PDA

View Full Version : definition of ''ferel''vs ''gamebird/animal''

ratherbefishin
04-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Over the last century or so, quite a number of non resident species have been introduced ,with or without official sanction and some have been accorded ''game'' designation-while others aren't.Some may be domestic gone wild[ferel],others were simply introduced clandestinely,or even officially.I would be interested to know when does a fish,bird or animal becomes ''game'' and who makes the decision?

ie.Cotton tail rabbits, hogs,goats, bullfrogs, yellow perch and black squirrels are I believe ''ferel''and unregulated while turkeys, bison,pheasants,California quail are accorded ''game '' status subject to seasons and bag limits

What is the criteria-does anyone know?

ryanb
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
I believe it is predicated on their sporting value to the hunter, along with their impact on the environment. If they are a detriment to native species, plant life, or the environment, they are considered ferrl, or vermin.

huntwriter
04-09-2006, 01:59 PM
As far as I know there are a variety of facts to conceder in the classification. Such as how long ago has the animal been introduced. Obviously an animal that has been here for lets say 150 to 200 years could be viewed as a resident and be classified differently than an animal that has been newely introduced, lets say the last 50 years or less.

The classification "feral" is only used for animals that are of domestic origin, i.e. feral pig, which is not to be confused with a wild boar that has been imported from Europe or Russia for the speical purpose of hunting. Even if such wild boars escape they are still classified as "game" animal because they are not domesticated animals gone wild (feral).

A domestic born and raised turkey is feral. A wild turkey captured and transfered to another region where he commonly is not found is a "game" bird, even if the bird might have lived for a brief time in an enclosure. Here in B.C. the turkey is a game bird in America where he originated the turkey is a "upland bird". So is the pheasant because it is in America for longer than 200 years. I have not read much about the bird classification but I do know the pheasants in B.C. are too classified as game birds, evenso they came from domestic stock but a very long time ago.

Foxer
04-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Black squirrels and the like are still regulated i think.

ratherbefishin
04-09-2006, 07:21 PM
I didn't think black squirrels were regulated-in BC,where they are considered an interloper,pushing out the native red squirrels.But-back east and in other parts of the country,cottontail rabbits and squirrels are considered ''game''animals with seasons and bag limits.The bison at Pink mountain were I believe part of a herd of domesticated bison that went wild-and are now considered a ''game'' animal.Yellow perch were clandestinely introduced into Elk lake on Vancouver Island[as were bullfrogs]-and fisheries wants them out-but in other places yellow perch are considered a game fish.I understand in some river systems they are killng off introduced rainbow trout even though they have been there for 100 years because they are competing with native bull trout.
So-again-who makes the decision and what constitutes an undesirable species?ie-I understand the trout in Elk lake are bigger that surrounding lakes because of the yellow perch which they feed on-and lures imitating yellow perch are effective in taking the trout

boxhitch
04-10-2006, 08:13 AM
I would have to guess that the decision would be made by the Provincal Ministry. They may or may not be the iniciator of the effort, it may be brought about by a lobby group, just as some other 'listed' species, be it wildlife, protected, endangered, etc.
Some introductions are clandestinely done, by someone who feels he is doing the world a favor, or more likely just for self interest. Perch are an example, and also more lakes are getting Bass added.
Starlings are a good example of an introduction gone bad.