PDA

View Full Version : LEH 7-26 horseback question?

BiG Boar
06-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Hi internet folk,
I have got a bull moose shared draw for 7-26. Before the draw though I booked some pack horses to rent for Sept 25-oct 10th. I am thinking of taking the horses to 7-26 and hunting there, we didnt know we would win the draw. I have never done a horseback hunt before but am taking a horse packing course next week, for a week, so hopefully I will be ready. My wife won the grizzly draw so she would be coming too, and she is in on the shared moose hunt. My question is, for people who have hunted the area, will this idea work? Are there trails and places to go far from the madding crowd? I have only done a weekend moose hunt there before, but I am hoping this will work. I just dont want to have quad/major horse/truck conflict issues. Hopefully a few of you will know the area better than me and can answer this question honestly. Thanks, feel free to PM or respond here.

BiG Boar
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
So no one is hunting 7-26 or has hunted it? Man. Sure sounds remote, hopefully there are plenty of moosies then.

blackbart
06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, a whole eleven hours and two minutes between asking for some help on an area that you know nothing about and lashing out for a lack of response.

I am sure that there are lots of moose. Not so sure that the MU in question is great horse ground, but I have not hunted in that location to know for sure. Open for correction.

Call me the jerk in this equation, but would one not prefer to research the area, trails etc prior to applying and booking horses? Oh yes, you could have made previous plans and applied on a whim and am now trying to decide 1) Do I change plans and try for the LEH tags so as not to waste the tags or 2) Burn the tags and go with the orig plan that involved horses.

Either way best o luck to you and the missus.

GoatGuy
06-21-2010, 07:55 PM
If taking horses go up north wouldn't bother with 7-26.

Contact Sitkaspruce he should have a good idea.

demlake
06-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I've never hunted with horses, and I've only been hunting for a couple years, but I do know 7-26 fairly well.

There is vehicle access both east (North Road) and west (Leo Creek and the 300 Road), and a pretty extensive logging road network throughout.

The most remote part of it is the far western end (west of middle river), which contains some pretty big hills. That might be the best place for horses?

As GG said, SitkaSpruce might be the person to contact.

Good luck with it.

dl

moosinaround
06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I have done silviculture surveys up in that part of the world, not that remote, not as remote as Fort Ware. I would leave the horses at home and take the quads. No ATV restrictions, and LOTS of road systems to travel on. Now I am not sure of deactivations up there, so a phone call to BC timber sales might yield some light as to what systems are permanently deactivated. If they have tore up a bunch of roads, those might be good candidates for horses?? Anyways that is my experience up there, You will pop a bull in end of sept begin oct for sure!!! I would take an elk tag along with you too, I have heard that there is a herd somewhere up in that part of the world, and it would suck to have to just watch a 6 pointer instead of eat him!! Good luck there Dave, a grizz might not be out of the question up there as well. Try a couple of those explosive tipped Arrows while yer up there, a full report is expected to their accuracy and penetration:wink: Moosin

NaStY
06-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Wow, a whole eleven hours and two minutes between asking for some help on an area that you know nothing about and lashing out for a lack of response.

I am sure that there are lots of moose. Not so sure that the MU in question is great horse ground, but I have not hunted in that location to know for sure. Open for correction.

Call me the jerk in this equation, but would one not prefer to research the area, trails etc prior to applying and booking horses? Oh yes, you could have made previous plans and applied on a whim and am now trying to decide 1) Do I change plans and try for the LEH tags so as not to waste the tags or 2) Burn the tags and go with the orig plan that involved horses.

Either way best o luck to you and the missus.

You just have to know the guy to know he was just being sarcastic...

boxhitch
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Any hunt is about the adventure, and getting there can be the best adventure.
You want to learn about packing horses so you can use them on a hunt , good on you.
You will have a basic know-how after the week long course, the rest can be learned at the School of Hard Knocks. You are setting yourself up for an experience of a lifetime. My hat goes off to you, you have more intestinal fortitude than many.
Would be a good plan to go to a spot not so remote as to loose touch.
Hope you have a good support crew, and all have a tough attitude. That will make it easier in the long haul. As they say, plan for the worst.....
The actual hunt will probably become secondary to your horseing around.

GoatGuy
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Any hunt is about the adventure, and getting there can be the best adventure.
You want to learn about packing horses so you can use them on a hunt , good on you.
You will have a basic know-how after the week long course, the rest can be learned at the School of Hard Knocks. You are setting yourself up for an experience of a lifetime. My hat goes off to you, you have more intestinal fortitude than many.
Would be a good plan to go to a spot not so remote as to loose touch.
Hope you have a good support crew, and all have a tough attitude. That will make it easier in the long haul. As they say, plan for the worst.....
The actual hunt will probably become secondary to your horseing around.

Think he's taking Stan's course and using his horses as well. As good as they get from what I've been told.

Sitkaspruce
06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Dave

Will send you a PM about this when I get a chance as there is a couple spots I can think of right now that horses "Might" be good for.

Cheers

SS

Hunterguy
06-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes you have opened yourself up for some maybe neg. feedback, horses, might be like taking the family with you, with some 11 or 12 year old kids, packed and hunted with my own horses for a few years, maybe in the second year or so learned their personalities, which liked to pack food, which liked to pack game and all their wants and needs. Just from some of your questions and yes your going to take a course on packing, but can you or will you nail on a shoe, if your working the horses hard are you packing in some food, or do you have a base camp, by the sounds of it you want to hunt somewhere where there are not any hunters, hopefully the animals will come first, sounds like a disaster to me, like you said a course in packing but it won't make you a COWBOY! Stick to hunting and let the wranglers take care of all the necessary needs animal wise. Buy an ATV.

Bear Chaser
06-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Yes you have opened yourself up for some maybe neg. feedback, horses, might be like taking the family with you, with some 11 or 12 year old kids, packed and hunted with my own horses for a few years, maybe in the second year or so learned their personalities, which liked to pack food, which liked to pack game and all their wants and needs. Just from some of your questions and yes your going to take a course on packing, but can you or will you nail on a shoe, if your working the horses hard are you packing in some food, or do you have a base camp, by the sounds of it you want to hunt somewhere where there are not any hunters, hopefully the animals will come first, sounds like a disaster to me, like you said a course in packing but it won't make you a COWBOY! Stick to hunting and let the wranglers take care of all the necessary needs animal wise. Buy an ATV.

Hard to argue with this one.
I've been invited on a few horse back hunts and while enjoyable I was with experienced guys every time. Anything that you can think of going wrong could on a horse. I understand Stan's horses are fairly bulletproof but all horses react a little differently to the various events that occur on the trail and around camp.
If horses are the route you choose I would recommend camping next to the truck for this first trip and riding out each morning. Take plenty of Extra strength Tyelenol & Ibuprofen and don't dip too deeply into the liquid painkiller at night.

waistdeep
06-21-2010, 10:45 PM
I have taken Stans course and rented his horses a few times. You will get as good of horses that are out there for packing but that said, on any trip, no wimps allowed! Stuff happens but the best thing you need on your side is some solid knowledge of where are you going so you can plan for water and feed for the horses. Have fun it is worth it as it is in my opinion the best way to hunt ! :)

srupp
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Dave..TIP: WEAR PANTYHOSE under your hunting gear, if you havnt rode horses lots it will keep you from getting rubbed raw and saddlesore...I was quite fond of the queen size in the cute little egg....

Steven

Buck
06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Another member here wears a pink TUTU as well keeps the bugs away i hear.

boxhitch
06-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Dave..TIP: WEAR PANTYHOSE under your hunting gear, if you havnt rode horses lots it will keep you from getting rubbed raw and saddlesore...I was quite fond of the queen size in the cute little egg....

Steven
Should add some smilies to your humour posts
Thats what it is, right, a joke ?
no.......really?.........your not serious are you ?

Brew
06-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Stans horses are great horses to work with. You will learn a lot taking his course. He is a very nice guy and a good teacher. You guys will be fine.

GoatGuy
06-22-2010, 09:10 AM

You have horses that like to pack?

daycort
06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
With horses attitude is everything. They will get the best of you if you let them. Sounds like you are in for an adventure. My bro inlaw took that packing course, and he went there knowing squat about horses, now he has 4 mountain horses and loves it. Bear Chaser's advice about hunting from your trucks and return every night is good though. Will more then likely save you a long walk the first time out.

BiG Boar
06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Thank you for all the responces. Much appriciated! The horses are booked, so I can't get out of that. Now it's just a question of two trips or one. I would prefer 1 as I have 3 totally different trips in the plans for this fall.

BCrams
06-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't believe you need horses for that country (avoid the east half of that unit as I was sorely disapointed with the amount of moose sign last year).

What did you have planned for the horse trip?

BiG Boar
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Thats the thing is that we have nothing really set in stone for the horse trip. We were hoping to target elk, and figure out an area to go in for elk. The problem is, that I dont want problems. There are 3 of us going. 1 rides once a year for 2 weeks so probably knows what hes doing, however hes a bit of a doddler. Everything has to be perfect before we head out. The second one has never riden horses, and I think after 2 days of what I call hard hunting he will be done and sit at camp for the rest of the trip. Its got to be a somewhat easy hunt as these guys arn't hardcore, are older (pushing 60) and out of shape (fairly).

I know I can call moose though, better than elk. We are booked for the moose rutting days, Sept 25 on, and we have a grizzly tag in our pockets.

saddlemaker
06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
This sounds a little scary... Handling multiple horses in the wilderness can get the inexperienced in over their head really easily. That being said it is an awsome way of travelling the back country and you have to start somewhere.

Feed and water are really important. Horses welfare comes first.
Practice your hitches and knots before you go! You may have to do it with just a headlamp for light.
A knowledge of some trails is a big help. Experienced horseman see the wrecks before they happen !
I pre pack the horses daily grain rations in Ziplock bags. Works great ( Use nose bags) Muzzle your pack horses.
Use good equipment.
Riding all day is hard work.

Mules work well too!

Have fun!!

GoatGuy
06-22-2010, 02:06 PM
sit at camp for the rest of the trip

This is ideal - been looking for a guy like that for a while. Someone who can look after the horses all day, keep the fire hot and the beer cold.

Evaluate your comfort level with the horses after the course - talk to Stan and see what he says.

oneheadshot
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
im interested in this coures any info on stan or the course would be appreciated:-D

saddlemaker
06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
an oldtimer up here just made a dvd on packing... Havn,t seen it yet but he is very knowedgeable. Call him at 250-378-5914 (Don) I am sure it will be priced half of what it should be.

capper911
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Good luck getting anywhere near a grizz with a horse!! :confused: I have owned horses for more than 20 years and if the horses pick up the scent of any bear they will be long gone before you ever see it!! Happy trails......

Burger64
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Been there done that.I recommend doin it once in your life time.Horses are a Shiet load of work.Almost need a full time wrangler.One trip through the Muskeg and you'll be thinkin why didnt I just hire the 185..But all the negative stuff aside it gets you into some remote country wich is the key.http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/Hunting/P9290417-1.jpghttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/Hunting/P9290415-1.jpg

takla1
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Next yr put in for 7-27,theres a real good trail into friday lake {horse only,i know i tried to get in by quad...didnt work!!},you have to go in thru west takla all the way up to sinta creek,theres a road there that branchs south toward friday

boxhitch
06-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice pics Burger.
Any close-ups of the strap system ?:)

The Hermit
06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/MMayan/Hunting/P9290417-1.jpg

I've been watching the TV series LOST for the past week and those black swirls made me laugh like hell!! Still laughing!

I would love to do a horse trip sometime and my hat's off to you for taking the course and getting out there! Please please please take lots of pictures and daily notes to use as you write up the hunt for us later!

As said in my PM I think the western part of 7-26 in the hills would be the place to go with the horses. Of course I know SFA about horses so take that for what its worth! Find a remote lake up in the hills and ride in there!