PDA

View Full Version : Hunting and Fishing in the Peace Region

hillclimber
06-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Well I received a LEH for Elk in 7-20A from December to February and was wondering if anyone could recommend any place to go Ice Fishing while I am up there. I am focusing on the Hudson's Hope area right now but am open to other areas as well.

Also if anyone has any tips or tricks or recommends a particular place to focus on either hunting or fishing I would greatly appreciate it as well. I would really like to harvest a bull elk:-D

Thanks for your time,
Stefan

moosinaround
06-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Yer tag for antlerless, or either sex? I am assuming either sex. Hope for lots of cold weather, and Lots of snow! That will push them into the fields. If it is warm and not much snow then they will stay in the rutting areas and access will be tough for humans. Take a sled and skimmer and snow shoes. I will see yah up there. Oh don't buy fuel at the Turbo in HH, I learned that lesson the hard way!! Moosin

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Inga lake will produce some nice pan fry trout it is a stocked lake mile 91 Alaska hwy and the road turns into the upper cash with lots of elk around and allot of private property with some crown land also but it will take you back to Hudson hope hwy.. you also can drive up the Farrell creek road to i think 44 km to the haystack and that will take you to the 95 road off the Alaska hwy so you could do a big loop cheers Jamie

hillclimber
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advise moosinaround and yes my tag is for either sex. I may have access to a snowmobile but I will see about that. What's wrong with the Turbo in Hudson's Hope?

hillclimber
06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Inga lake will produce some nice pan fry trout it is a stocked lake mile 91 Alaska hwy and the road turns into the upper cash with lots of elk around and allot of private property with some crown land also but it will take you back to Hudson hope hwy.. you also can drive up the Farrell creek road to i think 44 km to the haystack and that will take you to the 95 road off the Alaska hwy so you could do a big loop cheers Jamie

Thanks a lot for the information Jamie! Do you know if the 95 road is the Halfway road in the backroads map book?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
ya i think so but i just know as the 95 it has the native reserve on it, there is a lot of elk around this area too cheers Jamie

moosehunter21
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
jamie the haystack is at 45 to the right at 44 is the burle prarie road on the left. just to clairify. but yeah inga has some nice fishin.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
jamie the haystack is at 45 to the right at 44 is the burle prarie road on the left. just to clairify. but yeah inga has some nice fishin.
right on thanks it's been awhile since i worked up there lots of good hunting Berle prairie another good one!!:) lots of loops can be done ..word of caution it might be busy with oil and gas this winter...:neutral:

Bear Chaser
06-21-2010, 11:12 PM
right on thanks it's been awhile since i worked up there lots of good hunting Berle prairie another good one!!:) lots of loops can be done ..word of caution it might be busy with oil and gas this winter...:neutral:

Beryl Prairie is a zoo with oil & gas activity right now and they are just getting started. Same with Septimus, Groundbirch and soon to be the Cypress areas.

hillclimber
06-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Do you guys think that the oil & gas rigs would be taking a brake during Christmas at all?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Do you guys think that the oil & gas rigs would be taking a brake during Christmas at all?
ya there are no breaks in the oil patch:-|

Bear Chaser
06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
ya there are no breaks in the oil patch:-|

If they are actively drilling they might shut down Christmas Day.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
06-23-2010, 12:11 AM
If they are actively drilling they might shut down Christmas Day.

key word is MIGHT ...but who knows for sure it's the oil patch..up and down like a hookers panties on a saturday night.:mrgreen:

hillclimber
06-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Ya I figured the rigs wouldn't shut down. Any recommendations for lodging in Hudson's Hope?

hillclimber
07-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Also just wondering if I should have received a package with a list of farmers phone numbers for this hunt?

lunatic
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
The drilling rigs will NOT shut down on any day if they are still drilling the well. IF they finish a well close to Christmas then SOME not ALL will shutdown till after either Christmas or New Years as it can be a royal PITA to get services at that time. In the last 26 years I have had 3 Christmases off!

BlacktailStalker
07-24-2010, 03:51 PM
key word is MIGHT ...but who knows for sure it's the oil patch..up and down like a hookers panties on a saturday night.:mrgreen:

The busy ones don't wear any.

Jetboater
07-24-2010, 04:25 PM
The busy ones don't wear any.

Nice! I hope you dont know!

BlacktailStalker
07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Just an assumption !

Bear Chaser
07-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Also just wondering if I should have received a package with a list of farmers phone numbers for this hunt?

I believe you'll have to contact the Fort St. John or Dawson Conservation office. Both of my kids drew that tag on the youth hunt and we didn't receive anything other than the authorization.
Good luck.

MuleyMadness
07-25-2010, 09:16 AM
This was the lady in FSJ who we contacted last year:

Julie Kline
Hunt Coordinator
1-866-751-4868 (toll free)
1-250-787-3368 (w)
400-10003 110th Ave
Fort St. John, BC V1J 6M7
Peace.hunt@gov.bc.ca

Use the email to request info and a spot on one of the farmers places who are in the program. Just an FYI if you want to be officially in the program, you will need to travel to FSJ, meet with the hunt coordinator (during business hours of course), go over all your info, then head back out to the spot that they have a place for you in....it may well be worth it but just wanted to let you know about the extra time committment involved there. You don't NEED to go through this process to hunt the animals on any farmers land that is not involved in the program, you just need the farmers permission. As well, the LEH hunt is not only for private but crown land as well, so you have that option while up there. If you have time to meet with the HC in FSJ then cover all your bases and get a reserved spot, as these are the farmers who have problem elk, but just know that it's not an absolute necessity. And pray for snow, lots of it, and cold. If you have that, they are like vermin in many fields.