been watching a few for the last few years.

deeks1989
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I posted this pic just last winter.....this is a ram that might be legal this year due to the hook at the end of his horn. anyways this pic I took was last winter of course at the feeder so i'll post it again.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs151.snc3/17855_433132965424_651515424_10532913_7108740_n.jp g (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=13078824&id=651515424)
He should be up there this year!

bigben
06-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Since living in the kootenays and everyone knows everyone there are two people I know that have the draw for this area and knowing the area well they are going to be in for a tough hunt but nevertheless they have a convient sheep tag in our 6 49 draws both people are savvy sheep hunters and have friends that are more the exceptional that are going to help them .........the sheep are tough up there for I helped a friend hunt them twice and was successful on one of the hunts the other was not in the right place at the right time ........they are there but its all timing and if its hit right the sheep can be obtained ....... Good luck to all the participants in this years hunt your going to have a great hunt

21guns
11-01-2010, 11:40 AM
thats awsome man thanks for the pics
hey how did ya do???