PDA

View Full Version : Want to try for a Caribou this fall

bear buster
06-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had luck north of FSJ? Seen some years ago up by 163, havent been up that way for 10-12 years. don't really have the time or the $ for a long trip, have heard of guys getting them up that way in the past.

hunter1947
06-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I have been informed that there are still good numbers of caribou around the mile 178 mark back in toward redfern lake..

luckynuts
06-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Season ends sept 30th. If you can wait until the end of the month bulls start moving with the cows a little more and have a bit better mane. Access off the hiway is tough if your hiking on foot. (meaning it's a long pack as quads are restricted over 1400m which is the first mountain ridge you come too. 7-57, 7-42, around where you suggested. Racing river area, Nonda creek rd and muncho lk for up north though you have to be 1.6 km from the hiway.

I find the worse the weather is the bigger bulls I see are on the move, well at least in my experience. If you really want a caribou save up and look into a fly in trip or river boat. Or better yet put in for atlin leh. Fairly easy hunt and you have a longer season.Otherwise I would do a combo hunt with friends go for moose with a boo tag in your pocket. Good luck. If you are hunting for meat:rolleyes: better shoot it in August though that is now a 5 point season too.

ps My buddy shot a 40" wide boo last year up north coming out from his sheep trip. Absolutely gorgeous long white mane though only a 5x4 up top but 20" long points.

Good Luck

W.